Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Six of the 10 Top Ladies in the Worlds at Skate Amercia

I don't think it was anyone's fault, however, that the tour could not keep its mojo. I think it fell prey to societal and market changes far beyond the power of the ISU or USFS to overcome.
    I only partially agree with this. I think marketing of both SOI and COI went down two tracks - market heavily to hardcore fans who read skating magazines and such, and market lightly to all other non-fans. This approach missed a huge gray area of the casual fans - those who know major skaters, have some idea about what to look at, but couldn't care less who the coach of the latest Cup of China silver medalist is. Many of my friends fall into the latter category; they will sometimes attend a skating show, but more often than not they find out about those shows from yours truly. Lack of outreach to this market segment has especially hurt COI since SOI is generally more attractive to the non-fan. Having said all that, I truly have no idea how one would go about advertising to the casual fans who do not regularly access skating sites, magazines, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    I'm guessing that's because Carolina's particular type of mistake (2-footing/stumbling on jump landings) was the type of error that is very visible to the audience, but not actually a huge point deduction. The audience could not understand the placements because they only knew what their eyes saw, not what the base values were and whether or not the rotations were fully completed. Contrast that against the less visible but more costly mistakes made by some of the other skaters, most notably Yukari Nakano and her underrotated triple axel.
    I am not a big Kostner fan and I really wanted both YuNa and Yukari to medal, but I looked at the scoresheets and had to agree with the calls that were made, at least on the technical scores. And as Hockeyfan pointed out, the PCS scores are based on how the skater looks live, and sometimes it's hard to see how much flow and ice coverage someone has when you're just seeing it on TV.

i realize that but I still think that Kostner should have gotten docked majorily for Performance/Execution because she had what two clean jumping passes. Carolina always deserves High Skating skills marks.. And that goes into flow. But her performance was not a good one, because stumbling on almost all of your jumping passes makes it look messy and yes effects the quality of your performance. She may have appeared "better" live but the fact is the crowd booed her placement. That suggests she wasn't that much better live.

I'm not saying Yu-na deserved her normal Pcs, she didn't. I realize that from what I've heard. But I don't get why Kostner got the P/E marks she got.

And the thing is take Joannie Rochette. I believe her and Kostner had similar TES marks, where Kostner got her was in PCS. And I disagree with that.

I'm tired of people getting high marks for multiple mistakes. One fall like Mao had doesn't necessarily affect the quality of the performance a bit but doesn't all the way, but stumbling on almost every jumping pass does.
    Last edited by bekalc; 06-30-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    There were reports that many Europeans wanted a European/American to be on top at last years worlds they think the Asian "invasion" is bad for the sport. I just don't want the judges to dump her.
    i think the whole "asian invasion" idea is wrong, because there's nothing but the fact that there aren't european skaters that are good enough to beat the asian girls. I think Yu-na Kim's skating is far more beautiful than the europeans. She has clean jumps, expressions, and artistry. Her skating is just great to watch. If "asian girls" with skills weren't in the competitions, figure skating wouldn't be so interesting. Maybe in the future there will be european girls with talent, good enough to beat skaters from different ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by fairskating01 View Post
    i think the whole "asian invasion" idea is wrong, because there's nothing but the fact that there aren't european skaters that are good enough to beat the asian girls. I think Yu-na Kim's skating is far more beautiful than the europeans. She has clean jumps, expressions, and artistry. Her skating is just great to watch. If "asian girls" with skills weren't in the competitions, figure skating wouldn't be so interesting. Maybe in the future there will be european girls with talent, good enough to beat skaters from different ethnicity.
    I totally agree with this. I think the booing of the European crowd should have given the judges and the ISU a very good understanding of what the fans think and want.

Welcome to Golden Skate, Fairskating. Post often, post long!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    Having said all that, I truly have no idea how one would go about advertising to the casual fans who do not regularly access skating sites, magazines, etc.
    I think the promos they had in various cities during the local news segments really helped. In cities with lots of billboards, that's another route.

Custom Title
    It isn't just the bumbles and stumbles on the jumps that made the crowds react negatively to Kostner getting a medal and placing above Kim and Nakano.

Carolina's spins are very mediocre, her spiral sequence is unlovely, and the arm-flinging during the step sequence borders on comical. The edge she has over the Asian ladies is her speed and the height of her 3/3, but from an audience viewpoint, that doesn't make up for a messy performance.

Carolina, for me, has her moments, but I have never seen one complete program of hers where I could gush. I stil remember the one on 2005 Moscow Worlds where she really showed some promise, but it is 2008 now and nothing has changed. Let's give her another chance.

Custom Title
    I would agree with you JoeSitz... for so many years, what a brisk 'athlete'... but touching ones heart...? hmmmm.... If I could ask her one question, it would be "what single program would you most want to be remembered by?" Not sure there's an obvious answer... yet....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6