Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jumps landed ... and a question ...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Watch Kwan, Boitano, Hamill, Witt, Orser, Harding, and Kerrigan - they all skate into the ice. It's about soft knees, deep edge, and relaxed shoulders with tight abs.
    And it's also about rising on the knees to during a turn.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl45 View Post
    My coach told me I should work more on skating into the ice. I know there was some talk about how Johnny did not do taht until this year.
    Does anyone have any advice on how to work on that?
    Skating "into the ice" means bending your knees deeply, keeping your butt low, and really pressing your blade deep into the ice on every edge. When you skate "on top of the ice" it means your knees are stiff, not bent, and you are not pressing into the ice with your blades.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    I guess skating into the ice is almost like you having mastery over the ice as opposed to skating on top of the ice in which the ice controls you. (Just as a generic meaning). When skaters skate into the ice, the shoulder is relaxed and the knees are bent, the edges are deep... which really does gives you control, instead of being at the whims of bumps and grooves in the ice. When you just skate on top of it, you are really just performing the motions without those extra elements (mentioned above), leaving you at the will of the bobbles and bumps in the ice. That's my point of view at least.

I can't say that I'm the master of skating into the ice. I think that to truly accomplish it, it takes years and years of practicing proper techniques and truly understanding the physics (maybe on a subconscious level) of skating.

But for first suggestions, you should start with relaxing your shoulders so that they almost weigh you down and push you into the ice. This will give you nice stroking that really does go into the ice, as they say.

Next I would focus on the deep knee bends with proper posture (keeping the booty low), again weighing you down so you create deep edges instead of just gliding on top.

Lastly, I would practice on when to straighten the knees to become light on the ice and when to deeply bend them. For example, turns. The raising and elevating of your knees so that you continue to have excellent deep edges, but know when to rise above to make a turn simple and not to exaggerated. (I hope that makes sense!)

Also, by weighing down, I mean by doing these things, it really pushes you into the ice, not making you a fat toad! hehe.

Rinkside

Thumbs up

sweet! i love that feeling!
    im 14 and have been skating for 6 years.
    the past 2 my doubles have been horrible! i must've fallen like 100 times a session.
    so finally,OUT OF NOWHERE 2 months ago i just finally land my double flip, three days later i get the double lutz, then the double lutz combonations and everything.
    i feel like all of my falling has paid off!
    now my double axel and triple salchow are at best, two footed. i cheat it by a quarter rotation only when im not thinking. i've done the triple salchow a couple times landed, but not consistent.

i cant even begin to imagine falling that much in one practice anymore! its hard to picture myself only able to land 3 doubles. double salchow, double loop, and a very bad version of a double toeloop (which by the way, also straightened out when i got the flip). i pretty much dream about jumps now.

it was definitely a self esteem booster :P
    i prettymuch doubled my self esteem and decreased my falling by 90%.

i love that feeling!

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateskate24958 View Post
    sweet! i love that feeling!
    im 14 and have been skating for 6 years.
    the past 2 my doubles have been horrible! i must've fallen like 100 times a session.
    so finally,OUT OF NOWHERE 2 months ago i just finally land my double flip, three days later i get the double lutz, then the double lutz combonations and everything.
    i feel like all of my falling has paid off!
    now my double axel and triple salchow are at best, two footed. i cheat it by a quarter rotation only when im not thinking. i've done the triple salchow a couple times landed, but not consistent.

i cant even begin to imagine falling that much in one practice anymore! its hard to picture myself only able to land 3 doubles. double salchow, double loop, and a very bad version of a double toeloop (which by the way, also straightened out when i got the flip). i pretty much dream about jumps now.

it was definitely a self esteem booster :P
    i prettymuch doubled my self esteem and decreased my falling by 90%.

i love that feeling!
    Congrats! You sound really talented.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2