Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: ISU Grand Prix announced

Down With It
    Interesting. My random thoughts: SA looks the most interesting of the bunch...and fittingly it seems to be the one we Americans will get to see on TV (or at least whatever chopped up highlights the network wants us to see). Meissner getting Russia- usually she gets France. interesting also to see that Hacker got two events as well as Nagasu and Flatt. And Sebestyen's been around for 20 years it seems.

And I hear some people saying the American TV ignores the men. I don't think that's the case any more. The highlight will always be the ladies event as long as we have contenders, but the men clearly get second billing at least by NBC (ABC just had Ladies, then everyone else). They were shown last year at SA, and the national's mens event was given a prime time slot last year. If NBC's SA coverage is like last year expect the focus to be solely on singles (which I personally wouldn't mind). They'll probably leave it to Ice Network again for pairs and dance coverage since you can only show so much in two hours, even if you ditched commercials.
    Last edited by R.D.; 06-14-2008 at 04:35 PM.

There doesn't appear to be any questional assignments or non-assignments among the senior US ladies. There were a couple of questionable assignments for the JGP. I expected at least 15 invites and the ladies got 16 as Hughes is apparently competing this upcoming season. That she didn't get 2 assignments perhaps shows the lack of certainty as to her status. In total, 7 ladies got 2 assignments and Czisny and Hughes got 1 each.

The Japanese ladies look a bit shortchanged with only 11 assignments. Takeda got 2 assignments and the 3rd NHK invite went to Suzuki. Perhaps this means that Nishino and Suizu opted for the JGP like Gilles, Maxwell, Musedemba, and Rizo did with the US juniors.

The Finnish ladies got 8 assignments, including 2 assignments for Vahamaa.

The Canadian ladies got 7 assignments, including 2 for Phaneuf, with the Skate Canada invite going to Samson.

Na-Young Kim got only 1 assignment. Apparently being a good host for 4CC didn't get the Korean federation enough clout.

Chief among those who missed out of an assignment are Lesley Hawker and Victoria Pavuk. I hope that the Didiers are training hard.

Asada keeps the Trophee Eric Bompard and trades Skate Canada for the NHK Trophy. Kim keeps the Cup of China and trades the Cup of Russia for Skate America. Zhang's 2nd assignment is the Trophee Bompard. Perhaps we will "only" have to wait 2 weeks rather than 3 to know that she qualifies for the final.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I hope that the Didiers are training hard.
    Zhang's 2nd assignment is the Trophee Bompard. Perhaps we will "only" have to wait 2 weeks rather than 3 to know that she qualifies for the final.
    Zhang is up against Joannie Rochette in both of her events. One will very likely knock the other out, and Rochette will have the home crowd advantage in Canada. At the moment Caroline looks like long shot, since she also faces Mao Asada in France and Carolina Kostner in Canada.

Then again, Caroline is at the age where she might be much improved from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Then again, Caroline is at the age where she might be much improved from last year.
    But, she's also at an age where she might have to deal with the pesky issue of growth spurts. I think it will be difficult to make any predictions about her. Heck, right now I don't feel comfortable making predictions about anyone!

Custom Title
    I was surprised to see that the USFS submitted Emily Hughes and that she got an assignment. I wouldn't be overly surprised if she withdrew, though.

I was suprised to see that Kevin Van Der Perren was selected for Skate America (he is the #6 seed). He recently had surgery on his knee, and I would have thought he would have preferred to have later GP assignments (CoR and/or NHK) if any. I wouldn't be surprised to see him withdraw from SA.

Oh, woe for the US ladies at SA! The USFS doesn't use common sense at ALL! Why have 3 top US ladies at the same event? Especially when the seeds are Nakano (very consistent) and Kim, and then they go and invite Ando!

Mira Leung is really up against it at SA. There is no way she will finish any higher than 7th.

Custom Title
    Key to note that not only Skate America Ladies field is jam-pack and the US ladies will have it tough. But also it is the 1st event, and expect very surprising results.

I expect some sloppy skates, so those who can be clean will achieve the best results. Type of event where even skaters like Poykio can come out, skate clean, and grab a medal. Hopefully they'll be all sharp that early in the season. Should be interesting...

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    I'm so excited that Amanda & Mark got a GP event again this year (I'm sure they're excited about going to China) and I'm very happy for Jenn & Daniil to finally be on the GP circuit! I'm attending Skate Canada this year so I'm excited that I'll have a lot of favorites to cheer for that weekend.

Custom Title
    Wow! I have never liked SA that much before. I am going to like this one. I guess that NBC network has made a deal with ISU to hype figure skating on American TV. It's great!

Has ISU changed rules on placing GP assignments? This time, more close competitors from same countries are being put together in the same GP event. The tension will be on from the beginning of the GP event rather than making the highlight at the GP final. I think it's a good thing - to focus more on the viewers, and attract more audiences. But it's not so good for the skaters. Some of the top skaters will have no chance to go to GP final.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 06-15-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Custom Title
    It looks like there was some sort of a compromise here. If NBC had their way, Caroline, Mirai and Rachael would all be at Skate America. Now that would be an event to attract viewers.
    I would like to see them spread out even more.

Custom Title
    Thoughts from my Canadian point of view:

First of all it is interesting that Shawn Sawyer got an assignment for Skate America and Skate Canada did not pick him for Skate Canada leaving that position blank instead. This opens up real opportunities for the likes of Andreev and/or Jeremy Ten ( if he gets the triple axel) for that 3rd spot. Will Sawyer have to do Nebelhorn to compete for the 3rd SC spot or will Skate Canada refuse to even consider Shawn for that spot. Either way expect much lower PCS scores for Shawn at nationals because SC has signalled no faith in him ( not very surprising given his jumping troubles and bad international results). Of course others that may be considered for the Nebelhorn skateoff include Russel, Martinez and Rose ( if they get their triple axels).

The other noticeable thing is Skate Canada preferring Samson to Hawker for a Skate Canada spot. Hawker had the better score ( significantly so even considering that Samson's scores were junior ones) on the season best list but because she didn't gain any points is lower than Samson on the ISU ranking. Personally I would have thought they would make Hawker and Samson duke it out at Nebelhorn for that spot.

Pairs: The TBA slot at SC will be filled by Kirkland/Radford or the Moscovitches to be determined by Nebelhorn results. The yikes factor is that we will likely have 7 different pairs on the GP ( 6 guaranteed plus likely one of the 2 pairs mentioned) meaning only 5 pairs will make it to nationals through the challenge competition as we will have 7 byed couples and a maximum of 12 spots. If other couples competing senior nationally make it to the JGPF, it will further reduce how many pairs can make it to the nationals via the challenge competition.

Dance: The TBA slot will be filled by Girard/Dougherty or Karam/O'Keefe again based on Nebelhorn. Of course other couples could figure if they do really well in summer competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I was suprised to see that Kevin Van Der Perren was selected for Skate America (he is the #6 seed). He recently had surgery on his knee, and I would have thought he would have preferred to have later GP assignments (CoR and/or NHK) if any. I wouldn't be surprised to see him withdraw from SA.

I am sure KVDP would prefer that too. But seeing as he is not from one of the hosting countries , he had no protection whatsoever from the whims of the hosting nations. There was no way that Japan ( the last GP stop) was taking him ( Takahashi factor)

KVDP was a surprise 6th at worlds meaning that a federation that picked him would open up the chances for that federation's skaters to do well. That with some cross-discipline bargaining among hosting nationals probably is why he got Skate America and Cup of Russia.

I am so sad that Nobu got only one assignment. I thought that he would get another. He was a bit short to make ISU ranking 25th, but still he is an elite skater who could win a medal at GPF.

Go NJ Devils
    I am shocked that Skate Canada chose Samson over Hawker, who was second in the FS at Canadian Nationals last year. Samson fell apart in the FS, and I wasn't much impressed by her.Samson hasn't had great international results as a junior, and Hawker was the feel-good story of Canadian Nationals.

It's otherwise a nice line-up for Ladies at Skate Canada, with Rochette, Pfaneuf, Korpi, Vahamaa, and Kostner, and I'm looking forward to seeing the highly-regarded Takeda.

In Dance, I'm thrilled they picked Crone/Poirier, Pechalat/Bourzat, Bobrova/Soloviev, and Davis/White, who won't be at SA. I'm looking forward to seeing Goshkova/Butikov.

In Pairs, I liked Dong/Wu very much at Worlds last year, and Dube/Davison are always a pleasure to see.

Wow for the Men: Buttle, Chan, and Lambiel, and Voronov who skated so well at Worlds last year. Too bad the TBA can't be Chipeur, who already has two.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Has ISU changed rules on placing GP assignments? This time, more close competitors from same countries are being put together in the same GP event.
    The rules are the same as last year.

There may be an exception for host countries, but no one has taken it. Apart from that, restricted groups are based on last year's Worlds placements.

Each Fed chooses their up-to-three skaters. If they've chosen someone ranked 1-3, they skip the round. Otherwise, in the draw order, each Fed chooses someone from 1-3.

Same for 4-6, then any skater/team that had a PB last season higher than skaters/teams in the top six. 7-9, 10-12, then any skater/team that had a PB last season higher than skaters/teams placing 7-12. There are no other restrictions, except a max of two events per skater/team, and no more than three from one country in one event.

What may be confusing is that Miki Ando withdrew, so she could be chosen by any Fed without restriction. She would have been chosen after the top six, since her PB was fifth highest last season, higher than Nakano and Meier.

Same with Domnina/Shabalin, who had to withdraw from Worlds. They were chosen without restriction after the top six, since their PB for last season was third highest, higher than B/A, K/N, D/W, and F/S.

Caroline Zhang, Rachael Flatt, and Mirai Nagasu wer not age-eligible for Worlds, but they had the 7th, 8th, and 12th highest scores, were each guaranteed two spots, and [edited to add] the first two were selected after the 4-6 skaters, having had higher PB's than Worlds #6 Meier (9th PB) and the latter after the 10-12 skaters from last Worlds. Flatt's and Nagasu's scores were from Jr. Worlds, with one less jump element Since none were seeded, no restrictions. Same issue with McLaughlin/Brubaker, who scored 8th highest, and were selected after 10-12.

Lysacek withdrew from Worlds as well, and was 4th highest on the PB list, higher than Weir, Joubert, and Van der Perren. He would have been chosen for two spots after 4-6. Preaubert, also a late withdrawal, had a PB higher than Abbott, Davydov, and Kozuka, and would have been selected after the 10-12 group.

Verner wasn't in the top 12 at Worlds, but his PB was fifth highest, and he would have been chosen after the 4-6 group.

Oda didn't compete last year, and was chosen by his Federation.

Those from the same country, placed 1-12, and were restricted, but placed in different selection groups are:
    Pang/Tong (5th) and Zhang/Zhang (3rd)-only matchup CoC,
    Murkhortova/Trankov (7th) and Kawaguchi/Smirnov (4th)-no matchup
    Meissner (7th) and Liang (10th)-no matchup
    Dube/Davison (3rd), Duhamel/Buntin (6th), and Langlois/Hay (8th)-D/D and L/H skate in SC and NHK. D/B don't meet any Canadian team in the GP six.
    Buttle (1st) and Chan (9)-meet at SC.

Davis/White (6th) and Belbin/Agosto (4th) were in the same group. They don't compete against each other in this year's GP. The only odd one was that Abbott (11th) and Carriere (10th) should not be in the same group, since no one retired bumping up Carriere to the 7-9 group, yet they were both chosen for CoC. France has no men's skater in the 10-12 group, but they got two from the 7-9 group, Chan and Kozuka (??).
    Last edited by hockeyfan228; 06-16-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    The Finnish ladies got 8 assignments, including 2 assignments for Vahamaa.
    Yes, that is really great:

Poykio: SA & CHN
    Korpi: CAN & FRA
    Vahamaa: CAN & RUS
    Lepisto: CHN & JPN

Oh my, the men´s list for Skate Canada looks soooo awesome...

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Compulsory Dances are assigned this way:
    Skate America Viennese Waltz (B&A,Delschoes,C&J,Kerrs,S&B)
    Skate Canada Paso Doble (V&M, D&W, P&B,Crone&Poirier,Bobrova&Soloviev)
    Cup of China Viennese Waltz (B&A,DomShabs,K&N
    TEB Paso Doble (Delschoes,F&S,Kerrs,Crone&Poirier
    Cup of Russia Viennese Waltz (DomShabs,K&N,D&W,
    NHK Paso Doble (V&M,F&S,S&B,S&B,Bobrova&Soloviev)

I rather think the Viennese favors DomShabs over K&N (and for that matter B&A). They are lovely waltzers.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast