The Ultimate Olympic Silver performance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Ultimate Olympic Silver performance

The Ultimate Olympic Silver performance?

• Paul Wylie: 1992

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • Dushanays: 1992

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Mishkutenok & Dmitriev: 1994

Votes: 30 14.2%
  • Elvis Stojko: 1994

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • Nancy Karrigan: 1994

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Usova & Zhulin: 1994

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Michelle Kwan: 1998

Votes: 60 28.3%
  • Evgeni Plushenko: 2002

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Irina Slutskaya: 2002

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other! Please state

Votes: 18 8.5%

• Total voters

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Bronze, your assessment of that night was right on. Paul seemed, and said as much, that he was completely satisfied with the Silver, (or even the Bronze).........42

lulu

Final Flight
For me, it would have to be M&D's program. That program was very haunting, almost a dark tragedy. I loved the spins (the SBS had a Toller Cranston look to them), and the footwork sequence was amazing and emotional. The end with Natalia doing a spin and Artur's flying leap was breathtaking.

With all of these great Silver medal performances it's too bad no one ever thought of doing a Skates of Silver show!

E

Eva-Elena

I voted for poor Irina because she wuz robbed in the short programme and then she saw Sarah Hughes. She must have known her chances had gone down, but she did still put on a great programme. :cry: (can someone hand me a tisssue please?)

merfsk8s

Rinkside
I chose Nancy Kerrigan because that was a really great performance - she should have won the gold. I adore Paul Wylie, but I can't remember that program at all, so I couldn't vote for him. I'll have to check some skatintg videos and see if I have it somewhere. Y'all have really piqued my interest - I must see that skate!!

As a huge fan of Michelle Kwan's I would have loved to have voted for her performance in '98, but - as RealtorGal said - that was not a very inspired performance next to Tara's....and, I'm not a Tara fan, either. But, I call 'em like I see 'em. (Unlike many of the judges, eh?!):D

rain

Record Breaker
silver performance

I voted other because the one I immediately thought of was Liz Manley at the Calgary Olympics. Some of those stated I thought should have won the gold, so I didn't think I should actually vote for them as a great SILVER medal performance LOL. But I will never forget Liz's performance that night - to this day I don't know if I've ever heard such a roar from a crowd after a skate.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
OK, I'm gonna rate them.

1. Paul Wylie: 1992
He wasn't clean and it wasn't the most difficult LP, but wow. It was stunning and considering his 'also-ran to robbed' story, it gets my vote.

2. Nancy Karrigan: 1994
She's got a strong case for #1. I think she was robbed big time, but then again silver wasn't a terribly unpredictable place for her to end up. Paul's story is just too cinderella to lose #1.

3. Dushanays: 1992
I loved, loved, loved this FD. I can see how maybe they weren't robbed, but still I really liked this performance. It was the last of the great Dance routines IMO. No wait, that would be T&D's "FTMAD".

4. Mishkutenok & Dmitriev: 1994
Great performance, I just think that G&G were better overall skaters. Personal preference, one shared by the judges however. Great performance, but just not special to me like 1,2 &3 above.

5. Michelle Kwan: 1998
This one still hurts, but sorry, anything less than what she did at nationals just wouldn't be good enough.

6. Elvis Stojko: 1994
Eh. This was a close call, but to me it was chosing the least of two evils. I hated how both skated.

7. Usova & Zhulin: 1994
Totally deserved silver IMO. T&D should have gotten gold. G&P, don't get me started!

8. Evgeni Plushenko: 2002
Sorry, I just don't get him. He was majorly held up in SP and although he redeemed himself in LP, I still say silver overall was on big fat gift.

9. Irina Slutskaya: 2002
We've seen her be so much better on so many other occasions. This particular performance was so still and nervous and played safe. It was dreadful IMHO, and not a credit to her overall skating.

Others:
Orser in 84 and 88
Ito in 92
Fratianne in 80
Tim Wood in 68 (now this guy was ROBBED!)
Heiss in 56
Robertson in 56
Grafstrom in 32

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Elizabeth Manley - 1988 Calgary Olympics - who could forget the girl in pink - who came from behind all the hype about the battle between Witt and Thomas and gave the performance of the night - it might as well have been gold. She captured the media attention more than Witt did.

Tracy Wilson and Rob Mcall - 1988 Olympics - bronze medal - should have been slilver.

pairs_guy

Spectator
Elvis in 1998, he skated thru a horrible groin injury, to me skating thru all that pain and the way he skated is a tru ULTIMATE olympic silver performance.

Kasey

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
Ok I remember very little other than PAUL's skate at the 92 Olys(and thanks to a Kurt Kompilation ;) I have his on file now too) but I do remember Auntie Marge(the one who got me obessesed with the sport) being upset saying Wylie should have won... personally I can't say so what's the feelings from those of you who remember Petrenko's skates?

Tonichelle,

Without going back and re-watching, I know that Petrenko had both hands and almost butt down on the ice at least once, and had several other almost falls. Paul had i think two "oopsies" and doubled one planned triple jump. Paul's mistakes were less glaring and less an interruption of his program than Viktor's. I like Viktor also. But that night should have been Paul's, and I think that his reputation of "choking" in long programs over the years hurt him in that one.

Kasey

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Liz Manley

Whoever voted for Liz Manley, I agree with. The only thing that held her back were the school figures. She needed help from another skater to win the gold medal, and with the meltdown of Thomas, Ivanova, and the others, Witt's 2nd place free skate won the gold.

Re- Paul Wylie- I read somewhere that it was down to one vote, and the judge (US) didn't want to seem biased, so he voted for Petrenko. Funny, how most judges VOTE for their own country most of the time (Ukraine- Yuri Balkov...doesn't Ukraine have other officials?!)

falula

Spectator
wait are we excluding Sale/Pellitier?
because if not then Deffinately Sale/Pellitier
other than that Michelle Kwan 1998

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Kerrigan in 94, Orser in 88, Wyle in 92 were all wonderful, but I'd have to go with Elizabeth Manley in 88. All that Debi vs. Katarina hype and the home-country girl steals the show!! Plus it was a personal thrill for me because the first time I saw Elizabeth she was in 23rd place (or somewhere about there) after the short program at the 82 Worlds and I thought right then and there she was going to end up on the podium someday!:) :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think Brian Orsers' performance in the 88 Olympics. Of course, Liz Manleys' was outstanding in the ladies, but Brian came so close to winning the Gold. It was heartbreaking.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I voted for Paul Wylie because he came out of nowhere to win the '92 Olympic silver medal. All of the others that have been mentioned were all considered contenders at the time of their events. Next I would tie Elizabeth Manley, Mishkitunek/Dmietriev, & Brian Orser's '84 LP.