Sasha Cohen At 9 Years Old | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen At 9 Years Old

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'm not sure if this is old news or not, but somebody has loaded a video from 14 years ago of Sasha Cohen performing at what looks like, if I'm not mistaken, the Pasadena ice rink. Even back then, she looked a couple of years younger than she actually was. :)

Click HERE
;)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
someone posted this a few weeks ago.

Funny how diffrent she looked. and you never can tell at that age who will become a champion. She skated like anyother girl at her level then!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Idleracer, thanks for posting that, I loved it. I loved the ending. :clap: :clap:

Dee

Fossi

Final Flight
I recognize some of the moves from Sasha. :biggrin: Wow. Michelle and Mao were amazing in their clips. Worlds ahead of Sasha.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Worlds ahead of Sasha.

Isn't it somehow strange to look at videos and decide who looked better at what age? Miki Ando didn't start skating till she was 9 (I guess), Oda till he was 8 or something, Weir till he was 12 and Kevin vdPerren till he was 10. So I guess these four would have looked pretty stupid at the age of 9 in comparision to Cohen at the age of 9.

And some need more time to land the big jumps, or to look really confident on ice - and some don't. I don't think it says much about the success they will experience later in their career (it would be nice to have a statistic on that: how many highly talented kids turn out to be really better than the ones who took their time to stand out?). Wasn't Buttle a late bloomer with the jumps etc.? Does anybody care now, after he won Worlds, how long he needed to land the 3A? Joubert didn't look too promising at age 15 and 16 (15th at Junior Worlds etc.), 2 years later he bursts on the senior scene with a Bronze at his very first senior international competition (Europeans).

Plus, this admiration-thingy towards baby-athletes always makes me cringe, I can't even listen to Dick Button's commentary e.g. when he commented on a young Kwan, Naomi Nari Nam, Tara Lipinski, Mao Asada in 2005... Didn't he once say "Thanks for the little girls" or something like that?

And so what if Cohen didn't look too impressive at the age of 9 - at age 21 she was good enough for silver at Olympics, isn't that all that counts?

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
She was pretty unspectacular at that age. Its funny sometimes how the little kids that look so promising so very often end up being no better than average, and then there's the kids you never would have thought would go very far, and in the end they are the ones up on the podium.

Fossi

Final Flight
Isn't it somehow strange to look at videos and decide who looked better at what age? Miki Ando didn't start skating till she was 9 (I guess), Oda till he was 8 or something, Weir till he was 12 and Kevin vdPerren till he was 10. So I guess these four would have looked pretty stupid at the age of 9 in comparision to Cohen at the age of 9.

And some need more time to land the big jumps, or to look really confident on ice - and some don't. I don't think it says much about the success they will experience later in their career (it would be nice to have a statistic on that: how many highly talented kids turn out to be really better than the ones who took their time to stand out?). Wasn't Buttle a late bloomer with the jumps etc.? Does anybody care now, after he won Worlds, how long he needed to land the 3A? Joubert didn't look too promising at age 15 and 16 (15th at Junior Worlds etc.), 2 years later he bursts on the senior scene with a Bronze at his very first senior international competition (Europeans).

Plus, this admiration-thingy towards baby-athletes always makes me cringe, I can't even listen to Dick Button's commentary e.g. when he commented on a young Kwan, Naomi Nari Nam, Tara Lipinski, Mao Asada in 2005... Didn't he once say "Thanks for the little girls" or something like that?

And so what if Cohen didn't look too impressive at the age of 9 - at age 21 she was good enough for silver at Olympics, isn't that all that counts?

Thanks for your input, however an opinion is just that. You might not think people can think someone looked impressive while others will. You might think Sasha's Olympic silver performance with 2 falls was impressive, and I might not. I think that's why people's opinions are valueable.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What Dick Button said was, "Thank heavens for little girls." He was quoting from an old song, from Gigi, sung by Maurice Chevalier.

He also went on about baby ballerinas.

What Dick Button said was, "Thank heavens for little girls." He was quoting from an old song, from Gigi, sung by Maurice Chevalier.
A show with a very questionable premise, in my humble opinion. But it did have that great Maurice Chevalier - Hermione Granger song, "Ah yes, I remember it well." :rock:

If I remember correctly, Dick Button even sang a few lines of "Thank Heaven" on TV (or was that the Harvard Fight Song?).

Besides winning an Emmy for sports broadcasting (1981), Dick Button also appeared on stage a couple of times, off Broadway. He was in South Pacific, for one -- but I don't know if he had a singing part. (Now that I think of it, I guess every role in South Pacific is a singing part. :) )

soogar

Record Breaker
Thanks for your input, however an opinion is just that. You might not think people can think someone looked impressive while others will. You might think Sasha's Olympic silver performance with 2 falls was impressive, and I might not. I think that's why people's opinions are valueable.

True- and maybe your opinion might change if you knew how long she had been skating before she had performed that program. For all we know, she could have been skating for a month or two before that video. If that was the case (and I think that she had started skating at 9 years old) then her ability was spectacular.