Is it strange... | Golden Skate

Is it strange...

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
that I can land my triples fine on-ice, but have trouble practicing any jump off-ice? I always seem to get things on the ice first and then struggle with any sort of jump off it.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Better than the other way around.

Means you're using the speed and the edges to get the jumps.

princess-ice

Rinkside
It is great that you can land jumps on the ice - especially triples. But, I'd be careful to keep doing your off ice anyways.

Off ice training is really important to developing ankle strength. When you jump, the ankle takes most of the stress. But when an ankle is kept in a stiff boot and is immobile, then the stress goes to other areas of the body, like knees and hips.

Also, if you are landing on ice, but not off ice, have you considered your momentum and speed as factors?

Overall, though, it really is neat that you can land those jumps on the ice!! :rock:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice

It is great that you can land jumps on the ice - especially triples. But, I'd be careful to keep doing your off ice anyways.

Off ice training is really important to developing ankle strength. When you jump, the ankle takes most of the stress. But when an ankle is kept in a stiff boot and is immobile, then the stress goes to other areas of the body, like knees and hips.

Also, if you are landing on ice, but not off ice, have you considered your momentum and speed as factors?

Overall, though, it really is neat that you can land those jumps on the ice!! :rock:

I've been skating for a relatively short time for, I guess you could say "tricks" that I'm doing. I began skating somewhat randomly, I was having a lesson with some friends and what friend scared the bejeezus and I jumped off the ice... considerably high lol. It caught the attention of the coach. I was a gymnast when I was young, but in recent years, I've been focusing on trampolining and the trapeze. One of my best in-between bar catches are multiple pirouettes. Basically as you release from the first trapeze bar (after gaining height and momentum and facing forwards or backwards), you kick through, tighten and straighten and spin then catch the next bar... the air position and motion is very similar to some figure skating jumps. So my jumps are very high and have very tight rotations.

What caught me about your post is that it's true that my knees and hips have been bothered! When I try to do the jumps off-ice, I generally fall on the landing... like something is giving out under me and I don't know why. From what you've said, I bet you it's because I don't have a proper balance between foot/ankle strength and balance. Maybe I land them on ice because the boots take the pressure off the foot and I can land relying strictly on controlling the speed and balance, but off-ice the foot/ankle strength is missing so I fall?

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ankle strength might be part of the reason you fall off ice, but it could also be simple physics. It's much easier to balance when moving as opposed to being stationary. Off ice you don't have the ride of the edge.
Just a word of caution for off ice practice of jumps, make sure you do them of a surface with give and be careful of your knees. I injered my knee practicing off ice jumps and I had to stop jumping for about 6 months.
If you want to increse ankle strength, ballet is really good for that.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
This has been explained to me many times.

Basically, when you are off ice you have to think more and cannot resort to muscle memory as well as if you were on ice.
It is a lot harder to jump off ice but very important because it helps to make the jump larger.
Keep trying it off ice and your on ice jumping will be helped.

PS-Congrats on your success!