Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Johnny Weir Journal - July '08

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Thanks for the music links.

Stephane could do it. he can do anything.
    I ... don't think so ... I can't picture Stephane doing "Swan" and " Otonal " . more beautiful than Johnny did ... IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    I ... don't think so ... I can't picture Stephane doing "Swan" and " Otonal " . more beautiful than Johnny did ... IMO
    Perhaps he would do it in a different way, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to do it just as beautiful and impressive as Johnny. Both pieces are open to different interpretations. My opinion is that Stéphane and Johnny are both very artistic skaters - in a very different way. Johnny is more of an impressionist, where Stéphane seems to be more of an expressionist. If you ask J.M.W. Turner and Henri Matisse to paint a certain identical scene - the result will be totally different, but it would be impossible to say which picture is more "beautiful" - both would possibly be very impressive in their own right.

I happen to think that Stéphane would make a great swan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Perhaps he would do it in a different way, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to do it just as beautiful and impressive as Johnny. Both pieces are open to different interpretations. My opinion is that Stéphane and Johnny are both very artistic skaters - in a very different way. Johnny is more of an impressionist, where Stéphane seems to be more of an expressionist. If you ask J.M.W. Turner and Henri Matisse to paint a certain identical scene - the result will be totally different, but it would be impossible to say which picture is more "beautiful" - both would possibly be very impressive in their own right.

I happen to think that Stéphane would make a great swan.
    That was actually my point of the post. But my impression of the poster sounded like Stephane can do anything unlike Johnny, so I was writing that way.

I agree they are both great artists in different way. Both are very creative.

But my image of Stephane is more fit with music which has speed and power. Johnny also has music that really fit him and he can truly feel with. Because of the personalities ? So I can not picture Stephane doing swan even in a different way unless arranging the music to something up beat . I think Johnny is also very expressive, but not outgoing to audience like Stephane. I like Stephane's artisty but to me, Johnny's subtle performance actually deleted all the other out going performances from my mind.

It’s just a matter of one’s taste.

That was actually my point of the post. But my impression of the poster sounded like Stephane can do anything unlike Johnny, so I was writing that way.

I agree they are both great artists in different way. Both are very creative.

But my image of Stephane is more fit with music which has speed and power. Johnny also has music that really fit him and he can truly feel with. Because of the personalities ? So I can not picture Stephane doing swan even in a different way unless arranging the music to something up beat . I think Johnny is also very expressive, but not outgoing to audience like Stephane. I like Stephane's artisty but to me, Johnny's subtle performance actually deleted all the other out going performances from my mind.

It’s just a matter of one’s taste.
    I totally agree with you. They both are superb figure skaters, both very musical, and both with different styles. I think that's why if one does not get on the fanatical bandwagon of one over the other, both of them can be enjoyed even in competition.

The difference I see in the styles is that Johnny's programs, both comps and exhs, are so choreographed, it does not allow much of himself to come through. I have not seen a complete program of Johnny being one with the music since Otonal, although I know he is quite capable. He seems to be concentrating on clean performances which he does very well. He's very lyrical, and he's young enough to be on the Olys podium.

Stephane, on the other hand, has very strong nuances that go beyond the choreography. I am always amazed how he moves to the rhythms of any music, and with body language.To me, he is a Master Skater encomposing both lyrical and bravura styles. I believe he is even younger than Johnny but I also feel that he has passed his prime, technically. Those knee surgeries are never totally successful.

I'm looking forward to the 2009 Worlds to see how these two are coming along.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I have not seen a complete program of Johnny being one with the music since Otonal, although I know he is quite capable. He seems to be concentrating on clean performances which he does very well. He's very lyrical, and he's young enough to be on the Olys podium.

Stephane, on the other hand, has very strong nuances that go beyond the choreography. I am always amazed how he moves to the rhythms of any music, and with body language.To me, he is a Master Skater encomposing both lyrical and bravura styles. I believe he is even younger than Johnny but I also feel that he has passed his prime, technically. Those knee surgeries are never totally successful.

I basically agree with you too. Sorry you haven’t seen Johnny being one with the music since Otonal. But I did. His Maxim Mrvika -hana wonderland in US Nationals 2006 was one of my favorite. It was a ghost story. It was like a ghost came into his body and moving around on ice and was expressing his/her feeling. Judges and many people didn’t like the music and the program. But I loved it. His " Child of Nazareth " program in Skate Canada 2006 was also very musical . His facial expression was amazing to me. Only program I was not so crazy for was his King of chess.

That’s fine you see Stephane as a Master Skater encompassing both lyrical and bravura styles.
    I enjoy his outgoing performances.
    However, I also see Johnny is a master artist on ice. And I see many things with Johnny’s skating which Stephane and other skaters don’t have.

Stephane has creative unique complicated choreography, wild, artistic speedy movements, but he doesn’t have the detailed beautiful line which I care for the most which Johnny and Sandhu have. I think they know the basics of classic ballet.
    For me, a skater who can do variety of music and can impressed me maybe Sandhu. Only his landing pose on jumps were not so artistic and beautiful.

Stephane is younger than Johnny, but Stephane has more skating experience than Johnny. Johnny didn’t start skating until he was 12.

I thought Stephane’s artistry improved since 2006. Until then I was not so impressed with his artistry. I couldn’t care less how many jumps he fell on if his artistry was on since 2006, because it was so good.

Yes, I also think Stephane’s knee surgeries might be causing his jumps problem. But Petrenko team may be able to fix his jumps next season. Johnny has been struggling with his landing leg, and sometimes it gets worse in COP.

I hope both of them will do great next season.

^ ^ ^
    We do think alike about figure skating. Only our nuances are different, and not all.
    One thing for sure, we are not waiting for the Quads of any skater if that is his only contribution to the 'art' of figure skating.

That’s fine you see Stephane as a Master Skater encompassing both lyrical and bravura styles.
    I enjoy his outgoing performances.
    However, I also see Johnny is a master artist on ice. And I see many things with Johnny’s skating which Stephane and other skaters don’t have.

Stephane has creative unique complicated choreography, wild, artistic speedy movements, but he doesn’t have the detailed beautiful line which I care for the most which Johnny and Sandhu have. I think they know the basics of classic ballet.
    For me, a skater who can do variety of music and can impressed me maybe Sandhu. Only his landing pose on jumps were not so artistic and beautiful.

I thought Stephane’s artistry improved since 2006. Until then I was not so impressed with his artistry. I couldn’t care less how many jumps he fell on if his artistry was on since 2006, because it was so good.

I hope both of them will do great next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    They both are superb figure skaters, both very musical, and both with different styles.

One thing for sure, we are not waiting for the Quads of any skater if that is his only contribution to the 'art' of figure skating.
    Agree with both of you. My feelings exactly. Long live the Artistic Master Skaters !!!!

Last edited by DragonPhoenix; 07-09-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Custom Title
    I think a particularly telling point from Johnny's blog was his comment which reflected the relative "veteran" status that both he and Johnny have in the sport. My hope would be that their maturity as people would make it far more likely that training together will bring out the best in them both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2