Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sasha Cohen At 9 Years Old

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Isn't it somehow strange to look at videos and decide who looked better at what age? Miki Ando didn't start skating till she was 9 (I guess), Oda till he was 8 or something, Weir till he was 12 and Kevin vdPerren till he was 10. So I guess these four would have looked pretty stupid at the age of 9 in comparision to Cohen at the age of 9.

And some need more time to land the big jumps, or to look really confident on ice - and some don't. I don't think it says much about the success they will experience later in their career (it would be nice to have a statistic on that: how many highly talented kids turn out to be really better than the ones who took their time to stand out?). Wasn't Buttle a late bloomer with the jumps etc.? Does anybody care now, after he won Worlds, how long he needed to land the 3A? Joubert didn't look too promising at age 15 and 16 (15th at Junior Worlds etc.), 2 years later he bursts on the senior scene with a Bronze at his very first senior international competition (Europeans).

Plus, this admiration-thingy towards baby-athletes always makes me cringe, I can't even listen to Dick Button's commentary e.g. when he commented on a young Kwan, Naomi Nari Nam, Tara Lipinski, Mao Asada in 2005... Didn't he once say "Thanks for the little girls" or something like that?

And so what if Cohen didn't look too impressive at the age of 9 - at age 21 she was good enough for silver at Olympics, isn't that all that counts?

Thanks for your input, however an opinion is just that. You might not think people can think someone looked impressive while others will. You might think Sasha's Olympic silver performance with 2 falls was impressive, and I might not. I think that's why people's opinions are valueable.

Custom Title
    And here we go...

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    What Dick Button said was, "Thank heavens for little girls." He was quoting from an old song, from Gigi, sung by Maurice Chevalier.

He also went on about baby ballerinas.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    What Dick Button said was, "Thank heavens for little girls." He was quoting from an old song, from Gigi, sung by Maurice Chevalier.
    A show with a very questionable premise, in my humble opinion. But it did have that great Maurice Chevalier - Hermione Granger song, "Ah yes, I remember it well."

If I remember correctly, Dick Button even sang a few lines of "Thank Heaven" on TV (or was that the Harvard Fight Song?).

Besides winning an Emmy for sports broadcasting (1981), Dick Button also appeared on stage a couple of times, off Broadway. He was in South Pacific, for one -- but I don't know if he had a singing part. (Now that I think of it, I guess every role in South Pacific is a singing part. )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi View Post
    Thanks for your input, however an opinion is just that. You might not think people can think someone looked impressive while others will. You might think Sasha's Olympic silver performance with 2 falls was impressive, and I might not. I think that's why people's opinions are valueable.
    True- and maybe your opinion might change if you knew how long she had been skating before she had performed that program. For all we know, she could have been skating for a month or two before that video. If that was the case (and I think that she had started skating at 9 years old) then her ability was spectacular.

Custom Title
    Not that it really matters...but as TinyMavy said...Sasha started skating at age 7. Michelle started at age 5, although she seriously started training at age 7. I'd imagine most American skaters that start so young take a couple years before they begin to seriously train.
    Last edited by MKFSfan; 07-03-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Custom Title
    I don't think the age matters as much as the talent. Sasha was hyped as having so much natural talent that everything came easy to her. I guess it's that hype that made me think she would've been been just as good, or better at that age.

Custom Title
    One of my friends' daughter who is 9 now, started skating ( truly first time on ice) one and a half year ago. She spins, jumps, and generally skated a lot better than Sasha at the same age. I forwarded this video to them. They watched and it gave the girl a great encouragement. Who knows, maybe she will become one of the top skaters in 10 years.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 07-03-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2