Ice skating confessions | Golden Skate

Ice skating confessions

lulu

Final Flight
What are some of your "skating confessions?"

I love ice dancing costumes, and wish single/pairs would take page out of their book.

I like the Loverbukhs.

Oksana G. is bar none the greatest ice dancer ever.

Pairs today is very boring. :(

Shen & Zhou are great, and I love their throws but they are not anything like the greatest pairs team of all time.

Alexei Yagudin is a great skater and he deserved to win Olys Gold. However (IMHO) he is somewhat overrated. I also don't like his footwork.

I didn't like Honda's footwork either this year.

Despite her poor edges, I liked Surya's style.

M&D is my favorite pair-and they deserved gold in 1994. That being said...
I got sick and tired of seeing that d*** Natalia's spin at the end of almost every program of both M&D and K&D.

Artur Dmitriev is the "god" of pairs skating.

I wouldn't disagree with anyone who said G&G were technically, the greatest pair ever, but some of their programs bored me.

The more I watch the tape-the more I think that B&S were the only gold medalists that night.

Except for this year-Michelle Kwan was really boring to me. Although I did like Salome. Although she's a great skater.

I prefer Rodnina & Zaitsev to the Protopopovs. (Even though they never competed against each other).

Last edited:

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Cute thread. Ok, here are mine:

I can't tell the difference between the jumps.
Sometimes I only watch the ladies compete.
I don't understand how ice dance is scored.
I think T&D are "Gods".
Sarah's skating does nothing for me.
Bad costumes and bad haircuts distract me.
I like Plushy's style.
The lack of a good US pairs team depresses me.

Rachael

On the Ice
I don't get the big dilly-o about Dorothy Hamill, Yags, Plushy, T/D, B/S, and Todd E. They are great skaters but are overrated IMO.

There! I said it! It's out in the open! Please be gentle. Only 10 whips across the back.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Rachael said:
I don't get the big dilly-o about Dorothy Hamill, Yags, Plushy, T/D, B/S, and Todd E. They are great skaters but are overrated IMO.

There! I said it! It's out in the open! Please be gentle. Only 10 whips across the back.

Who are your faves Rachael?

Norlite

On the Ice
I can only think of a few right now, but I'm sure in the next day or two, I'll think of more. I actually very much agree with a couple of yours....

I too think Pasha is the greatest ice dancer ever. I have seen pretty much everyone live, since the late 80's and she still stands out in my mind.

I'm not particularly fond of ladies skating. Particularly today. Except for the fact that some of them can land a triple more consistently, I see not much different in basic skating skills from good novice or junior skaters. This difference is very noticable in the other disciples.

I hate the show biz part of skating. I feel this is what keeps our sport from being taken seriously. For this reason I hate the word "performance " used to describe a skaters program.

The constant talk of so and so, "wuz robbed" is dumb. That's the way the sport is judged, the competition is over, deal with it, accept it, and move on.

I loved Shae Lynn's new look last year. I much prefer dramatic to perky :laugh:

Tanith Belbin has to lose the "0" mouth. Perpetually startled is not the look of a serious competitor.

Last edited:

ATW27

On the Ice
I realy can't tell the difference between the jumps (although I'm getting better!).

I think Ice Dance is the most fascinating field of skating.
Part 2 - I think most of the costumes in Ice Dance are not that bad (within reason, of course; I do have limits).
I also enjoy Lobacheva and Averbukh (they're not my favorite team, though).

Still, I enjoy the ladies division the most.

There are very few skaters I actually dislike, but there are some that do nothing for me. But I usually can find something to enjoy with about everybody.

While I certainly respected her, and enjoyed her skating, Michelle Kwan did not realy impress me untill this past season (now I love her!).

I think Vika Volchkova is HOT! (then again, there are so many beautifull, attractive ladies in skating).

While I enjoy both, I'd have to say I prefer elligable skating to professional.

I'd choose Champions on Ice over Stars on Ice (as a matter of fact, I did! I've been to COI, but have yet to see SOI in person).

I wish the IOC/ISU would have found another way to solve the SLC Pairs controversy (if that was possible).

I generaly cheer for the 'underdog' skaters.

dewet

Final Flight
I don't understand ice dance.:confused:
I didn't like the Worlds this year, everything was too predictable.
I like unexpected turn of events.
The ladies discipline is the most interesting.
I thought Sarah was lucky to have won gold at SLC.

That's all I can think of right now.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm a professional skating fan more than an amature one... meaning I would rather watch Ice Wars than the worlds championships

I am just now learning the technical stuff of skating, even though I've been a fan for over 15 years

When I was little (3 up to 8) I wanted to marry Scott Hamilton LOL

I wasn't a Kurt fan until 1998

tafn

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Ah - fans behaving badly.

- I drink beer at skating events. This is mainly to somehow get through the seemingly endless supply of Eastern European skaters wearing hideous rags, clomping around to horrendous music in between thier multiple falls. I know that many here complain about US TV coverage, but after sitting thru numbers 24 to 12, one really begins understand how they could be considered unTVworthy.

- I finally just gave up on dance. I used to love T&D and R&P and K&O, but it's just spun too far out of control for my patience. Civil Rights leader's speeches as music, fake terrorist tragedy dust in over coiffed hair, disco classics. This is art? This is sport? Leave me out of it.

- When Irina fell at the last Euros I spontaineously clapped. I was so imbarassed and ashamed of myself.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ok, let me think...

I love Ice Dancing despite the fact that I don't know much about Ice Dance technique and am still trying to play catch up.

I think Anissina/Pezeirat's 1998 FD to "Romeo and Juliet" is one of the best skating programs ever.

I think Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze are head and shoulders above all the other pairs in terms of basic skating stills and choreography during the eligible days. I also think they are much more romantic on a deeper level than Sale/Peltier.

Now that I watched my tapes countless times, I feel that B/S "Mediation" was way ahead of S/P's "Love Story" in terms of difficulty and choreography. I also feel that B/S should have won 2001 Worlds.

I really enjoyed Surya Bonaly's 1995 LP to that weird circus music.

I think Lu Chen's 1995 LP "The Last Emperor" is one of the most unique and innovative programs for ladies ever.

My opinion on 1996 Worlds: Lu Chen vs. Michelle Kwan always change after I watch either of their programs.

I truly think Michelle Kwan is one of the most subtle skaters ever and has the best grasp of music out of the ladies field ever...you can watch a certain performance numerous times and notice all these certain nuances you didn't notice before.

I think Tara's Sense and Sensibilith/Much Ado About Nothing was a much better program than her Rainbow one, despite being very similar choreography wise.

I thought the original choreography for Michelle's Lyra Angelica (Skate America) was better than it was at Nationals/Olympics/Worlds/GWG...

I still don't know why there is controversy over B/K finishing 4th at Nagano Olympics...but maybe it's my lack of knowledge on ice dancing tecnique that is clouding my judgement.

I always thought Sarah Hughes was a better skater overall than Sasha Cohen despite Sarah's bad posture and bad jumping technique on her toe jumps.

I can't stand most pro competitions...it seems more like judged exhibitions to me... I mean perfect 10s for Scott Hamilton playing golf on ice?

I think Yuka Sato is the perfect female skater to model your pro career after even though some of her programs bore me (most I do enjoy a lot).

Other than Fumie and Shizuka, I don't really like the Japanese skaters.

There really isn't a male skater that I don't like, unless they happen to bore me that season.

I never understood the big deal about Tonia Kwiatkowski. It seems a lot of Carol Heiss-Jenkins pupils are pretty boring to me.

I think there is more, but I will just stop for now. Wow that felt good to get out my chest.

Last edited:

blurrysarah

On the Ice
I tend to find most men's events boring, and only really watch ladies events. I'm a sucker for pretty skating and dresses ;)

I could watch Sasha spiral for hours :D

Jumps bore the bejesus out of me, I'd much rather see intricate footwork, graceful extension and spins than "triple triple triple!".

I also think Surya is awesome to watch. Ok, so she's not the most graceful, but I love those backflips!

Ice dance - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....well, except for B&K this year. And ice dance dresses :D .

As a general rule I hate the look of beige boots. True beige is ok, but most beige skates I've seen are a sickly baby poo green/brown colour.

Michelle Kwan's programs this year blew me away. I loved her music choice. But for previous years, she bored me.

Pookie

Final Flight
I don't get the fascination with Kurt Browning. He is a good skater, no question about that. But I have never enjoyed his skating. (ducking and running)

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Eeeeep, I've been "outed." :eek:

I mostly don't like to watch skating on TV at all.

I'm so clueless at who is who in skating, that when I read the posts here (with acronyms and nicknames), I often don't know who you guys are talking about.

I don't have any favorite skaters; I only have favorite moments or programs (Yagudin's short in Salt Lake comes to mind).

I only watch skating to get ideas for my own programs.

**hangs head in shame and skulks back over to the Lutz Corner boards**

Rachael

On the Ice
All that Jazz said:
One question, Rachael, I noticed there're only NA skaters on your list of favourites. Just accident? Of course you can like whoever you want but I'm wondering. What is wrong with the skaters out there? No offense, just curious! ;)

I also love Fumie, Vika, Caro, Shizuka, Yukina and Yoshie. I was sure I listed them. If not, it must be my uneducated American self coming out.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Oooh, this is fun!

- I can sorta tell jumps apart, but only if I rewind my tape and watch the same jump over and over. Then it's usually like, "Oh, I guess Dick Button is right, that was a triple flip."

- I watch skating w/ my grandma. We make negative remarks every time Sarah Hughes is on the screen. Then I feel bad for being so mean. But not really.

- We also make fun of Terry Gannon nonstop.

- I wasn't a huge skating fan before this season. From 2000-2002 I probably watched one or two competitions a year. Before that I wasn't into skating at all.

- I cried during/after Michelle Kwan's LP at Worlds this year.

- This season I taped competitions obsessively. I have an old crappy VCR that will only record if the TV is on and on the right channel. Once my cousin was staying at my house and changed the channel during the men's LP at Cup of Russia and I held a grudge against her for weeks.

- There are very few male skaters who I don't like. I mean "like" like :love: .

- That being said, Evgeni is at the top of the list. When I saw him at COI this year, I was too intimidated to scream his name.

- Speaking of screaming, when I watch skating alone I'm very vocal. When Plushy fell on his opening quad in his SP at (I think) Cup of Russia this year, I screamed.

- I really like the part in Yags' "Overcome" where he... comes in contact with the ice... :love:

Okay, that's enough!

icenut84

Final Flight
I love Plushenko! I think he's head and shoulders above the other guys (except Yags) artistically. He's also cute. :) I love his flamboyant, exciting style (a few exhibitions come to mind :D ). I'd love it if he won the next Olympic gold.

I thought Takeshi Honda's Riverdance LP was boring! Yeah the footwork sequence was ok, but the rest was empty and bland, IMO. He didn't use the music. And I like Takeshi.

I still don't "get it" about Lyra Angelica. Ok, I haven't seen the infamous US Nationals performance, but from the Olympics I thought it was bland and nothing-y. And I think Tara definitely deserved her win.

I love Michelle Kwan's skating, especially Salome, Red Violin, Fields of Gold and The Feeling Begins. But some of her routines are, to me, zzzzzzzzzz. She needs to fill them out more and do something different style-wise, IMO. I also didn't really "get it" about Aranjuez, although it was nice, and the footwork sequence was great. And get a new dress design, girl!!

Sasha Cohen's Malaguena was possibly my favourite programme from the whole of Worlds!

I think Oksana Grishuk is a little overrated. She was fast, yes, but I never really enjoyed her skating that much. I prefer Evgeny Platov.

Elena Sokolova is great! :)

Love Bourne & Kraatz. Didn't like their FD the first time I saw it (4CCs), but it's grown on me each time I watched it. Loved their exhibition to Sadeness. I really like Lobacheva & Averbukh too, but am glad B&K won Worlds.

If there's one thing that bugs me about ice dancing now, it's the OTT facial expressions! And the way almost everybody sacrifices choreography for extra speed.

I prefer Plushenko to Yagudin.

I love Irina and think she is very underrated (by fans) in the presentation department. It isn't just about being a ballerina, you know. Timeless (01 Worlds EX) is one of my fave routines ever.

I think Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze deserved the Olympic gold.

I think Mishkutenok & Dmitriev probably deserved Olympic gold in 1994, even though I love Gordeeva & Grinkov.

I love Shen & Zhao.

I love Abitbol & Bernadis.

I think Irina Slutskaya should have won the Olympic gold in SLC, because she should have won the short programme. <ducks and runs away>