Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tarasova Robbed

The only other piece of information I've found so far is that Tarasova says that all her outfits and costumes were in the car. Through the media, she's asked the thieves to return those.

I am so sorry. But it is still good that she herself was not physically harmed. Yet, I could imagine how shocking it would be for her. Hope that she feels better.

I also hope that Mao won't be a target during her stay in Russia. She's such a treasure, but is such a tiny little girl, too.

Custom Title
    I´m very sorry to hear about the robbery. A summer cottage is though a strange place to keep anything valuable, in my opinion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    .... If you recall, Yagudin had his Porshe stolen just a few months ago...
    Yes, that was one of the first things that popped into my mind when I read that TT had been burglarized also. That's what made it such a shock for me--the double whammy, especially since TT and Yagudin have such a long, warm association. It's just too much for both of them to be targeted like this.

I remember when TT used to drive an old car. Maybe it's wiser to drive an old car, so as not to attract thieves.

I hope the thieves at least return the costumes.
    Last edited by Ptichka; 07-02-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I´m very sorry to hear about the robbery. A summer cottage is though a strange place to keep anything valuable, in my opinion.
    Not really. First of all, a dacha is a house, whereas she normally leaves in an apartment which is, I'd guess not too large and which she shares with her husband, mother, and sister. So, from a purely practical point of view there is just more space in the summer cottage. Also, from her statement it follows that "outfits and costumes" were in her car, not in the house, and that is what she seems especially upset about.

I agree that summer houses are generally not a good place to store valuable things. You could hire a person who could sometimes visit it for maintenance; but still, they are usually vacant. Besides, your neighborhood also tends to consist of many other summer houses that are also vacant during off season. Perhaps the best thing you could do is to have a contract with a security system that is directly connected to security guards or the police. I am afraid that a car would not be a good place to store valuable things, either.... A car is to be driven (away). I heartily hope that she would come up with better measures so that she won't be threatened any longer.

I am certain that Mrs. Tarasova is grateful for all the advice. But anyone can be the victim of a crime, no matter what precautions he or she takes. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Perhaps the best thing you could do is to have a contract with a security system that is directly connected to security guards or the police.
    I doubt such services exist in Russia.

Here is a more complete article - http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/33094.html.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the translation!

It sort of makes sense to me that the costumes were in the car.

1) She may have been transporting them between places and hadn't yet "unpacked."

2) She'd have them with her when needed wherever she was.

Just some random thoughts.

Custom Title
    Thanks so much for the translation, now the matter is more clear. Huh, those thieves were really ruthless, robbing the car while people were in the cottage sleeping and they managed to do everything so quietely that nobody heard them. I wonder if the car had no alarm system or had no wheel lock on?
    Last edited by Jaana; 07-06-2008 at 06:54 AM.

I doubt such services exist in Russia.
    Thank you for your inference. Mathman, I am sorry if I sounded as if I had been blaming the victim, which was certainly not my intention. Nonetheless, it's a bit difficult for me to imagine rich people living without private security systems. Then what do they do for protection against burglars?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Thank you for your inference. Mathman, I am sorry if I sounded as if I had been blaming the victim, which was certainly not my intention. Nonetheless, it's a bit difficult for me to imagine rich people living without private security systems. Then what do they do for protection against burglars?
    Alarm systems. For the very rich - illegal "security" services. Nothing.

Given these series of car break-ins, has any of the perpetrators been apprehended?

Thank you for your info. That's hard. I would think that alarm systems may not be helpful enough for summer houses because they are vacant and their neighborhood also tends to be vacant. So alarms go off, but burglars could still do their work. I actually have an alarm system of my own. But my landlord upstairs doesn't notice when it goes off for wrong reasons. Nonetheless, uses of these alarm systems would be still better than nothing. The sticker indicating the use of security system by itself would help keep burglars away to certain extent. It's a preventative measure so that having a warning sign like that might be still helpful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast