ISU Grand Prix announced | Page 5 | Golden Skate

ISU Grand Prix announced

No matter what, Kostner's silver medal at worlds guarenteed that she would not have to skate against either Asada or Kim, and that she must skate against two of the three {Nakano, Rochette and Meier}.
Very true, In Russia she has Flatt, and the very lucky Sebestyen. I still contend Kostner will do no worse than 2 silver medals and be there in the Finals.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Very true, In Russia she has Flatt, and the very lucky Sebestyen. I still contend Kostner will do no worse than 2 silver medals and be there in the Finals.

hahaha, Granny made a grand prix final back in 2006. Looks like we get to see Granny again.

enlight78

Medalist
I am so HAPPY katrina hacker has two GP events. I don't believe Carolina K. is a show in to the final. If any of the American ladies step up and Carolina repeat her problems in the long, Carolina could possibly get a bronze and a fourth setting her up to miss the GPF.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kostner has proved she is a top contender the past two seasons. Yes, she is one of those warm/cold skaters but if this past Worlds is any indication she'll be given the benefit of the doubt.

1. I just don't think all individual GPs are equal in strength. Compare SA to CoC...
Actually, it's kind of interesting to compare the ladies' rosters.

I think the perceived difference in strength between Skate America and Cup of China consists entirely in the relative standings of the skaters from the host nations. China has no one of their own to send except for Liu and Wang (they didn’t fill their third slot), whereas anyone the U.S. assigns to Skate America is bound to be pretty strong.

Both events have Kim, Ando, Poykio and Leung (also Yiu). So, except for the U.S. and Chinese skaters, the only difference between the two events is

Skate America: Nakano, Marchei, Dytrt and Karademir

Cup of China: Meier, Lepisto, Sebestyen, Leonova.
Joesitz said:
Very true, In Russia [Kostner] has Flatt, and the very lucky Sebestyen. I still contend Kostner will do no worse than 2 silver medals and be there in the Finals.
True, but the same can be said for all of the medalists from worlds. Kim and Asada, too, should easily do no worse than two silvers and make the finals.

In fact, on paper, Asada is the one with the easiest path. Her only competiton is Rochette and Zhang in France and Nakano and Nagasu in NHK.

As for Sebestyen, I wouldn't say her draw is the button on fortune's cap. She will have to face Yu-na Kim, Caroline Kostner, Miki Ando, Sarah Meier twice, Meissner and Flatt, as well as Takeda and all the Finns: Poykio, Lepisto and Vahaama. A tall order for the 2004 European champ!

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Actually, it's kind of interesting to compare the ladies' rosters.

I think the perceived difference in strength between Skate America and Cup of China consists entirely in the relative standings of the skaters from the host nations. China has no one of their own to send except for Liu and Wang (they didn’t fill their third slot), whereas anyone the U.S. assigns to Skate America is bound to be pretty strong.

Both events have Kim, Ando, Poykio and Leung (also Yiu). So, except for the U.S. and Chinese skaters, the only difference between the two events is

Skate America: Nakano, Marchei, Dytrt and Karademir

Cup of China: Meier, Lepisto, Sebestyen, Leonova.True, but the same can be said for all of the medalists from worlds. Kim and Asada, too, should easily do no worse than two silvers and make the finals.
And Meier, Lepisto, and Sebestyen combined are stronger than Nakano, Marchei and either Dytrt, who's returning after a year off from singles, or Karademir. So that quite a bit to balance out the pack, since Kim, Ando, and Poykio can be very strong, and the first two can be dominant.

:clap: Mathman!

I'm really glad to see that our two boys from Sweden, Berntsson and Schultheiss, got two assignements each.
I'm thrilled for these two. I've adored Berntsson since I first saw him in Malmo; Schultheiss I saw for the first time in Gothenburg.

I know Bernsston didn't have the home Worlds he had hoped for, but he's got a lot of talent, and I hope he comes back strong this year.

Last edited:
It's hard to think of the 'Also Rans' as we say after the results of horse racing.

SA has: Nakano, Kim, Flatt, Nagasu as the most likely for the podium less 1 unfortunate and the bronze better win in her next event.

While it will be nice to see a healthy Ando, and a much improved Tech of Poykio, and a snap to attention Meissner, they are wait and sees.

The Also Rans do not figure in this at all. So it's 4 tough ones, and 3 maybe surprises.

CoC has: Kim, Meier as the most likely for gold and silver. Bronze ???

Again Ando, Poykio are wait and sees.

What China has are interesting Other Runners: Lepisto, Hacker, Wagner.

One thing for sure is that we should be able to see some improvements where necessary in the above skaters.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Hawker vs. Samson

I still don't understand why Skate Canada gave the 3rd spot to Samson, not to Hawker.

Any speculations on that one?

And who is going to fill the blank on men's, pairs' and dance's spots at Skate Canada? Boy, We will see some serious skate-offs at Nebelhorn.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hawker's results last season were not good: 9th at Skate Canada (she did beat Cynthia Phaneuf there), 7th at NHK. Hawker did beat Samson at Nationals by almost 12.5 points, but was edged (2.5 points) by Phaneuf, losing a spot at 4CC. That's what did her in.

However, I don't agree that Samson is the better skater. Samson's SB is a meager 125.91 points, second rate even at the Junior level, but very low at the Senior level.

Sackie

Medalist
I think Skate Canada is looking at it from the point of view as who will be around in a couple years when Joannie retires. Samson can not do JGP this year ( I think I'm correct in this one) so the only way to keep her in the international eye is to send her to SC. I think it's called planning for the future. Samson does have the goods and could on a good day beat Leslie if she could only hold herself together and skate a clean long with no changes. However she has a habit of rearranging her programs and leaving jump passes out. Internaionally Samson's style is liked a bit better then Leslie who always gets low PCS marks even when she has high TES marks. In China she had the 2nd highest TES and the 8th PCS marks. Samson even beat Rachel Flatt in a short program last year - so on any given day she can do it. I wonder too if it's Skate Canada's way of rewarding Samson for making the top 10 at JW and earning us more JR spots.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
No doubt Samson is the most promising of all the "upcoming juniors (sigh)" in Canada. However, she is not yet of the same calibre as that of Hawker. Samson's jumps are bigger than Hawker's, but she is no where close to Hawker in consistency and basic skating skills.

I still don't understand why Skate Canada didn't wait for Quebec Summer Competitions and Nebelhorn to monitor Samson before putting her name in. Samson will be competing against the likes of Rochette, Phaneuf, Lacoste in Quebec and this will be a good indicator as to where she is at.

Sackie

Medalist
Fumie - I hope your faith in Joannie is founded. She does seem to go up and down like Manley did until she was able to put it altogether at the Olympics and worlds the same year. The Olympics have proven that quite often the favs going into them do not come out on top esp in the ladies event. Guess the pressure of the Olympics takes a tole and someone unexpected - like a Joannie can come through because all eyes are elsewhere.

nadster

Final Flight
I think Skate Canada is looking at it from the point of view as who will be around in a couple years when Joannie retires. I think it's called planning for the future. Samson does have the goods and could on a good day beat Leslie if she could only hold herself together and skate a clean long with no changes. However she has a habit of rearranging her programs and leaving jump passes out. Internaionally Samson's style is liked a bit better then Leslie who always gets low PCS marks even when she has high TES marks. In China she had the 2nd highest TES and the 8th PCS marks. Samson even beat Rachel Flatt in a short program last year - so on any given day she can do it. I wonder too if it's Skate Canada's way of rewarding Samson for making the top 10 at JW and earning us more JR spots.

Looking to the future is all fine and dandy but if Samson finishes outside the top 8 at SC ( very likely ) , she will gain no ISU points and will be back to where Hawker is right now

It is nice to say " thanks for giving us 2 JW spots next year" but the chances of Canada keeping 2 JW spots for next year are slim given the lack of quality of our other junior ladies. Samson is miles better than any of out JGP-bound ladies for next season.

Realistically we have to look at our novices and pre-novices. We should be able to add jumps to their arsenal when they turn junior and senior ( currently we can't seem to guide our top novices/pre-novices past the triple salchow/ toe loop when they move to junior or senior). Solving this problem is really the issue of looking for the future.

I still don't understand why Skate Canada didn't wait for Quebec Summer Competitions and Nebelhorn to monitor Samson before putting her name in. Samson will be competing against the likes of Rochette, Phaneuf, Lacoste in Quebec and this will be a good indicator as to where she is at.

Totally agree here. Lacoste is worth looking at if she can overcome the injury demons. Injuries ( a constant factor over the last 3 or 4 years) have slowed down her progress considerably. I would love to see a Samson-Hawker skateoff at Nebelhorn ( consistent with how SC fills 3rd spots in all other disciplines).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Samson even beat Rachel Flatt in a short program last year - so on any given day she can do it. I wonder too if it's Skate Canada's way of rewarding Samson for making the top 10 at JW and earning us more JR spots.

Let's be real here.

Samson beat Flatt by 0.4 in the SP at JGP GER, where the caller was unusually harsh on Flatt. In the FS, despite having several jumps downgraded, Flatt beat Samson by almost 10 points---4.17 in TES and 5.49 in PCS---and won the silver medal. Samson was 5th.

At JW, Flatt beat Samson in the SP by 17.87 points. Samson had her best FS of the season at JW, but Flatt beat her in the FS by 30.85 points---17.36 in TES and 13.49 in PCS.

Sure, if Samson can improve her performance by 50 points, she can be competitive with Flatt and Zhang.

Eevun

Final Flight
I'm really glad to see that our two boys from Sweden, Berntsson and Schultheiss, got two assignements each. I'm really going to try to follow the GP competitions this year. Hopefully I'll be able to watch it over the internet. And the line-up for SA is insane! I almost choked when I realized that Evan and Johnny were both on that event. I hope KVDP will be able to make it to SA. My hihghlight however will be NHK. Gotta love the Japanese. Takahashi is my absolute favourite, Weir is going to be there, as well as our very own Adrian. Awesome. No Plushenko in sight though. Just have to wait and see what happens there. I really do love the summer. But please, let it be autumn soon.

Oh, hello darling :) Thanks for telling me about our boys! (this is what I get when I'm away for a couple of days ;) )
GP starts huuge with SA; KvdP (I really hope he'll make it...), Adrian (I'm so proud of him) and Johnny :)love: 'nuff said), WOW. I'm quite curious about Brian too, he did very well at Worlds. All this is going to be soo exciting!! :clap:

Go, go Kristoffer & Adrian!!

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Entries Ladies

Nine ladies from the USA

(Rachael Flatt, Kimmie Meissner, Mirai Nagasu, Alissa Czisny, Beatrisa Liang, Caroline Zhang, Katrina Hacker, Ashley Wagner, Emily Hughes)

and only six from Japan

(Miki Ando, Yukari Nakano, Fumie Suguri, Nana Takeda, Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki).

How it is possible?

merrybari

Final Flight
Nine ladies from the USA

(Rachael Flatt, Kimmie Meissner, Mirai Nagasu, Alissa Czisny, Beatrisa Liang, Caroline Zhang, Katrina Hacker, Ashley Wagner, Emily Hughes)

and only six from Japan

How it is possible?

I'm guessing depth of field rather than strength of top skaters. Just a thought.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Nine ladies from the USA

and only six from Japan

How it is possible?

Good relations between the US and other host countries?
USA has 3 ladies in CAN, FRA and JPN. In return the US SGP has

from CAN
1 lady, 3 men, 1 pair, 1 dance team

from FRA
2 dance teams

from JPN
2 ladies, 1 man

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Nine ladies from the USA

and only six from Japan

How it is possible?

With the exceptions of Alissa Czisny and Akiko Suzuki all of the above were guaranteed at least one assignment, I believe. At least I know for a fact all the American girls were, by way of the Season's Best list if by nothing else, I'm pretty sure Suguri and Ando were as well, I don't think it likely Takeda wasn't, and of course Mao and Yukari were both seeded. So the answer is, as stated, depth of field; they were able to send that many skaters to international events who all did well enough.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Spots are given in the Grand Prix based on the performance of the skaters in the past year rather than by country.

Bebe and Kimmie were top 10 at Worlds (get 2 spots). Katrina Hacker was 6th at 4C's. Rachael, Mirai and Caroline were top 3 at Jr. Worlds. Ashley and Emily had high enough seasonal bests that they would have placed 7th at Worlds. Alissa's seasonal best would have been 12th (0.01 ahead of 12th place Dyrt at Worlds).