Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Werner on Grand Prix choices, especially ice dancing

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I don't see Voronov placing below Mroz without some serious mistakes.
    What I will be looking for in Voronov, is that he has learned to skate with flow, and not chop, chop chop inbetween his elements. Yes, Yes, I know, he landed a quad in Gothenborg. Lutai, if he doesn't freeze up could podium, and similarly, Borodulin too.

Custom Title
    Voronov has good flow over the ice - he's not choppy at all. A lot of people have commented on his good basics. So I don't know what you're talking about. What he needs, imo, is a better choreographer, because there is not much going on between the elements (or is that what you mean?). He also landed the quad at Europeans as well as in both the LP and SP at Worlds and I believe Russian nationals. So it's not like he's just landed it once and he skated most of last season recovering from a foot injury

I hope Borodulin does well. He was amongst my favorites at JW.

Custom Title
    I find Voronov a pretty boring skater, because, as you say, there isn't much in his programs but jump, jump, jump. However, Mroz isn't any more compelling than Voronov.

I am also wondering if part of the reason for DomShabs' coming to the US to train is the condition of his knees. He still has not completely recovered from his surgeries and mentioned consulting doctors in the US. Perhaps he is not satisfied that he is getting the best medical and rehab advice in Russia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    I guess "British" would be a better translation. Technically, "English" is the correct translation of Werner's word, but really it is often used for "British" in Russian. I'm going to change it now.

"English" and "England" are the words people use in Finnish, too.

About Voronov I think that if he would have a better choreographer (and costumes to really fit his bodytype), he could be even more interesting. I have to admit though that because of Urmanov I have been interested in his skating, anyway. It was great that he managed to be fourth in the 2008 WC freeskate with his injury. I hope very much that in coming season his injuries are over.
    Last edited by Jaana; 07-13-2008 at 03:43 AM.

Go NJ Devils
    Many thanks, Ptichka!

Voronov shows good basics part of the time, but he loses them when he tires. His skate in Gothenburg was very exciting, though. I hope he gains more stamina, so that he flows more and throughout the entire program.

What I find amazing is that Werner thinks that Kemp/King will be competitive with a Russian-trained pair. (Yekaterina Sheremetieva and Mikhail Kuznetsov). I know Kemp/King are getting better under the Siudeks, but S/K were selected to go to NHK, which means they had to have qualified. Unless they are complete headcases, they have the technical content, and their basics have got to be better than K/K's.

Custom Title
    What I find amazing is that Werner thinks that Kemp/King will be competitive with a Russian-trained pair. (Yekaterina Sheremetieva and Mikhail Kuznetsov). I know Kemp/King are getting better under the Siudeks, but S/K were selected to go to NHK, which means they had to have qualified. Unless they are complete headcases, they have the technical content, and their basics have got to be better than K/K's.
    I looooved Sheremetieva/Kuznetsov. They were one of the highlights of JW for me, and I'm sad they finished just out of the medals. They do have good basics, good unison, oodles of musicality and AMAZING spins. Their programs are really original - they definitely are not your typical cookie-cutter pairs team. They have the difficult throws - a throw triple loop and throw triple flip - but they gave a lot of points away with lower levels on their elements (though I'm sure they can get those up) and not so difficult jumps (2loops). When they tire, they slow down as well.

Since as juniors they already have a PB score significantly higher than K/K (136.14 v. 129.13) and that was with an injury, I'd bet they can beat Kemp and King. Granted it's different in the senior scene, but they're young and have time to improve.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really excited about this young team and can't avoid the opportunity to rave about them.

I think Werner is right to be skeptical. Transition from Juniors to Seniors is never predictable. It would be better if S&K participated in events with other, more experienced Russian skaters - this would really take some of the pressure off. As it is, how they'll perform on the GP circuit their first season among the big guys is just too hard to predict. K&K, OTOH, while perhaps lacking the potential of S&K, are easier to predict.

Custom Title
    S&K are doing the JGP also, much like Bazarova/Larionov did last season. I don't think they are looking to place, just to skate up to their abilities and see how they compare to other more experienced teams. It's all about getting experience for them at the moment.

ETA: K/K are not a very consistent team either.
    Last edited by oleada; 07-13-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2