Liberty info and other summer competitions in the U.S. and Canada | Golden Skate

Liberty info and other summer competitions in the U.S. and Canada

sillylionlove

Medalist
Ok...does anyone know how to or if you need tickets to go see this competion. This might be the only live competition I can get to for this year.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I don't think so..............
I just checked their website libertyskating.org and it does not say anything........
Anyways, have fun checking out all of the great talent in our country!!!

Edit: This is kind of random but on your signature it says diving my zamboni... should it be driving?..............

sillylionlove

Medalist
Yikes...I mean driving...I will change that right now.

It is free to go....you don't need tickets. It's only about 40 minutes from my house...I might have to check it out. Ryan Bradley and Rachel Flatt will be competing there

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Yay! Summer competitions are now officially underway. I was getting a bit tired of the perennial summer threads (i.e. Mao vs. Yu-na).

I think Patrick Chan will be also competing. Does anyone know where I can find the competitions results?

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Yay! Summer competitions are now officially underway. I was getting a bit tired of the perennial summer threads (i.e. Mao vs. Yu-na).

I think Patrick Chan will be also competing. Does anyone know where I can find the competitions results?

Broadmoor Open just concluded, if you have some extra bucks, you can watch the on-demand replays.
http://www.localmotionproductions.com/webcast.htm

You can find the results here:
http://www.unseenskaters.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5962

McLaughlin/Brubaker only skated their short to 'Malaguena' with an original music cut. The choreography was very nice, but they didn't skate very well.Yankowskas/Coughlin kept their SP, they didn't skate very well. TROMBLEY & IBARRA were good.

Alexe Gilles skated well in long program, I like the choreography of both her sp and lp.

Ryan Bradley and Jeremy Abbott had very interesting programs, but none of the top men jumped well.

A few Jr. pairs to be dispatched to JGP also showed up as well. The novice champion was impressive.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I have to say that both Abbot and Bradley picked great music for their respective styles. I am also glad that they went for the quads.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Sillylionlove-I hope you'll come back and post some reviews of the competition! I've always wanted to go to Liberty but it never falls at a good time of the year for me. Have a great time! :clap:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For those who are interested, Alissa Czisny skated at Grand Rapids Open this weekend. She scored ~ 96 for her FS and ~ 51 for her SP. Spirals were AWESOME and her long is Dr. Zhivago.

Alexe Gilles skated as a Senior at Broadmoor and earned 105.06 for her FS to a latin medley.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
In her senior debut at Broadmoor Open this past weekend, Alexe Gilles landed one of each triple, 5 total out of 6 planned, in her Senior FS (z=lutz, r=loop):
3f-2t, 3z fall, 2a, 3r, 3z-2t, 3t, 3s-2t-2r. She had fun bongo music with different Latin beats (choreographed by Catarina Lindgren Dickson), wore a bright yellow dress and sported a long ponytail. Her unofficial score (as flashed on the arena's Jumbotron) was 105.06.

Becky Bereswill (2nd place) wore blue and skated to "Nessun Dorma." Her jumps were: 2a, 3z-3r (good attempt, but I later heard both jumps were downgraded), 2s, 3f (turnout on 1 ft), 3r (flip out), 2a-3t (on the crescendo of the music), walley to 3z. She scored 93.50 (unofficial).

ETA info about 2008 Liberty: Both Gilles and Bereswill competed at Liberty last year and Gilles is scheduled to return this year (along with her fellow club members Abbott, Bradley, Flatt, Mroz, etc.). A list of registered skaters is usually not available online before the start of the competition.

Liberty (July 15-19, Aston, PA) is free. It's metal bleacher seating so I recommend bringing something soft to sit on. Link to the event schedule: http://www.libertyskating.org/LibertyNews.html#schedule

Some of the deepest and most competitive events are the Junior and Novice ones. I'll post more later.

Last edited:
The Summer Competitions

There doesn't seem to be threads for the Summer Comps. Maybe this should go into the Comps Folder.

Anyway does anyone have any results and reviews of the Broadmore, Detroit, and the Liberty (once it takes place)?

It's kind of interesting to hear about the music being used as well as the overall performance. It's early in the season so results should not be taken seriously but scores may show something.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joe, see posts #5 and #10 above re. last week's Broadmoor Open.

Some of the major club (non-qualifying) comps coming up in the U.S. are:

Liberty Summer Competition, July 15-19, Aston, PA
Skate Detroit, July 23-26, Bloomfield Hills, MI
Lake Placid Dance Championships, July 30-Aug. 2, Lake Placid, NY
Indy Pairs Challenge, Aug. 7-10, Indianapolis, IN

ETA: Thanks to the GS mod. for splitting off all the posts relating to Alissa Czisny at the Grand Rapids Open and creating a separate thread at http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22464
as well as merging the "Summer Competitions" thread into this one and retitling it. :)

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Summer competitions in Canada

Minto Summer Skate: July 31 - August 4th, Ottawa, Ontario

- This is a farily good competition. You can see the up and comers who will be at the nationals a few years down the road.

Wild Rose Invitational: August 1 - 4, Edmonton, Alberta

BC SummerSkate: August 1 - 4, Burnaby, British Columbia

Summer Sizzle: August 8 - 10, Kitchener, Ontario

Thornhill Summer Skate: August 14 - 17th, Thornhill, Ontario

- Men's, pairs' are great, but ladies are meh!

Quebec Summer Championships: August 15th to 17th, Pierrefonds, Quebec

- Chances are it will be the first competition for Rochette, Phaneuf and Samson. And also, we get to see a lot of new junior pairs teams making their debut.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Chicago Open: Aug 1-3 (Skokie, IL)
DuPage Open: Aug 15-17 (Buffalo Grove, IL) USUALLY ATTRACTS THE BEST IN UPPER GREAT LAKES
Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational: Sept 5-7 (Northbrook, IL) ALSO USUALLY ATTRACTS THE BEST IN UPPER GREAT LAKES
Milwaukee Open: July 11-13 (Milwaukee, WI)

Last edited:

diashsk8

Rinkside
What is the Thornhill Summer Skate, Aug. 15-17 like? My family and I are thinking of being in the area on vacation at that time. Is it worth our while? Thanks!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thornhill is a major summer competition, not quite as big as Liberty, but still pretty big. Skaters from other countries often compete at Thornhill.

Last year, these were the competitors:
8 Senior men, including a Japanese man
11 Senior ladies, including Turkish and Swiss ladies
2 Senior Pairs (one from the US)
5 Senior Dance teams (including V/M)

14 Junior men, including US and Korean men
48 Junior ladies, including Japanese, US and Korean ladies.
2 Junior Pairs teams
5 Junior Dance teams, including a US team

13 Novice men, including US men
70 Novice ladies, including US ladies
4 Novice Pairs, including a US team
14 Novice Dance teams, including US teams

13 Pre-Novice men
81 Pre-Novice ladies
2 Pre-Novice Pairs
11 Pre-Novice Dance teams

5 Juvenile men
50 Juvenile ladies, including Japanese ladies
3 Juvenile pairs
5 Juvenile dance teams

diashsk8

Rinkside
Thank You for the reply! I think I'll show this to my family---We all enjoy skating and this looks like a good one to watch! :agree:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Thornhill Summer Skate: August 14 - 17th, Thornhill, Ontario

BC SummerSkate: August 1 - 4, Burnaby, British Columbia
The 2008 dates for BC/Yukon SummerSkate are Aug. 14-17.

U.S. Figure Skating is using COS Summer Skate in Thornhill (near Toronto) as a "Developmental International" for the second year in a row, along with BC/YT SummerSkate near Vancouver. Here's the link to the U.S. skater/team assignments for these two Canadian comps: http://www.usfsa.org/content/Developmental International Team Assignments and Results.pdf

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Some other competitions in September that could attract decent sized fields before the qualifying events of October (regionals) and Sectionals (November) - including Fall Figure 8 in Ottawa, and a new dance competition in Colorado Springs - Pikes Peak Classic - in September the week of the 22nd