Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Domnina, Shabalin moving to Linichuk

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Audrey19 View Post
    Oh no, this won't be good for Tanith and Ben... I actually thought that being the number 1 team alone would lift some pressure from them, but of all the people Domnina & Shabalin...
    So much drama next season...
    I'm still at a loss as to how it works for major competitors to train under the same coach.

I don't suspect Tanith and Ben will move on right away, if at all, after uprooting themselves so recently.

Who knows if D/S will like it either. Sort of surprising they'd try it knowing B/A were already there.

Suspect both teams will take a wait-and-see approach. I'm sure they'll push each other intensely.

Drama is right!!! What an amazing season 2008-09 promises to be.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    The soap opera that is figure skating........

This is a very interesting coaching change. With all the crazy coaching changes that have happened this off season, it will be interesting to see how the season turns out!

Custom Title
    This news comes as a huge surprise to me - I didn't see it coming at all. Without any insider knowledge, I can only speculate about whether B/A felt 'crowded' and wanted singular attention from a top coach. What they made clear is a need for a change....I understand that feeling (I think), but I admit, I felt sort of bad for them. I thought they had great performances/programs last year - and with the exception of the freaky fall at worlds, really looked much much better than the previous year (where, for me at least, ironically, I didn't think they should have been 3rd at worlds, where this year, I kind of did).

Anyway, having said that - I do think they have room to grow, and in particular with Tanith - still more stretch, with Ben I can't put my finger on it (but I feel he was great and stayed that way, but somehow I feel a lack of something)...but my point then is going to a new coach with a new training routine and breaking it down and building again sounds like a fantastic plan. A bit risky - maybe - given the push to the olympics, but definitely better to break down and build this year in preparation for the olympics.

So, having said all that - enter the Russians. I don't know what to make of that for B/A. I suspect it will be great for D/S (and I freaking loved the make over of the bulgarian D/S with this coach)....only time will tell what it does for B/A. So, any of you with inside insight - do share what you can! (this really is an interesting off season!).

One more thing - aren't they all now in Aston Pa - not New Jersey or Deleware?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    The soap opera that is figure skating........
    This could make the best reality show!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post

One more thing - aren't they all now in Aston Pa - not New Jersey or Deleware?
    Yes they train in Aston but it's just a hop, skip and jump from DE - not sure how it relates to New Jersey, but the states over there are very small so there's not much distance involved.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post

This is really cray that the russian would do something like this. I has respect for them last year, although they were Tanith and Ben's biggest threat. not sure if i still have that respect.

This is like as if Michelle and Irina had chosen the same coach.
    I think, that much like Tanith and Ben, Oksana and Maksim are just making what they feel are the best choices for their skating. I bet both teams feel like they have run their course with their previous coach.

I am personally excited to see what Linichuk can do for D/S. She did a great job with Denkova and Staviskii.

I really have no opinion on this unless I hear some complaints by teams.

It could be that they will never be on the ice at the same time. There could also be one on the ice, and the other waiting to go on and looking. That could be a problem

I'm sure all concerned are aware of this. It's a wait and hope there is no problem.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    Yes they train in Aston but it's just a hop, skip and jump from DE - not sure how it relates to New Jersey, but the states over there are very small so there's not much distance involved.

Aston is a small Philadelphia suburb near the Pennsylvania/Delaware border; it's actually closer to Wilmington DE than it is to Philly. Aston is directly across the Delaware River from Southern New Jersey, but it is nowhere near the Hackensack rink in North Jersey where many elite skaters train.

As to the states being very small and not much distance involved, there is quite a difference in distance between Hackensack and Aston. I live in Central Jersey, and Aston is a good 1 1/2 hour trip; Hackensack is closer to 2 hours from where I live. I think a trip from Hackensack to Aston would take close to 4 hours, more with traffic, and there is no public transportation between these two points.
    Last edited by chuckm; 06-21-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Next news I am waiting for.

1. Brian moved to Mariposa to train with Doug Leigh and Lee Barkell
    2. Mao moved to Toronto Cricket, Curling Club to train with Orser.
    3. Mira moved to St. Leonard to train with Joannie.

Custom Title
    Just found out the news---the coach switching this season seems more busy than in other seasons, or is my mind just so boggled by now that I am imagining things? Maybe it's the combination of the ever more imminent Olympic season approaching and the stress of competing under the new ever-changing point system which so many coaches seem not to grasp fully enough. At any rate, it reminds me of the frenzied motion of waterbugs.

Banned
    B/A are screwed.

Rinkside
    Like most of you, I'm completely surprised by the move.

However, I don't think either teams care much about how it affects their 'friendship', that is, if they have any.

B/A & D/S are each other's main competition, and as such, all they really care about is being #1 on the podium, not being friends. I also believe both teams chose Linichuk on purpose. D/S must have known B/A had already switched coaches, and I have no doubt their decision was largely influenced by that little trinket of information.

In my opinion, both teams wanted to be near each other. And like someone said earlier, push each other even further. I can see this move benefiting both teams. I just hope B/A handle the drama well. D/S probably won't care much. Them leaving Russia is probably hard enough for them. I just hope the homesickness doesn't affect them too much and hurt the skating. That would be a shame.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dom_shafan View Post

B/A & D/S are each other's main competition, and as such, all they really care about is being #1 on the podium, not being friends. I also believe both teams chose Linichuk on purpose. D/S must have known B/A had already switched coaches, and I have no doubt their decision was largely influenced by that little trinket of information.

In my opinion, both teams wanted to be near each other.
    If you are suggesting that D/S had wanted to ''keep an eye'' on B/A, I have to disagree. If D/S had wanted to keep an eye on anybody, I think it would be Virtue/Moir or Del/Schoes. I strongly believe that these teams are more of a threat to D/S for World and Olympic Gold than B/A are.

Given this is all about Russian coaches, and a top Russian team, does anyone have a speculation about Kokhlova and Novitsy?

Also what about Davis/White?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Davis and White are staying with Shpilband in Detroit, along with V&M. When B&A left, that made D&W the highest ranked US pair in Shpilband's group, which I suppose might be an advantage to them, particularly at US nationals.

They were recently interviewed by icenetwork during Champ Camp, and they sounded relaxed and happy. OT, It appears that Charlie shares Igor's fondness for April Fool's Day.

As to K&N, they are Russian champions and world bronze medallists. DomShabs are European champions and GPF champions,but have never medalled at worlds.

It's obvious that the top of the ice dancing world is very, very tight. Add to that that the recent ISU conference made huge changes in the ice dancing rules, and this year, anything can truly happen.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast