ISU Grand Prix announced | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ISU Grand Prix announced

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Easy -- they score 5 points better than last year and move into 7th. One of the six teams above them withdraws because of injury. :agree:

If L/H were consistent, maybe. But they aren't consistent, especially in the early season. Remember, these are SB scores---L/H's GP scores last season were 156.67 and 145.33. And McLaughlin/Brubaker might have had a higher SB score than 166.48 had they been able to compete at 4CC, JW or Worlds.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Dube/Davison could win both of their events, although silver is a possibility if they falter at NHK and Pang/Tong are back up to speed.
Zhang/Zhang should get silver or gold at CoC and CoR.
Pang/Tong should get the same at CoC and NHK.
S/S should win both SA and TEB
K/S have a great chance of getting two silvers.

Duhamel/Buntin have a shot at two silvers, if his post-surgery shoulder stands up to full training, since they beat M/T (SA and TEB) and I/B (SA) at Worlds last year.

So do Murhortova/Trankov if they make another great stride over the summer and compete better than D/B.

So do Volosozhar/Morozov, if Nikolai Morozov works his magic on them, although I think they'd have to beat Pang/Tong (CoC) and Kawaguchi/Smirnov (TEB) to at best be in a tiebreaker.

The best I think Langlois/Hay can hope for are bronzes at SC and NHK, but to do even that they'd have to beat McLaughlin/Brubacker at SC.

If they make the GPF, IMO it will be because of injury withdrawals.

merrybari

Final Flight
US TV typically does not hype nor promote SA.

We might be surprised - I hope. Maybe NBC will be a-typical and actually help their own cause - as well as that of figure skating - by doing more and better promo. Tickets seem to be selling well. Three weeks ago or so I was told that the gold were sold out and the rest 50% gone.

R.D.

Record Breaker
We might be surprised - I hope. Maybe NBC will be a-typical and actually help their own cause - as well as that of figure skating - by doing more and better promo. Tickets seem to be selling well. Three weeks ago or so I was told that the gold were sold out and the rest 50% gone.

That's a good sign. Attendance at SA has been dismal at best the past few years.

As for TV we can hope, but I wouldn't count on it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
NBC doesn't really seem to care much about figure skating outside of the US/Olympics... I don't see them doing any more with Skate America this year than they did last year... there's just no $$ in it anymore.

Compulsory Dances are assigned this way:
Skate America Viennese Waltz (B&A,Delschoes,C&J,Kerrs,S&B)
Skate Canada Paso Doble (V&M, D&W, P&B,Crone&Poirier,Bobrova&Soloviev)
Cup of China Viennese Waltz (B&A,DomShabs,K&N
TEB Paso Doble (Delschoes,F&S,Kerrs,Crone&Poirier
Cup of Russia Viennese Waltz (DomShabs,K&N,D&W,
NHK Paso Doble (V&M,F&S,S&B,S&B,Bobrova&Soloviev)

I rather think the Viennese favors DomShabs over K&N (and for that matter B&A). They are lovely waltzers.
I hope the dancers realize that a Paso Doble is a fast Two-Step, and not a Tango.

Key to note that not only Skate America Ladies field is jam-pack and the US ladies will have it tough. But also it is the 1st event, and expect very surprising results.
There should be a way to utilize strategy better when you think a Silver Medal is waiting for someone in COC.

I am sure KVDP would prefer that too. But seeing as he is not from one of the hosting countries , he had no protection whatsoever from the whims of the hosting nations. There was no way that Japan ( the last GP stop) was taking him ( Takahashi factor)
Some Feds know how to play the strategy game.

Do National Federations try to stack the deck to give their own skaters the best chance to win?
I think the bright ones know how to play the game which is simply to get the skater into the FINALS which will bring on the high TV ratings Check out Kostner. Itally knows!! As far as I am concerned she is in the Finals, and that's all there is to that.

So all you people who do not believe that the point of the GPs is to get into the Finals and Win! should be able to see some top skaters have a much better chance than others.
The Finals and only the Finals is the Bring On The Top Skaters, imo.

Only one more thing to mention for me: Is Jenni Vahamaa going to make a statement?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
NBC doesn't really seem to care much about figure skating outside of the US/Olympics... I don't see them doing any more with Skate America this year than they did last year... there's just no $$ in it anymore.

They are certainly showing a lot more gymnastics as we near the Beijing Games. I'm sure the same thing will happen to skating come the Winter Olympic year. Next year's SA may get more attention as a result, to lead up to the 2010 Nationals and Olys. Also, I believe next year SA is in late Nov. rather than in October.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Only one more thing to mention for me: Is Jenni Vahamaa going to make a statement?

Joe

If she has mastered the lutz. Otherwise, her best chance is to place in the top 6 at SC and CoR.

Here are the SBs at SC and CoR:

SC
184.68 Carolina KOSTNER ITA
179.54 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN
176.58 Caroline ZHANG USA
162.22 Kiira KORPI FIN
154.83 Nana TAKEDA JPN
152.67 Cynthia PHANEUF CAN
148.15 Fumie SUGURI JPN
145.57 Jenna McCORKELL GBR
145.29 Beatrisa LIANG USA
144.32 Alissa CZISNY USA
142.54 Jenni VAHAMAA FIN
125.41 Myriane SAMSON CAN

COR
184.68 Carolina KOSTNER ITA
172.19 Rachael FLATT USA
171.88 Sarah MEIER SUI
163.23 Kimmie MEISSNER USA
162.89 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN
154.83 Nana TAKEDA JPN
148.15 Fumie SUGURI JPN
145.69 Elena GLEBOVA EST
144.20 Ksenia DORONINA RUS
142.54 Jenni VAHAMAA FIN
138.79 Nina PETUSHKOVA RUS

^^^

hmmm. 6th won't do it for me in a field of 10. I want a 4th or an arguable 5th.

joe

They are certainly showing a lot more gymnastics as we near the Beijing Games. I'm sure the same thing will happen to skating come the Winter Olympic year. Next year's SA may get more attention as a result, to lead up to the 2010 Nationals and Olys. Also, I believe next year SA is in late Nov. rather than in October.
So this year is out for more coverage. NBC is counting on the Ladies for the ratings. We will see Johnny and Evan definitely, a menton (not seen) of McLauglin/Brubaker, and Belbin and Agosto. JMO.

No word from IceNetwork yet. They should be pushing this.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
Mirai up against YuNa, Nakano, Ando & Mao in both her events... It look like she has the toughest competition out of any US ladies. Does this mean that USFSA has that much confidence in her?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Some Feds know how to play the strategy game.

And some seem to have a problem with the game - why did Canada invite 3 men who could easily beat their World Champion. Lambiel, Lysacek and Voronov! Plus there is Chan, who could also beat Buttle if Buttle has one or two larger mistakes. If Voronov can maintain the kind of consistency he had at Nationals, Euros and Worlds in his long program (+ more toe jumps, he said that he is working on his Lutz again), his chance to beat Buttle is just as good as Lysacek's chance to beat Buttle. Buttle's second GP is China, with Takahashi, Verner and Abbott in the mix. Chan's assignments aren't easy either.

Both Lysacek and Weir seem to have a good chance to qualify for the final - but I got high hopes for Schultheiss. His 3A became kind of consistent last season, he tried the Quad once and is such a beautiful jumper. I also think that his skating skills are just terrific, I hope he works on interpretation and choreography during the summer (his exhibition at Worlds showed that he can be quite a lyrical skater). He should also have gained confidence from coming in 13th at Senior Worlds, just 3 weeks after placing 18th at Junior Worlds.

Takahashi and Joubert (I am going to Paris to watch him and Lambiel battle it out, already booked my ticket today... I am also hoping to get a first hand look at the next generation with Kozuka, Mroz, Guan and Chan) also have good chances to reach the final.

I can't wait for the next season to begin...

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Mirai up against YuNa, Nakano, Ando & Mao in both her events... It look like she has the toughest competition out of any US ladies. Does this mean that USFSA has that much confidence in her?

Well Mirai did have the highest overall ladies SP score last season (remind you that she did get dinged for flutzing and did a loop instead of a flip as her solo triple). So I'd feel pretty confident in her IF she starts rotating all of her triples, which I hope she works on.

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
Well Mirai did have the highest overall ladies SP score last season (remind you that she did get dinged for flutzing and did a loop instead of a flip as her solo triple). So I'd feel pretty confident in her IF she starts rotating all of her triples, which I hope she works on.

But, wasn't that at the US Nationals where many of the scores were highly inflated & wrong edges/UR were often overlooked?

I would love to see Mirai do well, but I've been hearing that she's having to deal with her growth spurt quite a bit this year.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
No at JW she scored 65.07 which would've had her 1st after the SP at the 2008 WC.
The solo jump is predetermined in Juniors, too. All of the juniors had to do a solo flip from steps last year. Given the chance to do a higher-scoring jump, she probably would have.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The solo jump is predetermined in Juniors, too. All of the juniors had to do a solo flip from steps last year. Given the chance to do a higher-scoring jump, she probably would have.

No, last year the Junior solo jump was a loop, worth 5.0 points. A flip is 5.5 points, and a lutz 6.0 points.

Mirai's JW SP was
(10.00-1.29=8.71) 3Z(e)+3T
(5.00+1.00=6.00) 3L
(2.60+1.14=3.74) LSp4
(3.40+1.57=4.97) SpSq4
(3.50+1.29=4.79) 2A
(4.00+0.21=4.21) FSSp4
(3.10+0.79=3.89) SlSt3
(3.50+1.00=4.50) CCoSp4
TES 39.81
PCS 6.32, 6.00, 6.50, 6.32, 6.43 = 27.28
Total Score 65.07

Kostner's Worlds SP was
(9.50+1.71=11.21) 3F+3T
(6.00-1.86=4.14) 3Z
(3.40+1.43=4.83) SpSq4
(3.50+1.00=4.50) 2A
(2.30-0.04=2.26) FSSp3
(1.80+0.36=2.16) LSp2
(3.00+0.43=3.43) CCoSp3
TES 36.34
PCS 7.07, 6.64, 7.07, 6.96, 7.18 = 27.94
Total Score = 64.28

ChrisH

On the Ice
Off topic warning ...

Then again, Caroline is at the age where she might be much improved from last year. :yes:
Caroline has the 3rd highest average score among the ladies in ISU events, only trailing Mao and Yu-Na. Her average score, though, increased only a tiny bit this past season.

Michelle has already told her that she needs to jump bigger. We'll just have to wait to see how much bigger she can jump -- and still improve and solidify that WOW factor that sets her apart from the other ladies.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
If L/H were consistent, maybe. But they aren't consistent, especially in the early season. Remember, these are SB scores---L/H's GP scores last season were 156.67 and 145.33. And McLaughlin/Brubaker might have had a higher SB score than 166.48 had they been able to compete at 4CC, JW or Worlds.

While they may not have been the most consistent in the early season, Each season, for them, has been an improvement from the previous one. L/H are almost guaranteed a medal at NHK, and with a little bit of luck, they could medal at Skate Canada. Besides, there's no point looking at season's best scores. Making the GPF is dependent on placement points in each leg of the competition.

ChrisH

On the Ice
Yes, that is really great:

Poykio: SA & CHN
Korpi: CAN & FRA
Vahamaa: CAN & RUS
Lepisto: CHN & JPN
And they deserve each invitation. I'm glad that the selectors saw past Poykio's injury. Vahamaa's 2 invites seem questionable if you only look at her seasons best score. It's her high world ranking that reflects her consistency and her Finlandia win.

Which of the Finnish ladies will have an impact on the GPF?