Werner on Grand Prix choices, especially ice dancing | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Werner on Grand Prix choices, especially ice dancing

oleada

Record Breaker
What I find amazing is that Werner thinks that Kemp/King will be competitive with a Russian-trained pair. (Yekaterina Sheremetieva and Mikhail Kuznetsov). I know Kemp/King are getting better under the Siudeks, but S/K were selected to go to NHK, which means they had to have qualified. Unless they are complete headcases, they have the technical content, and their basics have got to be better than K/K's.

I looooved Sheremetieva/Kuznetsov. They were one of the highlights of JW for me, and I'm sad they finished just out of the medals. They do have good basics, good unison, oodles of musicality and AMAZING spins. Their programs are really original - they definitely are not your typical cookie-cutter pairs team. They have the difficult throws - a throw triple loop and throw triple flip - but they gave a lot of points away with lower levels on their elements (though I'm sure they can get those up) and not so difficult jumps (2loops). When they tire, they slow down as well.

Since as juniors they already have a PB score significantly higher than K/K (136.14 v. 129.13) and that was with an injury, I'd bet they can beat Kemp and King. Granted it's different in the senior scene, but they're young and have time to improve.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really excited about this young team and can't avoid the opportunity to rave about them. :rock:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think Werner is right to be skeptical. Transition from Juniors to Seniors is never predictable. It would be better if S&K participated in events with other, more experienced Russian skaters - this would really take some of the pressure off. As it is, how they'll perform on the GP circuit their first season among the big guys is just too hard to predict. K&K, OTOH, while perhaps lacking the potential of S&K, are easier to predict.

oleada

Record Breaker
S&K are doing the JGP also, much like Bazarova/Larionov did last season. I don't think they are looking to place, just to skate up to their abilities and see how they compare to other more experienced teams. It's all about getting experience for them at the moment.

ETA: K/K are not a very consistent team either.

Last edited: