Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Best Choreographer

I know Evgeny Platov has choreographed the Kerr's programs but I'm not sure if they had anyone else. Regardless, whoever is doing any of their programs is amazing. They are very creative and exciting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    There really are so many great - in terms of choreography - programs over the years. Yet, for me, there is that really blury line between great choreography and great delivery....so that I'm not always clear if it was one or the other (for example, was Kwan's East of Eden brilliant choreographically or in her delivery or both?? I'm not sure, but I love it).
    That blurry line has gotten to me too. Friends and I used to discuss who is the best reporter of the news on TV, until a British friend said, that on BBC, they announce the name of the newcaster as reading the news. So it has mostly to do with delivery. I think the skater gets more credit than deserved. It really is team work. Without good choreography, the skater does not necessarily get at your emotions, imo.

Nichol created, imo, one of the most endearing pieces of work with East of Eden, and Michelle skated it perfectly. Not surprising, Nichol has a knack for developing great routines for Lady skaters.

Another blur occurred last Worlds with Buttle who was not having a stellar season until then. Wilson gave him the perfect dance to Ararat and voila, Jeffrey gave his finest performance. Was it Wilson or Buttle? or Both?

I think we should give credit to the choreographers as well as the coaches. Without them, there will be nothing but tricks.

On the Ice
    Anything by Kenji Miyamoto is a joy to watch. Two cases in point - Daisuke's 2007 exhibition to "Bachelorette" and his new season SP to "Eye". Both exquisite and captivating.

Quote Originally Posted by nippponophile View Post
    Anything by Kenji Miyamoto is a joy to watch. Two cases in point - Daisuke's 2007 exhibition to "Bachelorette" and his new season SP to "Eye". Both exquisite and captivating.
    Bachelorette is good - in fact, it's the first program of his I've really enjoyed, so good thing he's going to be working with Miyamoto this season. I haven't had the chance to watch Eye yet.

I've always liked Lu Chen's Last Emperor LP, which Wikipedia says was choreographed by Toller Cranston. It was a lovely program and really suited her.

london_calling, I agree about the Kerrs. I wish the judges would reward their efforts more than they did in recent years; I find them better than several of the couples ranked ahead of them.

(for example, was Kwan's East of Eden brilliant choreographically or in her delivery or both? I'm not sure, but I love it).
    To me, that was a brilliant example of teamwork. (You mean the East of Eden exhibition program, as performed for instance at the 1998 World Pro, right?).

In that program there were two eye-popping highlights that let you know you were in the presence of great talent. The first was the long spiral sequence, change of edge, switch from forward to backward without putting the other foot down, holding it all the way in to the little curlicue at the center. This is how a spiral should be done (that's why they call it a "spiral" -- it's supposed to spiral in toward the center. Unfortunately we will never see a spiral like this under CoP judging -- it takes up too much time for too few points. )

Lori Nichol deserves credit for displaying this element so prominently in the choreography, but the reason that she could do it is because she had Michelle to execute it. Lori has never choreographed that move for any other skater, before or since, because none other has had the edge control to carry it off.

The other highlight is the split falling leaf to a change-edge spread eagle. Here the move gains its effect because of its placement in the music. It comes right after the bridge (which is rather weak, IMO, in Lee Holdridge's score), just as the music rises to welcome the last triumphant return of the main theme. There is an exact moment when the bombbay window opens, and Michelle drops the bomb cleanly into the gap.

I am tempted to say this is more to the credit of the choreographer, since lots of skaters can do a split jump and a spread eagle. But the timing has to be perfect. Nothing brings down a program so much as when a little bobble or hesitation throws the performance out of sinc with the music, robbing elements of their drama and effectiveness.
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-02-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Custom Title
    MM - I see you (and perhaps Joe) like EoE as much as I - and yes, I was thinking of the version you mentioned (it's one of 2-3 programs I watch fairly regularly just for a 'lift').

I don't really know who choreographed for matt savoie - but just thought I would mention that he too has had some really interesting/complex programs that I also quite like.

Rinkside

Yuna Kim's "Roxanne" SP

It's by Tom Dickson, and I believe it was rearranged by David Wilson. It's one of the best SP I've seen so far. Breathtaking - can't take eyes off. Music, movements, facial expressions all fit very well. It's also Yuna's ability that makes this one a masterpiece.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

Another blur occurred last Worlds with Buttle who was not having a stellar season until then. Wilson gave him the perfect dance to Ararat and voila, Jeffrey gave his finest performance. Was it Wilson or Buttle? or Both?

I think we should give credit to the choreographers as well as the coaches. Without them, there will be nothing but tricks.

Well athough Jeff skated pretty much perfectly technically at Worlds, I feel that he had performed Ararat better artistically the first season he had it. I remember seeing him skate it for the 1st time... he ad made some mistakes, but I was like WOW. I think he was not as emotionally connected to the music and at worlds, probably because of the excitement of landing all his triples!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Well athough Jeff skated pretty much perfectly technically at Worlds, I feel that he had performed Ararat better artistically the first season he had it. I remember seeing him skate it for the 1st time... he ad made some mistakes, but I was like WOW. I think he was not as emotionally connected to the music and at worlds, probably because of the excitement of landing all his triples!
    I agree. When Jeff debuted Ararat in 2007 Nationals, a lot of audience in the arena were in tears. His every move hit every single bit of Armenian duduks.

During 2007-2008 season, I noticed that Jeff was constantly re-arranging the jump elements of the program. He also took out some of the non-jumping elements that appeared to be in the way of jumps. He used to have a really neat spiral going into the opening triple loop - and he looked like an Armenian dancer in that move (http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC062843/armen...nian_index.htm), which was left out as he replaced the triple loop with a triple axel combination.

in ice dancing
    Irina Zhuk always thinking outside the box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBgAw...eature=related

Custom Title
    I don't know who choreographed this, but I never get tired of watching Robin Cousins.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7a7sSuPpmcc

Tripping on the Podium
    MM - I see you (and perhaps Joe) like EoE as much as I - and yes, I was thinking of the version you mentioned (it's one of 2-3 programs I watch fairly regularly just for a 'lift').

I don't really know who choreographed for matt savoie - but just thought I would mention that he too has had some really interesting/complex programs that I also quite like.

I have to chime in to say that I too loved the long version of EOE. I found the 1996 Worlds version done by the 15 year old Kwan utterly breathtaking and the 1998 World Pro version just brilliant.

About Matt Savoie,I remember seeing Tom Dickson at the boards with Matt, fine tuning Matt's programs during practice sessions at the last two or three US Nationals.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Sandra Bezic - Kurt's "singing in the Rain" program
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8F5l4_R_38

David Wilson - all of Jeff buttle's programs especially his Naqoyqatsi program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxxjmF5CVL8

Christopher Dean - everything!!!

Yes, Tom Dickson choreographed Matt Savioe's programs, and he did well with Jeremy Abott and Yuna Kim's Tango de Roxanne.
    David Wilson’s work with Jeffrey Buttle is wonderful, but he also did very well with others, just as D&L " somewhere in time" program and "the lark asending" program with Yuna Kim, and Joannie Rochette's "DonJuan”.

Custom Title
    The best choreography seems to result from the coupling of the creator and a/their 'muse.' Many think Marina Zoueva's most memorable pieces were borne of her loving relationship with Gordeeva/Grinkov. It seems clear that David Wilson and Jeffrey Buttle are similarly inspiring towards each other. Some of the best choreography though seemed to come from programs that were not designed to meet whatever "rules" of the time constrained them. Think... Robin Cousins as a professional... same for John Curry... same for Usova/Zhulin (check out some of their World Pro programs on YouTube... the one with matching tango attire is amazing)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast