Domnina, Shabalin moving to Linichuk | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Domnina, Shabalin moving to Linichuk

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, add me to the crowd who says V&M are boring. They are talented skaters - I have no doubts about that - but their programs leave much to be desired. They are very fast across the ice, but at the expense of empty choreography. I found Valse Triste and Umbrellas to be very similar to each other - absolute snoozes.

And yes, the hype is over the top. Comparing then to Torvill and Dean, who are icons and changed the sport, is crazy at this point in their careers.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I'd love to hype up Tessa and Scott, b/c they're absolutely stunning and are like nobody else, but I don't want to hijack a DomShab's thread.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
well they are most likely the next olympic champions better start getting used to it, its not a coincidence alot of their main competitors are changing coaches they have this team in mind, the field knows they will likely be chasing them soon.

all that

Final Flight
Well, add me to the crowd who says V&M are boring. They are talented skaters - I have no doubts about that - but their programs leave much to be desired. They are very fast across the ice, but at the expense of empty choreography. I found Valse Triste and Umbrellas to be very similar to each other - absolute snoozes.

What was similar about the choreography of Valse Triste and Umbrellas? VT I'll acknowledge was empty -- it really was element, skate far apart, element, glide/pose, element, etc. But Umbrellas had many more intricate movements between the elements -- movements which could have slowed down the skaters, but did not, because V/M really improved their speed.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'd love to hype up Tessa and Scott, b/c they're absolutely stunning and are like nobody else, but I don't want to hijack a DomShab's thread.

:bow: Too correct, but I'm going to gush for a moment even if OT. Does Scott have the deepest, softest knees in skating or what? When he and Tessa are on the ice, he is so "deep" into the ice he often appears shorter than his partner. But off the ice, it is clear he is actually taller than she by at least a few inches.

lcd

Match Penalty
By now there must be SOMEONE out there who has 'spied' a program from one of these camps...? Music? Moves? Anyone?

all that

Final Flight
By now there must be SOMEONE out there who has 'spied' a program from one of these camps...? Music? Moves? Anyone?

It's obvious that neither of these camps wants any info to be released at this time. I'd hope that anyone who has "spyed" a program would respect the wishes of these camps and not tell anyone about what they saw.

delray1977

Rinkside
well they are most likely the next olympic champions better start getting used to it, its not a coincidence alot of their main competitors are changing coaches they have this team in mind, the field knows they will likely be chasing them soon.

Olympic champions? Still a little too early to tell. You have to remember that being at the olympics is a different pressure and atmosphere than at worlds. Usually it's a veteran couple ( Del/Shoe,Dom/Shabs,Belbin/Agosto) that claim the gold. Virtue/Moir may have home team advantage since the games are being held in Vancouver but anything can happen on olympic ice. We will just have to wait and see.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I thought I would bump this thread up. Any news on D/S or B/A from their training camp?

lmarie086

Medalist
I thought I would bump this thread up. Any news on D/S or B/A from their training camp?

I wish! They're keeping pretty quiet. All I know is that B/A spent a ton of time on basics (pretty sure I read that) and that D/S have had a bit of a delay I'd suppose due to his knee.
I can't wait to see D/S' programs. I'm really interested to see what Linichuk has done with them, because I used to really like them (2006 at least...) and their programs the last two seasons just haven't done anything for them IMO.

Big Deal

Final Flight
To be honest, I find Dom/Shab boring. And they overreact and overplay most of their moves, which is a slight sign of to be tasteless. That is what Linnichuk will correct on them, for sure.

I really think, the real quality and technic is on the side of V/M. They are able to create positive emotions on the audience., plus their technic is brilliant.

The other team, who can do that is Del/Schönf., but their technic is a questionmark....
Also Khohl/Nov. can create some emotions, but their style is more satyric or charicaturistic, like Bestemianova/Bukin was before..

Judges want to give an Olympic Gold for the Russians in the last 32 year (1976 was the 1st OG in Icedance). That is a fact. I talked about other things.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I wish! They're keeping pretty quiet. All I know is that B/A spent a ton of time on basics (pretty sure I read that) and that D/S have had a bit of a delay I'd suppose due to his knee.
I can't wait to see D/S' programs. I'm really interested to see what Linichuk has done with them, because I used to really like them (2006 at least...) and their programs the last two seasons just haven't done anything for them IMO.

I guess I will have to wait for Skate A to see B/A programs. I am sure we will get some buzz then.

Cup of China should be interesting both B/A and D/S will be competitng at this event.

oleada

Record Breaker
D/S did an interview in Russia recently. From what I could gather, their training is going well. Linichuk had them work on their basics a lot. The didn't want to talk about their programs, aside from the fact that they like them. They had nice things to say about B/A - that they're friendly people, they've been to their parties. When one team is working with Linichuk, the other works with Karponosov. They also talked about the adjustment from moving to the US from Russia.

Perhaps one of our Russian speaking posters could post a more accurate translation.

lmarie086

Medalist
D/S did an interview in Russia recently. From what I could gather, their training is going well. Linichuk had them work on their basics a lot. The didn't want to talk about their programs, aside from the fact that they like them. They had nice things to say about B/A - that they're friendly people, they've been to their parties. When one team is working with Linichuk, the other works with Karponosov. They also talked about the adjustment from moving to the US from Russia.
Thanks for sharing that information! I can't wait to see their programs, and how they've improved as a team since making the switch to Linichuk.
I've seen some pictures of them recently and it looks like Maxim has lost a bit of weight; he looks leaner than he did last season.

To be honest, I find Dom/Shab boring. And they overreact and overplay most of their moves, which is a slight sign of to be tasteless. That is what Linnichuk will correct on them, for sure.

I really think, the real quality and technic is on the side of V/M. They are able to create positive emotions on the audience., plus their technic is brilliant.

This actually is a very talented team-Oksana in particular is a wonderful ice dancer; she really has great technique. But like you said though, they have over done the way they move in the last two seasons, which does make their programs appear tasteless. I think that is a matter of choreography (which I think has been terrible the last two seasons for them) and coaching style. As reported in the article oleada talked about, Linichuk has had them working on basics a lot and I think that will bring a softer elegance to the way they move.

As to Tessa and Scott, I really do like them. But they haven't had a lot of variety the last two seasons. However, I do especially like Scott; he's brilliant :clap:.

Last edited: