Domnina, Shabalin moving to Linichuk | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Domnina, Shabalin moving to Linichuk

oleada

Record Breaker
This is really cray that the russian would do something like this. I has respect for them last year, although they were Tanith and Ben's biggest threat. not sure if i still have that respect.

This is like as if Michelle and Irina had chosen the same coach.

I think, that much like Tanith and Ben, Oksana and Maksim are just making what they feel are the best choices for their skating. I bet both teams feel like they have run their course with their previous coach.

I am personally excited to see what Linichuk can do for D/S. She did a great job with Denkova and Staviskii.

I really have no opinion on this unless I hear some complaints by teams.

It could be that they will never be on the ice at the same time. There could also be one on the ice, and the other waiting to go on and looking. That could be a problem

I'm sure all concerned are aware of this. It's a wait and hope there is no problem.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes they train in Aston but it's just a hop, skip and jump from DE - not sure how it relates to New Jersey, but the states over there are very small so there's not much distance involved.

Aston is a small Philadelphia suburb near the Pennsylvania/Delaware border; it's actually closer to Wilmington DE than it is to Philly. Aston is directly across the Delaware River from Southern New Jersey, but it is nowhere near the Hackensack rink in North Jersey where many elite skaters train.

As to the states being very small and not much distance involved, there is quite a difference in distance between Hackensack and Aston. I live in Central Jersey, and Aston is a good 1 1/2 hour trip; Hackensack is closer to 2 hours from where I live. I think a trip from Hackensack to Aston would take close to 4 hours, more with traffic, and there is no public transportation between these two points.

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Next news I am waiting for.

1. Brian moved to Mariposa to train with Doug Leigh and Lee Barkell
2. Mao moved to Toronto Cricket, Curling Club to train with Orser.
3. Mira moved to St. Leonard to train with Joannie.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Just found out the news---the coach switching this season seems more busy than in other seasons, or is my mind just so boggled by now that I am imagining things? Maybe it's the combination of the ever more imminent Olympic season approaching and the stress of competing under the new ever-changing point system which so many coaches seem not to grasp fully enough. At any rate, it reminds me of the frenzied motion of waterbugs.

dom_shafan

Rinkside
Like most of you, I'm completely surprised by the move.

However, I don't think either teams care much about how it affects their 'friendship', that is, if they have any.

B/A & D/S are each other's main competition, and as such, all they really care about is being #1 on the podium, not being friends. I also believe both teams chose Linichuk on purpose. D/S must have known B/A had already switched coaches, and I have no doubt their decision was largely influenced by that little trinket of information.

In my opinion, both teams wanted to be near each other. And like someone said earlier, push each other even further. I can see this move benefiting both teams. I just hope B/A handle the drama well. D/S probably won't care much. Them leaving Russia is probably hard enough for them. I just hope the homesickness doesn't affect them too much and hurt the skating. That would be a shame.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
B/A & D/S are each other's main competition, and as such, all they really care about is being #1 on the podium, not being friends. I also believe both teams chose Linichuk on purpose. D/S must have known B/A had already switched coaches, and I have no doubt their decision was largely influenced by that little trinket of information.

In my opinion, both teams wanted to be near each other.

If you are suggesting that D/S had wanted to ''keep an eye'' on B/A, I have to disagree. If D/S had wanted to keep an eye on anybody, I think it would be Virtue/Moir or Del/Schoes. I strongly believe that these teams are more of a threat to D/S for World and Olympic Gold than B/A are.

Given this is all about Russian coaches, and a top Russian team, does anyone have a speculation about Kokhlova and Novitsy?

Also what about Davis/White?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Davis and White are staying with Shpilband in Detroit, along with V&M. When B&A left, that made D&W the highest ranked US pair in Shpilband's group, which I suppose might be an advantage to them, particularly at US nationals.

They were recently interviewed by icenetwork during Champ Camp, and they sounded relaxed and happy. OT, It appears that Charlie shares Igor's fondness for April Fool's Day.

As to K&N, they are Russian champions and world bronze medallists. DomShabs are European champions and GPF champions,but have never medalled at worlds.

It's obvious that the top of the ice dancing world is very, very tight. Add to that that the recent ISU conference made huge changes in the ice dancing rules, and this year, anything can truly happen.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
....Also what about Davis/White?

I think Davis/White are tremendously talented, Joe, and this is a real break for them. Even though I do not consider Shpilband to be as successful with international competitions as some other coaches have been, it is still a good thing to be your coach's "number one" guys. I think this is particularly true with ice dancing, where rule changes are occurring annually. I see Davis/White as being comparable to Virtue/Moir in their strengths, and so much depends upon having the right music and the right choreography for teams of this type. I feel that perhaps Davis/White can be majorly competitive with Virtue/Moir this season; we'll see if that occurs.

dancemaster

On the Ice
SUGAR..the state of coaching in Russia ice dancing must be in a real bad way :biggrin:
first of all the decision for D/S to move to the states to train must be one made and backed by the Russian federation( some one need to pay the bill):rock:
That to me says the Russian Federation has no confidences in any of they coaches back in Russia,which i now believe are making more money then those who went to work in the states

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
SUGAR..the state of coaching in Russia ice dancing must be in a real bad way :biggrin:
first of all the decision for D/S to move to the states to train must be one made and backed by the Russian federation( some one need to pay the bill):rock:
That to me says the Russian Federation has no confidences in any of they coaches back in Russia,which i now believe are making more money then those who went to work in the states

Why does the moving of D/S make you think that the Russian Federation doesn't have confidence in the Russian coaches? I was thinking that D/S might have moved because the Russian Federation would be favoring K/N (or at least D/S might believe they are favoring K/N)

dancemaster

On the Ice
Why does the moving of D/S make you think that the Russian Federation doesn't have confidence in the Russian coaches? I was thinking that D/S might have moved because the Russian Federation would be favoring K/N (or at least D/S might believe they are favoring K/N)
No way ,,, Where would they get that kind of money for such a move / if it is not federation backed
another point K/N have no chance of beating the young canadians

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
No way where would they get the kind of money for such a move if it is not federation backed
another point K/N have no chance of beating the young canadians

They're not communist anymore. No way is the federation paying their coaching bills. You don't see the USFSA paying for B/A's coaching do you? Same goes for the Russians.

dom_shafan

Rinkside
If you are suggesting that D/S had wanted to ''keep an eye'' on B/A, I have to disagree. If D/S had wanted to keep an eye on anybody, I think it would be Virtue/Moir or Del/Schoes. I strongly believe that these teams are more of a threat to D/S for World and Olympic Gold than B/A are.

I'm not saying they wanted to "keep an eye", but once they were aware that Linichuk was also working with B/A, they gravitated towards her. Personally, I think B/A are the bigger rivals. That's just me.