Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: ISU Grand Prix announced

Custom Title
    Interesting that the USA chose Adam Rippon for Skate America. I guess since he did so well on the Junior last year.... It will be interesting to see how he stacks up against JW and EL. Also can't wait to see how JA does. I loved his programs last year. He was my fav among the US men.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    I am sure KVDP would prefer that too. But seeing as he is not from one of the hosting countries , he had no protection whatsoever from the whims of the hosting nations. There was no way that Japan ( the last GP stop) was taking him ( Takahashi factor)

KVDP was a surprise 6th at worlds meaning that a federation that picked him would open up the chances for that federation's skaters to do well. That with some cross-discipline bargaining among hosting nationals probably is why he got Skate America and Cup of Russia.

Kevin had hipsurgery not kneesurgery, and indeed he would have prefered the later GP's. Last news is that he will be back on full training mid July (earlier than first thought).

Do National Federations try to stack the deck to give their own skaters the best chance to win? Or are they more interested in putting on a good show? Would an event prefer to invite Mao Asada on the basis of -- wow, look everybody, we got Mao Asada to headline our event! Or if they chose last and Asada was the only one left, would they say, oh no, we've got to take Asada -- so much for our girl's chances.

At Skate America, in the men's division, USSF got to have their cake and eat it, too. Since Johnny Weir was third at worlds they didn't have to invite Buttle or Joubert, and by grabbing Van der Perren at 6th, they didn't have to deal with Takahashi or Lambiel. This sets up Weir against Lysacek as the big draw, with a pretty good chance that they will finish 1-2 and both still have a good chance of making the finals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    I am so sad that Nobu got only one assignment. I thought that he would get another. He was a bit short to make ISU ranking 25th, but still he is an elite skater who could win a medal at GPF.
    That's a shame. I hope he has a super season at NHK, Japanese nationals and Worlds.
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-15-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Yay for pairs though. It looks so much more evenly spread out as compared to last season.
    Langlois and Hay have a good chance to make it to the GPF this season

And of course, still no sign of Plushenko.

Quote Originally Posted by mycelticblessing View Post
    And of course, still no sign of Plushenko.
    Apparently he's been doing some training. Not sure how serious he is, though. Here's the update http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news- scroll down.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mycelticblessing View Post
    Yay for pairs though. It looks so much more evenly spread out as compared to last season.
    Langlois and Hay have a good chance to make it to the GPF this season
    There are only 14 teams that have two assignments and can theoretically make the GPF. Here they are with their SB scores from last season:

202.86 SAVCHENKO / SZOLKOWY GER
    197.82 ZHANG / ZHANG CHN
    192.78 DUBE / DAVISON CAN
    191.33 KAWAGUCHI / SMIRNOV RUS
    187.33 PANG / TONG CHN
    179.82 MUKHORTOVA / TRANKOV RUS
    169.41 DUHAMEL / BUNTIN CAN
    166.48 McLAUGHLIN / BRUBAKER USA
    164.67 LANGLOIS / HAY CAN
    163.43 VOLOSOZHAR / MOROZOV UKR
    159.99 CASTILE / OKOLSKI USA
    157.20 INOUE / BALDWIN USA
    142.83 DONG / WU CHN
    112.96 PIATKOWSKA / KHROMIN POL

How do you figure L/H have a good chance to make the GPF?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    How do you figure L/H have a good chance to make the GPF?
    Easy -- they score 5 points better than last year and move into 7th. One of the six teams above them withdraws because of injury.

Custom Title
    OMG SA Ladies lineup IS INSANE!

Men's field in SC will be a HECK of competition too!

Surprised to see CoR didn't have a TBD for Plush...

VM got real easy assignments this year, they'll gaurantee a spot in GPF.

Caroline probably will have better chance to qualify for GPF than Rachael and Mirai.

Interesting that several skaters got back-to-back assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by ae9177 View Post
    OMG SA Ladies lineup IS INSANE!
    I wonder if U.S. televsion will hype it as the invincible Asian Juggernaut (Kim, Nakano and Ando) against the plucky U.S. underdogs, the valient Meissner and plucky Rachael and Mirai.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I wonder if U.S. televsion will hype it as the invincible Asian Juggernaut (Kim, Nakano and Ando) against the plucky U.S. underdogs, the valient Meissner and plucky Rachael and Mirai.
    I think we get ahead of ourselves here. US TV typically does not hype nor promote SA. You might see a newspaper article here and there though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Easy -- they score 5 points better than last year and move into 7th. One of the six teams above them withdraws because of injury.
    If L/H were consistent, maybe. But they aren't consistent, especially in the early season. Remember, these are SB scores---L/H's GP scores last season were 156.67 and 145.33. And McLaughlin/Brubaker might have had a higher SB score than 166.48 had they been able to compete at 4CC, JW or Worlds.

Go NJ Devils
    Dube/Davison could win both of their events, although silver is a possibility if they falter at NHK and Pang/Tong are back up to speed.
    Zhang/Zhang should get silver or gold at CoC and CoR.
    Pang/Tong should get the same at CoC and NHK.
    S/S should win both SA and TEB
    K/S have a great chance of getting two silvers.

Duhamel/Buntin have a shot at two silvers, if his post-surgery shoulder stands up to full training, since they beat M/T (SA and TEB) and I/B (SA) at Worlds last year.

So do Murhortova/Trankov if they make another great stride over the summer and compete better than D/B.

So do Volosozhar/Morozov, if Nikolai Morozov works his magic on them, although I think they'd have to beat Pang/Tong (CoC) and Kawaguchi/Smirnov (TEB) to at best be in a tiebreaker.

The best I think Langlois/Hay can hope for are bronzes at SC and NHK, but to do even that they'd have to beat McLaughlin/Brubacker at SC.

If they make the GPF, IMO it will be because of injury withdrawals.

Custom Title

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    US TV typically does not hype nor promote SA.
    We might be surprised - I hope. Maybe NBC will be a-typical and actually help their own cause - as well as that of figure skating - by doing more and better promo. Tickets seem to be selling well. Three weeks ago or so I was told that the gold were sold out and the rest 50% gone.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    We might be surprised - I hope. Maybe NBC will be a-typical and actually help their own cause - as well as that of figure skating - by doing more and better promo. Tickets seem to be selling well. Three weeks ago or so I was told that the gold were sold out and the rest 50% gone.
    That's a good sign. Attendance at SA has been dismal at best the past few years.

As for TV we can hope, but I wouldn't count on it.

NBC doesn't really seem to care much about figure skating outside of the US/Olympics... I don't see them doing any more with Skate America this year than they did last year... there's just no $$ in it anymore.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast