Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Domnina, Shabalin moving to Linichuk

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Does anyone think that Khokhlova and Novitski have a pretty good chance of knocking someone off the podium -- maybe even moving ahead of Domnina and Shabulin as the number one Russian team?
    I definitely don't. K/N are just one team that I can't figure out why they get the marks they do. I'm not going to hate on them, I just simply don't like them or their skating and I am reminded of my days of watching FP-M and trying to figure out just how the heck they ever ended up on the podium. Still boggles my mind.

I'm not a huge fan of D/S, either, but I at least think their skating skills are better than K/N. Be interesting to see what happens this season.

Not liking all the V/M bashing going on. What a shame. Funny how folks can't really fault their skating skills so they resort to labeling them as "boring".

Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer View Post
    Not liking all the V/M bashing going on. What a shame. Funny how folks can't really fault their skating skills so they resort to labeling them as "boring".
    Why is it bashing just because it is a team you happen to like? A skater can have the greatest skills in the world, but if they skate to snoozers like Valse Triste and Umbrellas, it is BORING! And slow. And empty. IMHO there was nothing appealing about either of those programs. What does it matter to you? It is an opinion. I'm not bashing anyone, I'm not hating on anyone, I'm simply expressing an opinion that I find V&M to be dull. Big deal. I'm not saying they are crappy skaters, I'm not saying they were "gifted" at Worlds with the silver medal, I'm just saying that their style is not my cup of tea.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeIce View Post
    Why is it bashing just because it is a team you happen to like? A skater can have the greatest skills in the world, but if they skate to snoozers like Valse Triste and Umbrellas, it is BORING! And slow. And empty. IMHO there was nothing appealing about either of those programs. What does it matter to you? It is an opinion. I'm not bashing anyone, I'm not hating on anyone, I'm simply expressing an opinion that I find V&M to be dull. Big deal. I'm not saying they are crappy skaters, I'm not saying they were "gifted" at Worlds with the silver medal, I'm just saying that their style is not my cup of tea.
    Besides, tapdancer, it wasn't bashing, it was an honest opinion. I apologize for not choosing a more specific term other than 'boring', but in many ways still, I feel like it's still the most apt term for what I've been feeling about them. When I saw the Beethoven number this summer, it just dawned on me that they have yet to try something radically different from their slow, romantic style, and there was a certain "sameness" to this team that I was beginning to dislike .Sorry I sounded a bit harsh, but I really did mean it, and I have a feeling a lot of former fans (plus current fans) may be beginning to feel similarly as well.

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Sorry for the "bashing" comment, AwesomeIce and cassieandcheetah, guess I just overreacted. I do like V/M and I'm concerned because I have been reading posts here and over at FSU that folks are starting to feel V/M are overrated. I do think the hype is over the top, I can only hope that V/M aren't letting it overwhelm them.

And after thinking it over, they do need to try and broaden their horizons, you guys are right that the romantic programs will only take them so far. I'm not so sure that winning the silver medal in only your second Worlds is necessarily a good thing. Not saying either that they didn't deserve it but still. It's a worry.

But, I do like that ice dance has become much more exciting, I've watched it for 20 years and I never enjoyed the "wait your turn". It's nice that genuine talent is rewarded.

Now, if only we could do something about the politics...

Banned
    The hype is not over the top V&M are the youngest world junior champs in history, the youngest team ever to medal at worlds winning the FS at worlds when you are 18 and 20 is not nothing. As to those who say they are boring i couldn't disagree more they bring to ice dancing what it should be and none of the over the top theatrics we have seen in the past from teams.

Custom Title
    Well, add me to the crowd who says V&M are boring. They are talented skaters - I have no doubts about that - but their programs leave much to be desired. They are very fast across the ice, but at the expense of empty choreography. I found Valse Triste and Umbrellas to be very similar to each other - absolute snoozes.

And yes, the hype is over the top. Comparing then to Torvill and Dean, who are icons and changed the sport, is crazy at this point in their careers.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    I'd love to hype up Tessa and Scott, b/c they're absolutely stunning and are like nobody else, but I don't want to hijack a DomShab's thread.

Banned
    well they are most likely the next olympic champions better start getting used to it, its not a coincidence alot of their main competitors are changing coaches they have this team in mind, the field knows they will likely be chasing them soon.

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Well, add me to the crowd who says V&M are boring. They are talented skaters - I have no doubts about that - but their programs leave much to be desired. They are very fast across the ice, but at the expense of empty choreography. I found Valse Triste and Umbrellas to be very similar to each other - absolute snoozes.
    What was similar about the choreography of Valse Triste and Umbrellas? VT I'll acknowledge was empty -- it really was element, skate far apart, element, glide/pose, element, etc. But Umbrellas had many more intricate movements between the elements -- movements which could have slowed down the skaters, but did not, because V/M really improved their speed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    I'd love to hype up Tessa and Scott, b/c they're absolutely stunning and are like nobody else, but I don't want to hijack a DomShab's thread.
    Too correct, but I'm going to gush for a moment even if OT. Does Scott have the deepest, softest knees in skating or what? When he and Tessa are on the ice, he is so "deep" into the ice he often appears shorter than his partner. But off the ice, it is clear he is actually taller than she by at least a few inches.

Banned
    By now there must be SOMEONE out there who has 'spied' a program from one of these camps...? Music? Moves? Anyone?

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    By now there must be SOMEONE out there who has 'spied' a program from one of these camps...? Music? Moves? Anyone?
    It's obvious that neither of these camps wants any info to be released at this time. I'd hope that anyone who has "spyed" a program would respect the wishes of these camps and not tell anyone about what they saw.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by romanoff81 View Post
    well they are most likely the next olympic champions better start getting used to it, its not a coincidence alot of their main competitors are changing coaches they have this team in mind, the field knows they will likely be chasing them soon.
    Olympic champions? Still a little too early to tell. You have to remember that being at the olympics is a different pressure and atmosphere than at worlds. Usually it's a veteran couple ( Del/Shoe,Dom/Shabs,Belbin/Agosto) that claim the gold. Virtue/Moir may have home team advantage since the games are being held in Vancouver but anything can happen on olympic ice. We will just have to wait and see.

I thought I would bump this thread up. Any news on D/S or B/A from their training camp?

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I thought I would bump this thread up. Any news on D/S or B/A from their training camp?
    I wish! They're keeping pretty quiet. All I know is that B/A spent a ton of time on basics (pretty sure I read that) and that D/S have had a bit of a delay I'd suppose due to his knee.
    I can't wait to see D/S' programs. I'm really interested to see what Linichuk has done with them, because I used to really like them (2006 at least...) and their programs the last two seasons just haven't done anything for them IMO.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast