Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: ISU Grand Prix announced

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Hughes has said that she wants to make it to Nationals this year.
    Just wanted to point out that this is not a direct quote from Emily Hughes but hearsay/secondhand info that was posted at FSU: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=167

Maybe she'll wait to find out who she'd have to face at Sectionals once Regionals is over. She won't have to face Kimmie or Katrina Hacker, because both skaters will have byes due to their GP assignments. Wagner is exempt from Regionals/Nationals due to her 3rd place finish. So it looks as if Emily wouldn't have much of a problem at Sectionals if she were to skip TEB.
    We'll have to wait and see how deep the senior ladies field will be at Easterns this fall because there are 3 skaters with JGP assignments (Bulanhagui, Rizo-planning to test up, Musademba-has tested up) plus 3 other international skaters from last season who did not qualify for Nationals (Cannarozzo, B. Rosenthal, Firth).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fumie_fumie View Post

As for Kostner, you are right. However, I honestly didn't see anyone else who can beat Kostner.
    Yu-Na Kim and Caroline Zhang beat Kostner at her first GP event (CoC). If Zhang can beat Kostner, so can Rochette.

Speaking of growth issues, ladies of Asian descent don't seem to have as much of a growth issue as other skaters.
    Sure they do. Miki Ando is a prime example. She had LOTS of problems after moving up from Juniors. Mao Asada lost some of her consistency after the 2005-2006 season, and that seemed to be because she suddenly grew to be quite tall (5'5"). Even Michelle Kwan had a rough year (in 1997) and that could be attributible to growth. Last season, both Zhang and Nagasu grew about 3 inches each, and each struggled with underrotated jumps. The suddenly longer legs don't work quite the way they used to.

Zhang, Nagasu and Flatt were all the exact same height (5'0") on the podium at JW. Flatt (who turns 16 next month) seems to have stabilized, if temporarily, while Zhang and Nagasu are in the midst of a growth spurt.

Yu-Na Kim and Caroline Zhang beat Kostner at her first GP event (CoC). If Zhang can beat Kostner, so can Rochette.
    I agree. When Kostner is on, she can be terrific, and very hard to beat (well, by someone other than Kim & Asada). But she has never been known for her consistency and I really can't remember the last time I saw her skate two really strong performances at the same event. That having been said, I doubt she'll have too much trouble qualifying for the GPF, barring injuries.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I totally agree. At their bests, Joannie is capable of much more speed and much better jumps than Caroline Zhang. Carolina Kostner typically has struggled during the Grand Prix Series. Even last year, during her best season ever, she was 3rd at Cup of China with a very disappointing LP and at NHK Trophy, she was defeated in the LP by Sarah Meier but still took gold due to the strength of her SP. Meier very nearly beat her overall.

This season I can see Kostner finishing 2nd to Joannie Rochette at Skate Canada, which has historically been Joannie's strongest event of the year. Joannie is historically stronger during the Grand Prix than Carolina, who typically hits her stride later in the year. I think Carolina will also see stiff competition from Rachael Flatt at Cup of Russia. I don't see Carolina being able to coast to the GPF this season as she did last season.

My early predictions for the Ladies' Grand Prix Finalists are: Yu-Na Kim, Mao Asada, Carolina Kostner, Joannie Rochette, Yukari Nakano, and Miki Ando. I'll have my eyes glued on Rachael Flatt too. I believe she very likely could break through if one of my 6 picks has a meltdown, similar to Miki Ando last season at NHK, which allowed Caroline Zhang to advance.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 06-16-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228 View Post
    If there was a specific order in which the selections had to be made (Ando, Zhang, Flatt) this suggests that USFS and CoC were either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the Federation selection order (3rd if the Japanese Federation, whose roster of Japanese Ladies was filled by host selections, was 1st or 2nd). If there was not a specific order, USFS had no choice but to select Ando, since Flatt was already a host choice and the USFS couldn't choose a 4th US Lady.
    From studying these selections for a couple of years now, I think that there is not a specific order in which invitations have to be made from each category. (Not 100% sure, though.)
    Quote Originally Posted by fumie_fumie View Post
    On the other hand, you would think strong entries may better prepare the skaters for non-GP events, notably two most important events of the season - Europeans and Worlds.
    I agree. As far as the U.S. ladies are concerned, it looks to me like USFS is most interested in giving as many skaters as possible a chance to gain international experience (Katrina Hacker, for instance), rather than pre-selecting one or two and trying to push them into the GP finals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    2. In prior years, if Sasha wanted France, she got it; if Johnny wanted Russia, he got it. If Kwan didn't want to travel beyond Canada, she didn't.

I just can't believe that the Host Countries do not have a say in all this. Kostner has an easy trip to the Finals.
    Good point. I would love to be a fly on the wall and listen in on all the conversations between federations.

In the case of Carolina Kostner, I don't know. It seems far-fetched that the National Skating Federations of the U.S., Canada, France, China, Russia and Japan would all join in a grand plot to make sure that the skater from Italy had a clear path to the finals. What's in it for the U.S., Canada, France, China, Russia and Japan? (Maybe that's something only Ottavio Cinquanta knows, and he's not telling. )

No matter what, Kostner's silver medal at worlds guarenteed that she would not have to skate against either Asada or Kim, and that she must skate against two of the three {Nakano, Rochette and Meier}.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    No matter what, Kostner's silver medal at worlds guarenteed that she would not have to skate against either Asada or Kim, and that she must skate against two of the three {Nakano, Rochette and Meier}.
    Very true, In Russia she has Flatt, and the very lucky Sebestyen. I still contend Kostner will do no worse than 2 silver medals and be there in the Finals.

Very true, In Russia she has Flatt, and the very lucky Sebestyen. I still contend Kostner will do no worse than 2 silver medals and be there in the Finals.
    hahaha, Granny made a grand prix final back in 2006. Looks like we get to see Granny again.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I am so HAPPY katrina hacker has two GP events. I don't believe Carolina K. is a show in to the final. If any of the American ladies step up and Carolina repeat her problems in the long, Carolina could possibly get a bronze and a fourth setting her up to miss the GPF.

Down With It
    Kostner has proved she is a top contender the past two seasons. Yes, she is one of those warm/cold skaters but if this past Worlds is any indication she'll be given the benefit of the doubt.

1. I just don't think all individual GPs are equal in strength. Compare SA to CoC...
    Actually, it's kind of interesting to compare the ladies' rosters.

I think the perceived difference in strength between Skate America and Cup of China consists entirely in the relative standings of the skaters from the host nations. China has no one of their own to send except for Liu and Wang (they didn’t fill their third slot), whereas anyone the U.S. assigns to Skate America is bound to be pretty strong.

Both events have Kim, Ando, Poykio and Leung (also Yiu). So, except for the U.S. and Chinese skaters, the only difference between the two events is

Skate America: Nakano, Marchei, Dytrt and Karademir

Cup of China: Meier, Lepisto, Sebestyen, Leonova.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Very true, In Russia [Kostner] has Flatt, and the very lucky Sebestyen. I still contend Kostner will do no worse than 2 silver medals and be there in the Finals.
    True, but the same can be said for all of the medalists from worlds. Kim and Asada, too, should easily do no worse than two silvers and make the finals.

In fact, on paper, Asada is the one with the easiest path. Her only competiton is Rochette and Zhang in France and Nakano and Nagasu in NHK.

As for Sebestyen, I wouldn't say her draw is the button on fortune's cap. She will have to face Yu-na Kim, Caroline Kostner, Miki Ando, Sarah Meier twice, Meissner and Flatt, as well as Takeda and all the Finns: Poykio, Lepisto and Vahaama. A tall order for the 2004 European champ!
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-16-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Actually, it's kind of interesting to compare the ladies' rosters.

I think the perceived difference in strength between Skate America and Cup of China consists entirely in the relative standings of the skaters from the host nations. China has no one of their own to send except for Liu and Wang (they didn’t fill their third slot), whereas anyone the U.S. assigns to Skate America is bound to be pretty strong.

Both events have Kim, Ando, Poykio and Leung (also Yiu). So, except for the U.S. and Chinese skaters, the only difference between the two events is

Skate America: Nakano, Marchei, Dytrt and Karademir

Cup of China: Meier, Lepisto, Sebestyen, Leonova.True, but the same can be said for all of the medalists from worlds. Kim and Asada, too, should easily do no worse than two silvers and make the finals.
    And Meier, Lepisto, and Sebestyen combined are stronger than Nakano, Marchei and either Dytrt, who's returning after a year off from singles, or Karademir. So that quite a bit to balance out the pack, since Kim, Ando, and Poykio can be very strong, and the first two can be dominant.

Mathman!

Quote Originally Posted by alekzu View Post
    I'm really glad to see that our two boys from Sweden, Berntsson and Schultheiss, got two assignements each.
    I'm thrilled for these two. I've adored Berntsson since I first saw him in Malmo; Schultheiss I saw for the first time in Gothenburg.

I know Bernsston didn't have the home Worlds he had hoped for, but he's got a lot of talent, and I hope he comes back strong this year.
    Last edited by hockeyfan228; 06-16-2008 at 11:20 PM.

It's hard to think of the 'Also Rans' as we say after the results of horse racing.

SA has: Nakano, Kim, Flatt, Nagasu as the most likely for the podium less 1 unfortunate and the bronze better win in her next event.

While it will be nice to see a healthy Ando, and a much improved Tech of Poykio, and a snap to attention Meissner, they are wait and sees.

The Also Rans do not figure in this at all. So it's 4 tough ones, and 3 maybe surprises.

CoC has: Kim, Meier as the most likely for gold and silver. Bronze ???

Again Ando, Poykio are wait and sees.

What China has are interesting Other Runners: Lepisto, Hacker, Wagner.

One thing for sure is that we should be able to see some improvements where necessary in the above skaters.

Hawker vs. Samson

I still don't understand why Skate Canada gave the 3rd spot to Samson, not to Hawker.

Any speculations on that one?

And who is going to fill the blank on men's, pairs' and dance's spots at Skate Canada? Boy, We will see some serious skate-offs at Nebelhorn.

Custom Title
    Hawker's results last season were not good: 9th at Skate Canada (she did beat Cynthia Phaneuf there), 7th at NHK. Hawker did beat Samson at Nationals by almost 12.5 points, but was edged (2.5 points) by Phaneuf, losing a spot at 4CC. That's what did her in.

However, I don't agree that Samson is the better skater. Samson's SB is a meager 125.91 points, second rate even at the Junior level, but very low at the Senior level.

Custom Title
    I think Skate Canada is looking at it from the point of view as who will be around in a couple years when Joannie retires. Samson can not do JGP this year ( I think I'm correct in this one) so the only way to keep her in the international eye is to send her to SC. I think it's called planning for the future. Samson does have the goods and could on a good day beat Leslie if she could only hold herself together and skate a clean long with no changes. However she has a habit of rearranging her programs and leaving jump passes out. Internaionally Samson's style is liked a bit better then Leslie who always gets low PCS marks even when she has high TES marks. In China she had the 2nd highest TES and the 8th PCS marks. Samson even beat Rachel Flatt in a short program last year - so on any given day she can do it. I wonder too if it's Skate Canada's way of rewarding Samson for making the top 10 at JW and earning us more JR spots.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast