Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dreams on Ice 2008

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Really, I disagree. I noticed a big difference. especially in her facial expressions and her connection to the music. Mao has been criticized in the past for both and IMO TT has addressed both, at least with this program. I think that Mao's Tango will only get better and will become a favorite of the crowd and of her fans..
    Really, really, I disagree. I didn't see ANY connection to the music when Mao skated to this tango - it's my favorite tango music so I was even more disappointed that her performance didn't measure up to the music. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare Yu-na's tango performance last year to Mao. In fact, I thought Yu-na's tango music was hard on the ears and her costume, TACKY. However, I do give credit to Yu-na for pulling off above average performance (I thought her tango at Skate Canada was better) despite the negatives I mentioned above.

As for Mao, she's got this GREAT music, STUNNING costume, BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS body and balletic moves, YET she quite doesn't pull it off. She doesn't go all the way and give a performance out there. Maybe she'll get better with more skates to come with this music but the exhibition I saw on DOI looked like generic Mao skating to a different tune, nothing more.

Custom Title
    Don't know why this thread had to turn into Mao vs Yuna, but comparing their tango programs is like comparing apple to orange. Yu-Na's was fierce, and Mao's is more gentle and womanly. I cannot argue which is more true to tango, but I enjoyed both programs.

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    Don't know why this thread had to turn into Mao vs Yuna,
    Welcome to the new summer trend.

I wonder if capitalizing practically every other word in a post to make a point is also part of that same summer trend.

Rinkside

Mao's tango costume

I wondered why sometimes Mao made asymmetry move during the program, and found she wanted to express one dancing couple as shown on her costume(woman - red part/ man - black part) . Well - thought costume, indeed. Was it the suggestion by TT?

Custom Title
    i saw maos skate, too me it looked like she didn't skate to the beat of the music.
    some of the most important emphasis parts of music was overlooked. she just skated on both feet through them. and the easier part of the music is when she did the steps. and yes, it looked like alot of her normal moves =plus a take off of sasha's old ones.

actually i am more impressed with miki's skate, because she is skating with more fluidly, her movements mean something now, now up there just for placement.
    i hope miki doesn't become another , illness, this, or that. this is a good skate.
    i saw more connection to the music related to skating than i did mao's.
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-30-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Merge posts

Medalist
    well......I kinda like her new EX, unlike other skaters, her tango is soft and special ^-^ though not so perfect as I imagined, yet pretty matches the woman in the movie.

Actually, I don't think it a good idea to add sharp movements or dramatic gestures to this music coz the skater should follow what the movie indicated, not to creat a new one JMO.

Rinkside
    Most of DOI videos on YouTube were deleted... If you would like to watch some of them, check the following site.
    http://ca.youtube.com/user/bonboncherry4

Quote Originally Posted by moonfs View Post
    Most of DOI videos on YouTube were deleted... If you would like to watch some of them, check the following site.
    http://ca.youtube.com/user/bonboncherry4
    Thanks for the link...

Is it just me, or does A. Smirnov have really good basic skating skills? He is so fluid over the ice, some male pair skaters look a lot less effortless. Smirnov also keeps looking very fluid and effortless during the lifts (wasn't the last lift of the program spectacular?).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Thanks for the link...

Is it just me, or does A. Smirnov have really good basic skating skills? He is so fluid over the ice, some male pair skaters look a lot less effortless. Smirnov also keeps looking very fluid and effortless during the lifts (wasn't the last lift of the program spectacular?).
    It's not just you! Although I'm always blinded by his hotness to be completely objective

Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    It's not just you! Although I'm always blinded by his hotness to be completely objective
    ^May be true for me too. I don't want to sound shallow - but he is... well...

Does anybody know if Kawaguchi decided to change her citizenship? They are not the most harmonious pair on ice, but I think they have a certain charm and I enjoy their innovative moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Thanks for the link...

I heard from Eurosport Italy commentators that many skaters asked for Smirnov as pair partner,including Julia Obertas when she was considering about searching for another partner instead of Slavnov.

I don't know how this thread turned to Smirnov, but I could add my two cents.

First, I want to know why he is not with the Kirov or Bolshoi Ballets? Was he rejected? It doesn't show on the ice. if there is one skater who is ballet on ice, it is he.

Not difficult to imagine him and Rena Innoue winning the 2010 Olys. Isn't it obvious?

Joe

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Guys usually feel uncomfortable when forced to talk about Smirnov. But not you, Joe.

Banned
    Kawaguchi and Smirnov are the most weird combination. Kawaguchi is so over the top.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast