The Ultimate Olympic Silver performance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Ultimate Olympic Silver performance

The Ultimate Olympic Silver performance?

• Paul Wylie: 1992

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • Dushanays: 1992

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Mishkutenok & Dmitriev: 1994

Votes: 30 14.2%
  • Elvis Stojko: 1994

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • Nancy Karrigan: 1994

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Usova & Zhulin: 1994

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Michelle Kwan: 1998

Votes: 60 28.3%
  • Evgeni Plushenko: 2002

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Irina Slutskaya: 2002

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other! Please state

Votes: 18 8.5%

• Total voters

lulu

Final Flight
Tim Wood lost a 5-4 split in the 1968 Olympics, he actually would have won, but one of the judges accidently computed the wrong score for him and wasn't allowed to change it.
So he actually would have won 5-4 instead of losing in a 4-5 split.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I voted for Michelle Kwan but where's Brian Orser? He's a two time Olympic silver medallist and in 1988 it was really close between him and Boitano. I actually prefer him to Boitano and although the Gold went the right way that year, Orser always seemed to be somewhat underrated IMO.

aliaschick

Rinkside
I voted other. CLose tie for me between Liz Manley in '88 and Brian Orser in either '84 or '88. My Canadian bias is showing through! But they were all great performances. If I have to pick one, it would be Liz though.

Ximena

Final Flight
I voted for Plush. He did a great FS, after that terrible fall on the SP, he knew his olympic dream of winning gold was impossible so he went out and did the best he could. He was with pain injections but he did it. And also because he did that wonderful 3a/half loop/3flip

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
M&D but so many of these skaters put down such a special performance that it is hard to choose.

In second place I would have Orser in 1984-a case of figure robbery left him too far behind to overtake Hamilton. It was a great performance.

Paul Wylie in 3rd-a great performance but it wasn't flawless.

The reason I did not go for Liz Manley is that actually I think Ito had the performance of the night in the LP (and the SP too) but she was completely in the pits in figures. But of the final 6 skaters, she was definitely the star of the show.

Michelle's performance was very good, but it was not as good as her national's performance.

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
I voted for Michelle. I really think comparing her Olympic performance to Nationals is unrealistic, she should only be compared to Tara's performance at the Olympics. It was still a great performance, but she had peeked too soon at Nationals and Tara peeked at the right time, coming in as the slight underdog (at least in the media's eyes), and she came with the 3/3s. That unbelievable Nationals performance shouldn't so severely diminish her Olympic performance as it has. In fact, it was better than Oksana B.'s who also faced Nancy with 3/3s and a great skate similar to Tara's and won somehow.

I wanted to vote for more than one though, because M&D's Olympic Rach is my co-favorite pairs FS performance of all time (tied with Shen & Zhao's 2003 Worlds Turandot) and Paul Wylie's performance was amazingly inspirational. Cheers to all those named though.

libra 1

Rinkside
Antilles said:
They're all great choices, but I'd have to go with other-Liz Manley in 88. Maybe it's the Canadain perspective, but wow, that was a fantastic silver performance.

Well, to me the best Olympic Silver performance is Carmen by Evgeny Plushenko (2002). It was majestic like most of imperia1l skates from Plushy!
He went into the free being in the 4-th palce and made it for the second (and might have been first).
This programme will surely be remembered long after all medals and competitions will be forgotten!

Libra - from Russia, with love

temujin

Rinkside
I'd vote other, namely Elizabeth Manley's performance at the '88 games. It was the performance of her life, and the ovation from the crowd was terrific.