Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Brian Boitano - Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    I think the biggest difference between Michelle winning at 15 and Tara at 15 (and several other current young teens) was that at 15, Michelle skated like a woman, like a mature artist, while Tara still skated like a child. Many skaters today who are in their late teens/ early 20s STILL don't skate with the maturity Michelle possessed at 15.
    Michelle's program though wasn't near as mature as Lu Chen's though, and I didn't think Tara's program at the Olympics was that poor either.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Michelle's program though wasn't near as mature as Lu Chen's though, and I didn't think Tara's program at the Olympics was that poor either.
    A lot of people thought Lu Chen should have won Worlds instead of Michelle, do you feel that way too. Or are you just making a comment suggesting that Michelle's Salome was somewhat inferior because it was not as mature as Lu Chen's program?

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    A lot of people thought Lu Chen should have won Worlds instead of Michelle, do you feel that way too. Or are you just making a comment suggesting that Michelle's Salome was somewhat inferior because it was not as mature as Lu Chen's program?
    I liked Michelle's Salome I was kind of saying though just in general younger skaters aren't going to be as mature as the older skaters are. Yes, Michelle at 15 was better artistically but one could argue that Tara was doing 3/3's that Michelle wasn't at 15, although I wonder how Tara would do in today's underrotation days. I think Tara by 15 was much improved artistically and really would have improved some more.

Michelle beat Lu because she out jumped her. Tara beat Michelle because she out jumped her.. You can argue all you want whether the outjumping should have counted... But the point is Michelle benefited from being a jumping bean herself.

yup, it's definitely summer now....

The difference between a mature and immature skater is not all together the question of age. I left out Sarah Hughes from my list of mature skaters. In spite of her tender age winning the gold in SLC, she skated as a mature lady. Not as a darling little teenybopper. The following Olys show an aged Shizuka and very much a mature Lady.

Custom Title
    I thought artistic mark reflected artistry, not physical maturity, in an ideal world at least.

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    ^Yes, but in general, artistry is directly related to maturaty. There are always exeptions to this, but in general for a person to be considered artistic, some level of maturaty is present in their art, so it is not so much the maturity of the artist, but the maturity of the art itself, and it stands to reason that a more mature person would have more mature art.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    I thought artistic mark reflected artistry, not physical maturity, in an ideal world at least.
    Mozart was a child prodigy, Yes! but far from his great artistry.

Custom Title

Brian Boitano

I once belonged to the Brian Boitano fan club and remember that he said he was great friends with Brian Orser and always wanted to be his friend for life. Now that Orser "came out" [only because of his palamony suite hitting the newspapers and tv, etc] ] Boitano now says they were just competiters. That is a shame. If Orser read this, he would feel very hurt. False people and false freindships one can do without.

IIRC, Orser has made similar statements in the last couple of years saying their friendship really started AFTER the olympics, he gave the same reasoning - they were competitors first....

Resident Chinese pair nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    IIRC, Orser has made similar statements in the last couple of years saying their friendship really started AFTER the olympics, he gave the same reasoning - they were competitors first....
    He did. I remember reading that. Also in the article, Boitano was talking about the media during the Olympics. I've heard both men say that they became friends after Calgary when they were touring together, etc.

I can't imagine any rivalry where the skaters are actually close friends, I don't think you could truly have the right mentality if you were great friends...

which is why it always surprises me when I read Scott's book about the pact he made with Orser and Jumpin Joe about the 84 Olympics... I'm sure they toasted each other, but each guy was looking at the others going 'but Im gonna be the one with Gold around my neck'

Custom Title
    I have read and heard more than one Brian interview where he has said that he and Orser weren't friends during the Olympics, but friendship developed afterwards. He may not have worded it exactly the same in this interview. I don't say things the exact same way everytime I answer a question either.

No one seems to have abandoned Orser due to his private life that became public. At least not that I've heard of.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3