Ice skating confessions | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ice skating confessions

lulu

Final Flight
taf2002:
Seriously not trying to get in a debate... Just curious though...
what comp do you think B&E were robbed at? The olympics? I don't think they competed at the 1994 WC.
Thanks for clearifying.

icenut84

Final Flight
lulu said:
taf2002:
Seriously not trying to get in a debate... Just curious though...
what comp do you think B&E were robbed at? The olympics? I don't think they competed at the 1994 WC.
Thanks for clearifying.

Brasseur and Eisler *did* compete at 94 Worlds - they came second behind the 4th place finishers at the Olympics, Shishkova & Naumov (IIRC).

taf2002

Rinkside
lulu-I meant the 94 Olys. I would have placed them over G&G and M&D in that particular skate. And they were at 94 Worlds, that's the one that Isabelle had the broken rib & it was unbelievable how they skated. I probably would have placed them 1st there too just because the winners were so boring to me (I can't think of their names but the blonde who looks like Mrs Protopopov.)

astimegoesby

On the Ice
taf2002 said:
lulu-I meant the 94 Olys. I would have placed them over G&G and M&D in that particular skate. And they were at 94 Worlds, that's the one that Isabelle had the broken rib & it was unbelievable how they skated. I probably would have placed them 1st there too just because the winners were so boring to me (I can't think of their names but the blonde who looks like Mrs Protopopov.)

I believe you're thinking of Shiskova and Naumov. :) I wasn't a big fan of theirs either during their eligible career, but they did have great technique and they weren't quite as boring as Eltsova/Bushkov or Petrova/Tikonov. I remember they skated flawlessly at 1994 Worlds while B&E had a couple of small bobbles, but I agree Isabelle definitely deserved a gold medal for guts during that event! :)

S&N also skated cleanly at the 1994 Olympics, IIRC, and it was actually very close between them and B&E for the bronze medal (only one judge or two made the difference). Had G&G and M&D not been allowed to reinstate for the 1994 Olympics, the 1994 Olympics pairs event might have ended in another Elvis Stojko vs. Alexei Urmanov scenario (or heaven forbid, like the SLC pairs event!)

lulu

Final Flight
B&E did compete at the 1994 WC?
I didn't know that.

Last edited:

Cassie

Rinkside
Oh Boy ... my turn .. where should I start?

I'll start with pairs because I love pairs skating ...
(which I guess is a confession all its own)

Watching Jamie and David win 2001 worlds made me cry, T&I was a beautiful program, and after their fourth place finish at Nice, their placement at Worlds made things that much more special.

B&S's "Meditation" does nothing for me. I have seen it during the Olympics, "A Golden Homecoming", and the "Hallmark Valentines Day Special", and each time I watch it .. I try to see what the big deal is .. and fail.

Not a fan of US pairs

I enjoy ice dance .. but when Robin Williams compared it to "polka on valium" I laughed .. I admit.

Naomi Lang is beautiful

Shea and Vic are huge favorites of mine .. Congrats to them on this years Worlds.

I prefer Stars on Ice to Champions on Ice. I went to my first Champions this year and left feeling almost empty. It was great to see some of the eligible skaters: Tim Goebal, Ann Patrice, Naomi and Peter, and of course Michelle .. but seeing skaters warm up outside of the spotlight in the corners of the rink was distracting, and watching some of the programs that I have seen all year was a little dissapointing. I came in on the impression that it was going to be as creative as Stars, and it was not. I am excited to see what Christopher Dean and Scott Hamilton come up with this year.

I dont like singles as much as pairs.

I cant tell the jumps apart at all .. (Although Erica tried to call the jumps out while they were happening at SOI last year)

Got extremely annoyed with Dick Button and his "flutzing", to the point where I almost turned off the TV

Sasha Cohen can skate to "Mary Had a Little Lamb", and I would watch it.

Alexei's "OverCome" program gave me the chills .. Loved it loved it loved it.

I can watch Timmy jump all day long ..his emotion is getting there, but his form in the air is what makes me love him (Random aside.. I cant wait to meet him in Windsor!)

OK .. I will probably add more at some point. *runs from flying tomatoes*

Lucy25

Final Flight
I also don't think we as fans should discuss skater's physical attributes but I can't imagine why anyone would think either Plushy or Sandhu is remotely attractive.
I hear you! Looks really don't matter, but I find Sandu particularly scary looking! I have never seen a man (unless in drag) wear so much makeup. I have a difficult time even watching him.

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
Nancy K. WUZ robbed in '94 :(

Panties worn over skates are ugly, I like to see white or brown skates not you ugly flesh color panties!!!

What if you like both Sasha AND Michelle??:confused:

3-3 combonations are overrated!!

If skaters really want to "up the ante" do inventive footwork, or super difficult jump enterences(ala Yamaguchi), or harder spins instead of mindless, souless, and oft-times underroated 3-3 combos....ahhhhhh it makes me wanna scream :mad:

rtureck

Final Flight
Kwanisqueen81 said:

What if you like both Sasha AND Michelle??:confused:

Then you are at the right board, because over here when you are registered you are a member contrast to elsewhere when you are registered, you are suspended ;)

Last edited:

lulu

Final Flight
I would never ask a skater for his or her autograph or go backstage to have my pic taken with "skater x"

That being said... I enjoy reading the backstage/behind the scenes reports from other fans.;)

While I think FS is in many ways a sport, I understand the arguement of people who say it is not. (Running from the lynch mob) However, I think FS takes more athletic ability and talent than many of the "true" sports: basketball, football, baseball etc.

I also think that FS is one of the most underappreciated athletic events. I don't think a lot of the casual viewer realizes how much stregnth, stamina, and athletic poweress a FS needs.

lulu

Final Flight
I don't really get the obsessive hero worship some fans have for their favs.

The "google groups" skating list annoys me with all of the trolls and childish bickering-but I can't help but read it.

I think Evgeny Platov is hot.:) :eek:

This is a shallow point but: I don't think men look good in all white.

I probably mentioned this before-I just don't like brother/sister teams. No matter how talented they might be, something about it just creeps me out.

I like Bolero and think T&D were very talented, but they just don't do that much for me.

Last edited:

imanta

Rinkside
Sarah's skating does absolutely nothing for me and I too would just cringe when she did her Fosse number. Also, I was totally disappointed that she won the gold at the Olympics, but felt a bit bad about it at the same time because she was so happy.

I totally agreed with B&S getting the gold at the Olympics and, although I like S&P, I thought she got annoying in the post-event interviews.

Tim's artistry leaves much to be desired and his posture, although improved greatly, distracts me.

I hate Michael Weiss's attempts at being sexy.

Surya Bonaly---the indignant response to her scores after presenting a totally sloppy performance irritated me.

The pink panther costume combined with the Q-tip hairdo on Scott&Dulebon was shockingly awful. She's such a beautiful girl. Why do so many female ice skaters have horrendous haircuts?

Oksana Baiul's extremely dramatic/histrionic behavior on the ice for years after her Olympic win was highly annoying.

I can't stand Irina's spirals! (sorry!) I just don't like her positions, although she seems to have good edges and speed. I also don't understand how Irina can get presentation marks that are as high or higher than skaters like Michelle and Sasha. (although she seems to have a cute personality off the ice)

The state of US pairs today depresses me.

I think T&M and P&T are boring (but am hoping for improvements!).

I think G&G deserved their 1994 olympic gold medal.

I feel kinda bad writing all these negative comments. To be fair, there are aspects to all of the skaters I mentioned that are enjoyable. Some I just need to search harder for.

Cassie

Rinkside
lulu said:
I would never ask a skater for his or her autograph or go backstage to have my pic taken with "skater x"

I agree! When my friends start asking me for my autograph, maybe I will consider it. I had a great time backstage in Hartford last year, but the pictures remain locked in my memory!