The Best Choreographer | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Best Choreographer

emma

Record Breaker
MM - I see you (and perhaps Joe) like EoE as much as I - and yes, I was thinking of the version you mentioned (it's one of 2-3 programs I watch fairly regularly just for a 'lift').

I don't really know who choreographed for matt savoie - but just thought I would mention that he too has had some really interesting/complex programs that I also quite like.

carreykim

Spectator
Yuna Kim's "Roxanne" SP

It's by Tom Dickson, and I believe it was rearranged by David Wilson. It's one of the best SP I've seen so far. Breathtaking - can't take eyes off. Music, movements, facial expressions all fit very well. It's also Yuna's ability that makes this one a masterpiece.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Another blur occurred last Worlds with Buttle who was not having a stellar season until then. Wilson gave him the perfect dance to Ararat and voila, Jeffrey gave his finest performance. Was it Wilson or Buttle? or Both?

I think we should give credit to the choreographers as well as the coaches. Without them, there will be nothing but tricks.

Well athough Jeff skated pretty much perfectly technically at Worlds, I feel that he had performed Ararat better artistically the first season he had it. I remember seeing him skate it for the 1st time... he ad made some mistakes, but I was like WOW. I think he was not as emotionally connected to the music and at worlds, probably because of the excitement of landing all his triples!

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Well athough Jeff skated pretty much perfectly technically at Worlds, I feel that he had performed Ararat better artistically the first season he had it. I remember seeing him skate it for the 1st time... he ad made some mistakes, but I was like WOW. I think he was not as emotionally connected to the music and at worlds, probably because of the excitement of landing all his triples!

I agree. When Jeff debuted Ararat in 2007 Nationals, a lot of audience in the arena were in tears. His every move hit every single bit of Armenian duduks.

During 2007-2008 season, I noticed that Jeff was constantly re-arranging the jump elements of the program. He also took out some of the non-jumping elements that appeared to be in the way of jumps. He used to have a really neat spiral going into the opening triple loop - and he looked like an Armenian dancer in that move (http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC062843/armenian_dance/armenian_index.htm), which was left out as he replaced the triple loop with a triple axel combination.

silverfox

Rinkside
MM - I see you (and perhaps Joe) like EoE as much as I - and yes, I was thinking of the version you mentioned (it's one of 2-3 programs I watch fairly regularly just for a 'lift').

I don't really know who choreographed for matt savoie - but just thought I would mention that he too has had some really interesting/complex programs that I also quite like.

I have to chime in to say that I too loved the long version of EOE. I found the 1996 Worlds version done by the 15 year old Kwan utterly breathtaking and the 1998 World Pro version just brilliant.

About Matt Savoie,I remember seeing Tom Dickson at the boards with Matt, fine tuning Matt's programs during practice sessions at the last two or three US Nationals.

Sdongxie

On the Ice
Yes, Tom Dickson choreographed Matt Savioe's programs, and he did well with Jeremy Abott and Yuna Kim's Tango de Roxanne.
David Wilson’s work with Jeffrey Buttle is wonderful, but he also did very well with others, just as D&L " somewhere in time" program and "the lark asending" program with Yuna Kim, and Joannie Rochette's "DonJuan”.

lcd

Match Penalty
The best choreography seems to result from the coupling of the creator and a/their 'muse.' Many think Marina Zoueva's most memorable pieces were borne of her loving relationship with Gordeeva/Grinkov. It seems clear that David Wilson and Jeffrey Buttle are similarly inspiring towards each other. Some of the best choreography though seemed to come from programs that were not designed to meet whatever "rules" of the time constrained them. Think... Robin Cousins as a professional... same for John Curry... same for Usova/Zhulin (check out some of their World Pro programs on YouTube... the one with matching tango attire is amazing)

lcd

Match Penalty
- Robin Cousins - his own programs as a professional
- Slavka Button - her programs for Janet Lynn, and later even one for Mark Mitchell
- Marina Zoueva - for G&G

the common thread... great skaters performing their work

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sandra Bezic, Lori Nichol, David Wilson, Chris Dean all top my list

up and comers - Kurt Browning and Denis Petukhov

pengdequan

Rinkside
For me,David Wilson and Sandra Bezic.
Buttles's programmes along with D/L's fabulous somewhere in time were amazing.
And Lu Chen's programmes were so well choreographed by Sandra Bezic.

camion

On the Ice
I really liked Sandra Bezic's choreography for Joannie Rochette's, "Little Wing". I'll have to check her work out with Chen Lu later on YouTube. Lori Nichol is consistently high on my barometer because her choreography really fits the ambiance of the music.