Alissa Czisny at Grand Rapids Open | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny at Grand Rapids Open

mskater93

Record Breaker
For those who are interested, Alissa Czisny skated at Grand Rapids Open this weekend. She scored ~ 96 for her FS and ~ 51 for her SP. Spirals were AWESOME and her long is Dr. Zhivago.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
According to someone who saw the Senior Ladies FS detailed protocol at Grand Rapids Open, Alissa Czisny's jumps reportedly were called as follows: 3Lz+2T, 3F, 3Lo<, 2A, 3Lz+2T, 3T+3T<, 2A. She scored 96.24 for her FS and 51.82 for her SP.

Thanks for her music ID, mskater93!

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
According to someone who saw the Senior Ladies FS detailed protocol at Grand Rapids Open, Alissa Czisny's jumps reportedly were called as follows: 3Lz+2T, 3F, 3Lo<, 2A, 3Lz+2T, 3T+3T<, 2A. She scored 96.24 for her FS and 51.82 for her SP.

She got credit for the 3F?! It looked severely under-rotated and two-footed (about the same as the loop from where I was sitting (right in front of where she did the 3F). Also, both 2A's were very scary looking in the LP, although she DID land them (on force of will, not because they were good).

KayMil01

On the Ice
Hmmm I thought she was working with Brian Boitano on fixing her jumps. if so, fixing jumps might take a long time.

Poor Alyssa. She really is branded. Whether she jumps correctly or not, it will be recorded as underrotation.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
For those who are interested, Alissa Czisny skated at Grand Rapids Open this weekend. She scored ~ 96 for her FS and ~ 51 for her SP. Spirals were AWESOME and her long is Dr. Zhivago.

GREAT music choice again. She always picks great music. But that freeskate score seems low.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice

Thank you for the info!!:clap: I had been hoping to hear what she was doing for the LP, was her SP the Swan? I heard she only had a new LP. Im sure the program was beautiful. Shame there are no videos of her performances. I wish her the best of luck:agree:

merrybari

Final Flight
Poor Alyssa. She really is branded. Whether she jumps correctly or not, it will be recorded as underrotation.

Sadly, I fear you are right. She is one of my favorites to watch - if she could ever get her jumps under control she'd be a force to be reckoned with. The rest of her elements are so complete and lovely to see.

dwiggin3

Final Flight

She ditched the hinged skates for conventional ones correct? was she skating in them? Anyone know how that's progressing?

mskater93

Record Breaker

I SAW the program, was sitting right in front of the 3F and it was clearly 2 footed and under-rotated (right around 1/4, so maybe she got the benefit of the doubt), even though it seems she got credit. The 3Lo was a mess (fell out forward on the landing), and the 3T on the back half of the combo was at least 1/2 turn short (and she was lucky to not face plant) because there was not enough speed to complete it cleanly.

I am not "branding" her as an under-rotator, she really DID under-rotate the jumps that received the dreaded "<" and the 3F as well. I can tell the difference between a clean and not so clean jump as I am a skater and even my step dad, who never watched skating until he married my mom a few years ago and couldn't tell you the difference between a flip and an Axel commented that the three jumps in the above were messy.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
nice to hear alissa is trying a 3/3, even if it is an easier one.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that underrotation is Alissa Czisny's biggest problem, and if she is "branded" for it, it's because she is so often guilty of it. Face it: jumps have never been her strength, and as she is now 21, time is running out for her to improve them.

She is a lovely skater in all other respects, but without the jumps, she is not going to excel nationally, against the current crop of US skaters, or internationally. If she doesn't shine in her one GP event this season, the chances of her getting a second assignment (due to a withdrawal) aren't good.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Does ayone here think that SOI would hire Alissa? Because she is a lovely skater, but I think her best days are behind her. I honestly do not see her ever being able to really correct her jump technique and get her head on straight in competition. She most likely will never be a consistent competitor.

Kristin

Rinkside
I agree that underrotation is Alissa Czisny's biggest problem, and if she is "branded" for it, it's because she is so often guilty of it. Face it: jumps have never been her strength, and as she is now 21, time is running out for her to improve them.

She is a lovely skater in all other respects, but without the jumps, she is not going to excel nationally, against the current crop of US skaters, or internationally. If she doesn't shine in her one GP event this season, the chances of her getting a second assignment (due to a withdrawal) aren't good.

Agreed with the above comments.

I have known Alissa for 9 yrs (since she was a Novice!) and have always hoped very much that she could be a medalist in the World/Olympic scene. I still have (VHS) video tape at home of exhibitions when she & her twin sister Amber just moved up to Junior level, a time in my life that I remember proudly telling everyone "these girls are going places!". Both twins were always amazing skaters in my book, humble & sweet as pie. But there is no denying that Alissa was always the more graceful one with the eye-catching spins & artistry, and Amber was the more technical one with the great jumps & footwork. It was very unfortunate that Amber got injured many years ago (foot injury), because her extremely technical jumping style combined with her great footwork, edges, & spins would have done very well under the IJS system.

Alissa has always struggled with the jumps, particularly the double axel. If you notice, she doesn't do a triple salchow in her program either & it is a jump that I know for a fact she has always struggled with as well.

So I don't think Alissa's ability to jump is "branded" in as much as some of us have always seen her struggle with the same jump issues over and over throughout her career. Having said that, there is no denying that she has had a wonderfully successful career with her skating overall, and always will be admired for the things she does extremely well, like her amazing spins & spirals. :bow::love:

Go Alissa! :rock:

lcd

Match Penalty
The moment she steps on the ice... all I want to do is watch her glide and spin... she is one of those skaters (like Michele... Sasha... ) who could do an entire program without a single jump ... and the audience's satisfaction would be no less... here's to hoping there will be plenty of ways to enjoy her skating in the year to come... competitively or not

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not bad for Alyssa. Obviously it won't make her competitive with the top 8 in the World but she holds her own.

As for show skating, I've heard some people who saw her live say that she's a very boring skater. I think she was on Coi...and I was surprised because she sure didn't come across that way on TV.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
I really hope not, but she might fall into that category as one of US most talented skaters that just never achieve the results that they should have.

Her and Nikodinov share the same stories in many ways (though to Nikodinov credit, she was a great jump technician and achieve many good results, but was never her best)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not sure why people have grand illusions and expectations for her. I think she hit her peak during SA/SC '05, and then came out of nowhere at Nats '07. But there are good SKATERS and good COMPETITORS- Alyssa is an example of the former. I don't hold it against her at all.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really hope not, but she might fall into that category as one of US most talented skaters that just never achieve the results that they should have.

Her and Nikodinov share the same stories in many ways (though to Nikodinov credit, she was a great jump technician and achieve many good results, but was never her best)

But Angela Nikodinov's problem wasn't underrotating jumps, but doubling jumps in the FS after she made some minor mistake. She just sort of gave up once that mistake was made.

Alissa Czisny has a far worse problem, because under CoP, underrotated triples often receive less than 1 point. A doubled jump at least receives the full value of the double.