Ice skating confessions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice skating confessions

kappa_1

On the Ice
When I heard about Miki and Mai and the big jumps they could pull off I was expecting them to have a similar (lack of) style and presentation to certain other up-and-coming big jumpers (who i wont bother to name). I was then shocked that they actually had grace and were nice to watch.

I find absolutely nothing special or especially great about Ota (except of course her Ina Bauer and layback). Overall I found her to be really really boring and much preferred the 2 aforementioned ladies.

I also am wondering what the big deal about Elena S. is.

I was never a Sarah Hughes fan.............until I saw her performance at Worlds this year.

nysk8r

Rinkside
Alrighty, here I go:
I'm a huge fan of Sarah Hughes, flutzes and all. :)

I like Michelle Kwan's earlier programs much more than her recent ones- looking back on Aranjuez, it was a great program but had less in-betweens than her other LP's.

I looooooooove Alexander Abt :D

I think Philippe Candeloro's musketeer program is the best men's program ever.

I wish Deanna Stellato never had that hip injury- I think she would be medalling at Nats at the very least if she was still skating today.

I hope Naomi Nari Nam or Bebe Liang medal at this year's Nationals.

I wish there were more cheesy pro comps- the more skating the better!!:p

shine

Record Breaker
By the way, I think Ota will be the finest artist Japan has ever produced!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Okay...the truth must come out....

I sit on the floor Indian style (sometimes in the fetal position, LOL!) in a complete state of nervousness and extreme anxiety everytime Michelle skates for a major title!

I can't make myself really enjoy ice dancing. I'm a walking contradiction. I love to see mastery of the basic skating skills (deep edges, proper posture and line, etc.) but when it comes right down to it....I miss the jumping!

I was never and am still not impressed with Viktor Petrenko. Good jumping technique, but the rest leaves me cold.

I was outraged when Oksana won the Gold over Nancy in Lillehammer in 1994. LOL...but funny how your opinion changes as you mature. I still think Nancy should have won based on her technical content, but I can see now how others could have awarded Oksana the Gold as well.

Kazakova was no Natalya. I MUCH preferred M&D!

dewet

Final Flight
Some more,

I also secretly want certain skaters to fall....used to be Sarah.

I wish Michelle could have a harder time winning worlds.

B/S deserved the gold, at first I was surprised that they won, but now I can see why they deserved all to themselves.

I hope T/M can give S/Z a harder time at worlds, or anytime they meet(even though I still want S/Z to win).

bumblebee1

Rinkside
Some of my confessions:

Ladies, please don't kill me for this: John Zimmerman does nothing for me. I know, that's considered a cardinal sin on some boards.

I find ice dancing to be boring; I do have favorite teams and individuals: B&K, B&A. Those two teams look as if they enjoy being out on the ice together. Individual wise, I like Marizio Margaglio and Evgeny Platov.

I started paying attention to Alexei Yagudin at the 2001 GPF. I had a little trouble dealing with this for fear of being looked at an un-American. Oddly enough, that thought never occurred to me with Irina Slutskaya.

I couldn't stand watching A. Krylova. I don't mind dramatic, but she was just over the top for my tastes.

I wish maturity would count for something, not just the ability to spin four times in the air and then land. (or three times in the air for the ladies)

Yes, the pro competitions were boring in my opinion. It was the same thing being performed week after week. I don't even watch "Ice Wars" anymore.

I wish I had the money to be able to see more skating competitions live. Luckily, Skate America is in my neck of the woods this year.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
nysk8r said:

I think Philippe Candeloro's musketeer program is the best men's program ever.

I totally agree about this, what a programme, music and performance! Philippe Candeloro was really great (as well as in Godfather I). He is showing true charisma, it is not "choreographed charisma or passion" or over the top going theatrics or melodrama. Candeloro "tells" everything with a very few gestures. To be able to do that, a skater has to have artistry in his heart and soul. Those who haven´t, need the choreographer to do that for them in form of complicated aerobics, gymnastics, theatrics, etc.

Marjaana

Last edited:

ID Nurse

Rinkside
My Confessions:

I don't think T & D were that special, and never "got" Bolero.

I cried when Tai & Randy had to withdraw from the Olympics.

Something about Michael Weiss rubs me the wrong way, can't explain it.

I still miss Paul Wylie.

I don't think that the skate order for the men's short in Lillihamer was an accident-the powers that be were trying to give Browning every opportunity to win that Gold (but I also feel that Oswald was not the lone gunman, so I love conspiracy theories!)

Scott Hamilton should have kept his mouth shut in SLC. If the "best performance of the night" always won, David Santee should have been national champion in 81, Robert Wagonhoffer should have been national champion in 82, and Brian Orser should have won the Olympic Gold in 84.

I never liked Michelle Kwan until I saw her skate in person.

I never liked Katarina Witt all that much (but my husband does...)

I have never liked SOI, cringed when I heard Todd Eldredge joined the cast, and cried "say it ain't so" when I read in IFS that Brian Boitano was considering joining the cast as well.

I miss the World Pros and the Challenge of Champions.

Antilles

Medalist
I also love Candeloro's Musketeer program. When I compare it's sword fighting footwork sequence to the one Alexei did in MITIM, I find Alexei's lacking.

Also, I agree with those who said COI is much better than SOI.

Lynn226

On the Ice
I have a few more . . .

I never thought Elvis should have beat Urmanov in Lillehammer. And I hope his return to eligible skating is a total flop. I want Jeff and Eman to go to Worlds.

I think that M&D should have beaten G&G in Lillehammer. To me, the judging of that event was as bad as SLC. You didn't hear anyone crying foul there.

I also secretly wish for certain skaters to fall. :D

I wish Michael Weiss and Evgeni Plushchenko would just disappear.

I did not like Michelle's programs this year. (Runs for cover)

That's all for now.

Some of you guys are so funny!

ID Nurse

Rinkside
More confessions--these are being written from inside my steel-reinforced confessional:

I never thought G & G were all that special.

Sasha Cohen rubs me the wrong way, I don't know why.

I can't believe that a skater who can only spin (yes, her spins are incredible, but she can only spin) gets so much attention.

I wish the 93-94 season could be permanently erased from my memory.

That said, I think the Tonya-Nancy fiasco was the best thing to happen to skating that year.

I wish Michael Weiss would save those freedom blades for exhibitions and actually land all his jumps in competitions.

I wish Michelle, Elvis and Todd would come over to the "dark side" (the pro ranks!)

I think Michelle Kwan should never have shown up at the Olympics without a coach (there is a reason Doctor's don't treat their own families)

Although I was pulling for Yagudin to win the gold in SLC, I am ready for someone other than a Russian man to win a Olympic Gold (it has been since 88, after all)

Finally, although I love Brian Boitano, if I have to see Hernando's Hideaway one more time I will be forced to throw a cigar at the TV.

I'm off to beg forgiveness and say my penance....

Pookie

Final Flight
As much as I love Michelle's skating, I am tired of hearing about her. I am tired of her interviews, tired of her "Up Close and Personal's, tired of Peggy gushing, tired of her wanting to be a legend. . . .

I think that M&D should have beaten G&G in Lillehammer. To me, the judging of that event was as bad as SLC. You didn't hear anyone crying foul there.

Me, too. G&G may have been "textbook pair skaters" but they never had the excitement of M&D.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Here goes.............

One of my best friends (he's the younger brother I never had!) is a dead ringer for Michael Weiss and when I hear people say how sexy they think Weiss is, I get a horrible case of the willies. It's like someone saying they think your mother is sexy! Yuck!

Before the whole knee thing, I secretly wished Tonya would punch Nancy in the mouth.

I feel so evil................

Nan :(

fanforlady2001

Rinkside
Michelle kwan's lyra is the only program from any skater that can bring me to tears.
I like weiss, even though I try not to.

Olenska

Rinkside
Here are my confessions:

- I cried when Brian Orser didn't win in Calgary.
- I hated, HATED Brian Boitano for years afterwards.
- I hated Kurt Browning for very long, because he was winning more Worlds than Brian O.

- Most Ladies do nothing for me. Michelle Kwan: blah. Too perfect. I like Fumie and Viktoria, tho. They may have shortcomings, but they are delightful to watch. Sasha is exciting, but a bit annoying.

- Elvis Stojko is an insecure guy who's afraid of looking wussy, so his skating is f-ugly. I'm sorry if I offend anyone.

- What with all the judging scandals, ridiculous histrionics and ugly costumes, I think that Ice dancing is the most interesting competition.

- Man, Maxim Marinin, Artur Dmitriev and pre-surgery Eman are hot!!!

There must be others I forget, but there you go.

lulu

Final Flight
Pre-surgery Eman? I think I've missed something.

LOL Actually Isaw a picture of him in a skating book, that came out just before SLC. He had blond highlights and looked pretty good.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
MORE confessions!

I don't think Tim Goeble's Presentation skills are all that bad.

I don't hate Mike Weiss

I think that turquiose, purple, and black "corset-ey" costume that Sandhu wore (i think last season) is the ugliest mens costume I've ever seen.

Holding down skaters really ticks me off. A LOT

I hate Robin Wagner A LOT

I love Fumie, but something about her feet annoys me....maybe its the boot covers, but they look really big and square.

kappa_1

On the Ice
More confessions

I did not want MK to win nationals or worlds (I appreciate her skating but I'm an underdog fan), but when she hit her spiral chills ran through my body.

I agree with Mr. Richard Button and/or Peggy most of the time.

No matter HOW deep the edges are, I just hate 90 degree-ish, poorly extended spirals.

I happened to fall asleep right before Sarah's SLC performance, and woke up when she was getting her scores (I had a long day).

I didn't like MK's "the feeling begins" SP or her Lyra LP.

When Sasha fell at nats this year I fell of my chair in sadness.