Ice skating confessions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice skating confessions

kirkyo

Rinkside
S&Z's World's Turnadot has moved me to tears SEVERAL times.

I wouldn't know hardly anything about classical music if not for skating.

I think that my obsession with skating is the "gay"-est thing about me.

When I watch MK skate, I get so nervous I can barely stand it.

I can trace my skating obsession back to the 1998 Olympics and the rise of message boards on the internet.

I don't understand what a Baboo is.

I thought the Untouchables was beautifully choreographed.

I didn't give a crap about Johnny Weir until his National's disaster.

kirkyo

Rinkside
and to comment on what others have said, I ITA with:
I wish Deanna Stellato never had that hip injury
Brother and sister teams creep me out.

and LOL by:
I hate Robin Wagner A LOT

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
I agree that M & D should have won in 94. G & G were lovely, but I would have given it to M & D.

As much as I loved Mk's 96 Salome, I think that Chen Lu's Rachmaninov was absolute perfection. Hard choice, but Lulu should have won, imo. I actually think that MK's 97 Taj Mahal was a superior program and I really wish she had won with it and DOD that year.

I cannot watch competitions live because I get too nervous for the skaters. If it's in Europe/Asia/or the East Coast, I go online and find out what happened before I see it.

I liked S & P's Rachmaninov LP from the 2002 GPF better than "Love Story." I wish they had used that at the Olys.

I have a lot of issues with the whole SLC Olys figure skating competition [who doesn't?], so I rarely watch my tapes of it.

More to come...

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I fast forward through Michelle Kwan.

I sobbed when Elvis skated his LP, 98 Olympics.

Elena and Anton should have won. And their post-Olympic behaivor has been more than gracious and very classy.

I greatly dislike Dick Button. And Joesitz's pic of him freaks me out every time I see it. :)

I want to give Brian Orser a hug.

I looooove skating gossip, especially love life gossip.

I once made fun of Jerod Swallow's hair...and he heard me.

mike79

On the Ice
I think that if more people used music like Kurt Browning does figure skating would be better off.

I still haven't forgiven Nancy Kerrigan for her behaviour after the 1994 Olympics.

I think Michelle Kwan should skate forever.

I used to hate Kristi Yamaguchi just because I was a huge Midori Ito fan, but now I love everything Kristi does.

I think FP&M were the most overrated Dance team in history.

I admire Brian Orser not just for his skating, but for his honesty in saying that not winning the gold in Calgary devastated him.

I don't understand the Brian Joubert hype even though I think he's talented.

I think M&D should have won gold in Lillehammer, and that it was the the best night of skating in the history of Pairs.

I think Katarina Witt and Ekaterina Gordeeva are goddesses.

I wish Michael Weiss should pack it in and retire.

I wish Dick and Peggy would learn to shut up while people are skating, especially since they mess up the name of every move they comment on.

"I don't understand what a Baboo is. -- Kirkyo
Baboo (also Babu): A Hindu courtesy title, equivalent to Mr.

"You are my sweet Baboo" -- Sally (Charlie Brown's little sister, in Peanuts) to Linus

(signed) Wordman:p

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm enjoying this thread, too!!

Berthes Ghost wrote:
When Irina fell at the last Euros I spontaineously clapped. I was so imbarassed and ashamed of myself.

When I saw a picture of Irina's huge splat on her double axel, I had to send the picture to my-then-boyfriend who enjoyed the falls the most.

IceNut84 wrote:
I still don't "get it" about Lyra Angelica. Ok, I haven't seen the infamous US Nationals performance, but from the Olympics I thought it was bland and nothing-y. And I think Tara definitely deserved her win.

MK's Lyra at Oly's was bland. If you want a copy of her performances at Oly's, I can probably make a copy if your VCR plays NTSC format. Although I really wanted MK to win and although I can't make any claims on a technical basis, Tara deserved to win Oly's based upon the freedom and joy in her skating at Oly's.

Icenut84 wrote:
I think Irina Slutskaya should have won the Olympic gold in SLC, because she should have won the short programme. <ducks and runs away>

As big an MK fan as I am, I agree that Irina should have won the Oly SP BUT I think I would've placed MK over IS in the LP.

I liked Mike Weiss before he started trying to land the quad - it seems to have had a negative impact on his skating. Too much emphasis on the one element which is his least consistent.

I like Tim G's skating. I realize it needs improvement, but the rest of the US Men's field has been stagnant (Weiss, Savoie) or unproven/overhyped (Johnny Weir)Tim's exciting because he's got pretty consistent jumps. I like that he keeps his movements simple - doesn't use all the flourishy arm movements.

GermanIce wrote:
Todd Eldredge is a technical fine skater, but his performances always put me into sleep. Did he ever skate to something which is not cheesy, histrionic or kitschy?

I also find Todd boring, but I enjoyed his one 'fun' number because it showed him just having fun. He drew 'Who Let the Dogs Out?" during the last Improv On Ice.

I agree with everyone who doesn't understand Plushys' physical appeal.

I miss the more legitimate Pro Competitions and can't stand the "Tribute to ______ starring skater_____' even if the skater is one of my favorites. They seem so poorly produced for skating fans.

I like listening to Dick Button's commentary. I can't stand Scott Hamilton's commentating.

I wish B&K had won their World Championship with a program that was more North American. Their free dance seemed to be a gift to the judges in that they imitated the typical European dramas - as opposed to ballroom dance.

I can't stand the pseudo-sexy smirk of Victor Petrenko. And Philippe, please leave the shirt on and get rid of the props.

I can understand why COI is losing its audience. Too many gimmicks. (Irina Gregorian's hula hoops, Vlad & ? 2 man-skating) Too many props. (Dan Hollander costume changes to South Park/Mrs Doubtfire, Philippe) I like the ensemble numbers at SOI - plus the smaller cast means that each skater performs more than once.

I thought Kristi's skating deteriorated after she retired from SOI.

With the exception of 'A Little Less Conversation' I didn't find last year's SOI to be on par with previous years. I'm really glad that Chris Dean will be overseeing the show this year since Sandra Bezic has had a hard time making SOI appealing the last couple of years.

If MK goes pro, I want her to sign with IMG/SOI.

I think Oksana B was a drama queen and couldn't stand her for that reason alone. I think I may be changing my opinion of her this year because I did enjoy her at last year's Hallmark Mother's Day show and it seems like she's finally gotten her act together.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Great thread!

I don't know how I missed this thread until tonight! Great posts, everyone!

My True Confessions:

- I was "angry" with Michelle for "letting" that bratty upstart win "her" Olympic gold medal in '98. Her Nationals performance had been so amazing, and I was just too disappointed that the Olympics performance was nowhere near as heartfelt.

- Mr. RG moans loudly when a skater (especially his favorites like Sasha and Shizuka) falls during a competition.

- I prefer to know the results of a competition before I see it on TV. I enjoy the skating a lot more when I'm not nervous about the results.

- I absolutely love it when an underdog has an amazing skate. That's why I didn't mind Sarah's wonderful victory in SLC.

- I love it when Philippe takes off his shirt! Also, I loved his Three Musketeers program.

- I can't stand programs that make me think of "Whores on Ice".

- I hate it when skaters pull their tights over their lovely white skates.

- If a skater acts pretentious, fake, phony or obnoxious on the air, it's hard for me to get past it. Past perpetrators include Brian Boitano (the ultimate fakester) and Pasha Grishuk.

- The hair on the back of my neck stands up when a skater talks about "being a legend" or "just having fun" on a UCAP. Bull pucky! I think this is why I found Sasha so refreshing. No one devotes their life to a sport just to "have fun". They want to WIN! Why can't they just admit it?

- I greatly admire Nancy Kerrigan for the courage and determination (and pain she must have endured) to from knee whack to Olympic silver medalist in such a short time.

- I still miss Paul Wylie. I love Rudy Galindo.

- I had a little "crush" on Toller Cranston when he competed in the Olympics.

- Skaters who make overly dramatic faces turn me off. The greatest perpetrator was Marina Klimova when she won Oly dance gold. I could NOT bear to look at her face!

- I love this message board! However, I do believe that many posters "jump on the bandwagon" when it comes to certain skaters. For instance, I think one or two people made comments about Sasha's problems in stroking and edges, and now it seems like EVERYONE comments on it. Come on, people! Be an original! Write about what YOU see, not what others say!:love:

rtureck

Final Flight
I don't find Sasha refreshing at all. She says boring polite things just like any other skater. She started out that way in 2000. When she failed to place on the podium at jr worlds, after being hyped as the one to win gold, she said in an interview, "I am glad I slated the best for myself". Well who is she kidding?

The so call fiestiness was instructed by her coach John Nicks. "My coach told me there are too many ice princesses, and I need portray something different" Paraphrasing Sasha in one of the fluff pieces in 2001 Skate America. Since she fired Nicks and switched to TT, we have been seeing the boring interview style, e.g. in her latest IFS piece . So who is the real Sasha?

I think Sasha's edges are not the greatest in the world, and there is no wagon jumping, I saw her live skating many times, just an opinion.

So some posters here do not worship Sasha, that does not mean there is any wagon jumping.

Last edited:

Lisa

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Baboo (also Babu): A Hindu courtesy title, equivalent to Mr.

"You are my sweet Baboo" -- Sally (Charlie Brown's little sister, in Peanuts) to Linus

(signed) Wordman:p

For all I know, Brian's family calls him "Babou" (pronounce: Baboo). I think it's because of the French way to create tender nicknames for their kids. When I was in France, I knew one Dominique who was called "Doudou" by his family and one Adrien who was called "Didou". Just my two cents.

lulu

Final Flight
I love Chris and Simon (Eurosport fame)

Scott Hamilton is the worse US skating commentator. He is just way too bias for me.

Ladies used to be my least favorite-but after World Champions I am really looking forward to it.

I really am looking forward to seeing Fumie, Elena, Vika, Elena Liashenko, and the other Russian and Japanese girls.

I sort of miss FSW. I didn't discover it until 2 month before it became F$W. And when I was on-I remember being pissed by all of the trolls. But since I only had a little bit of time on it, when it went away I missed it.

I really don't like fans who take skating too seriously. Like those who take a constructive criticism against a skater as a personal attack against themselves. Or those who act like unfair judging is a problem on the scale of famine and war.

Last edited:

dewet

Final Flight
I think Sandra Bezic is the worst TV commentator, she is so annoying!

I find almost all the US men to be boring.

Nobody has moved me emotionally to tears.

Sasha is overrated, IMO, she is talented, but what's so great, besides her flexibility?

frozetoez

Rinkside
Re: Great thread!

RealtorGal said:
- If a skater acts pretentious, fake, phony or obnoxious on the air, it's hard for me to get past it. Past perpetrators include Brian Boitano (the ultimate fakester) and Pasha Grishuk.

What a load of bulls***. :sheesh:

I can't speak for Pasha, but you definitely don't know jack about Brian Boitano if you think he's pretentious, fake, phony or obnoxious. He's one of the kindest, most sincere people I've ever met, and he was unbelievably kind to my friend when she was seriously ill. Hate to break it to ya, but Brian's a wonderful person, and you're an extremely poor judge of character. :rolleye:

Last edited:

windspirit

On the Ice
Some of mine:

- After he retires I want Abt to join SOI (they can get rid of Steven Cousins, if they haven't already :p )
- Todd Eldredge used to *bore me to tears*, now I really enjoy his skating.
- I don't get the appeal of these skaters AT ALL: Lipinski, Volchkova, Savoie. Zzzzzz...
- Angelika Krylova's head is bothering me: it's too small and her neck is too long... Makes me think of those people who could shrink heads.
- Despite all his faults I can't help but like Mishin. :D I think he's a cool and intelligent guy (if only he wasn't so tense...). But it doesn't mean that I'm going to stop "arguing" with him anytime soon.
- Scott Hamilton bores me. While I'm at it, the scores he got at Ice Wars for that unbelievably boring and completely pointless golf program were freaking *unbelievable.*
- Although it'd be nice if Sasha worked on her edges a little more, I don't care if she ever has "as deep edges as X." She has something else -- that no one else has.
- All those people who like to "pseudoanalyze" skaters' behavior/personality/character/motivation (and think they're right) make me :rolleye:
- I wish that obsessive fanatics obsessed over something else, somewhere else. Zzzzzzzz...
- I'd rather Philippe didn't take his clothes off.
- Zimmerman, Sandhu, Cousins, Tchernyshev do nothing for me as men. Gorsha Sur, Povilas Vanagas and Denis Petukhov are HOT!
- Butyrskaya's ankles look as if they might snap any second.
- I would really, really love to see Yagudin and Plushenko skating in a show they organized together.
- I've had it with the commentators who can't SHUT UP (=95% of them).
- Peggy's plastic surgeon should give her the money back.
- I think Plushenko has grown up into a gorgeous man.
- I prefer Yagudin's "Revolution Etude" to "Winter", and "Broken Arrow" to "Gladiator." I don't mind if he cries a lot, as long as they're happy tears. I love his natural hair.
- I, too, think that genocide themes are somewhat inappropriate.

Last edited:

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
I love the replies here! What a great cross-section of viewpoints!

Okay, here's mine:

The only male skater I truly enjoy and identify with is Kurt Browning. The man is an artist on blades.

I used to like "scary" Gary Beacom (sp?) because you never knew what he was going to do and it was either awesome or totally goofy -- but never boring.

Okay, one more guy -- Laurent Tobel. (Sp?) The dude always cracks me up. Every ice show needs some comic relief, and he never disappoints.

I love Michelle's lines. She has an awareness of line, composure and artistry that even older vetrans lack.

Dorothy had that same thing going on for her. While I enjoy her occasional returns to the ice for sentimental value, all I can say is that you should have seen her in the mid-seventies.

I don't care much for Maria Butyrskaya (sp?) or Oksana Baiul. They have had a few incredible moments, but they seem to be the exception to the norm for them. But they both did have that one unforgettable moment...

I usually loathe Rudy Galindo's programs, but I totally respect the guy for finishing his "Champions" tour on a BROKEN hip -- postponing surgery and skating in some MAJOR pain. He's also vowed, after the surgery (and another for his right hip) to return to skating and skate even better. You just can't buy that kind of "heart."

I miss Karen Cadavy (sp?). She's not the most technical skater, but she seems to know her limits and kicks style into high gear most of the time. (Okay, except for that horrible "Mambo Italiano" thing. What was she thinking?) I've always said that ship builders used to carve faces like hers to place on the bows of their ships. Stunning.

I also miss Denise Beilman. (Sp?) Energy, line, innovation and no fear of music with a BEAT. Few statues are as sculpted, giving her the best line to her spin, even if others have done it better technically. And those outfits! She's got it all.

My pulse always quickens when Anissina & Pezerat (sp?) hit the ice. They always deliver the "oohs" and "aahs." And I, for one, don't mind a little heat on the ice.

I love Scott Hamilton's commentary because he often says what I'm thinking. He took a lot of crap for his on-air criticism of the Olympic judging, but he said what I, my wife, and just about everyone I knew who watched was thinking. I like his openness, and respect his knowledge. He also doesn't villify skaters who are having problems with a performance like a certain Mr. Button does.

One of the best technical performances I've ever seen was turned in by Nicole Bobek. Possibly the worst performance I've ever seen was turned in...by Nicole Bobek. I love her bubbly personality and snarky attitude. When she was "on," look out.

I admire Surya's guts, especially when she did her "illegal" back-flip. In your face, judgie-poo!

Watching Fumie grow into both her body and the sport has been fascinating. Her parents must be proud!

In the "makes me yawn" file: Todd Eldredge, Brian Boitano, Yags (when he does his "head movie" programs), Pasha (and give me a break with that name already!), and a whole bunch so boring I can't even remember their names!

Oh, and I must mention Lucinda Ruh. Total class, awesome talent, great artistry, and one smart lady! I never miss a chance to see her.

Just my extremely colored, biased opinion! :)

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
heyang said:
GermanIce wrote:
Todd Eldredge is a technical fine skater, but his performances always put me into sleep. Did he ever skate to something which is not cheesy, histrionic or kitschy?

I also find Todd boring, but I enjoyed his one 'fun' number because it showed him just having fun. He drew 'Who Let the Dogs Out?" during the last Improv On Ice.
Ouuups, yeah, I forgot that, got it on tape. To me it seemed a quite helpless effort, but it was a brave try at least! BTW, does anybody know if there'll ever be another "Improv Ice"? I always liked the idea behind it, which means to get the chance of watching a skater performing something totally unusual (if the draw allows it!). And I'll never forget Kurt's "Meditation" there. What a genius that guy is!
I prefer Yagudin's "Revolution Etude" to "Winter", and "Broken Arrow" to "Gladiator." don't mind if he cries a lot, as long as they're happy tears.
You prefer "Revolution Etude" to "Winter"? So do I, especially his performance at Worlds 2001. Just breathtaking! But then I still prefer "Gladiator" over "Broken Arrow", but "Broken Arrow" over "MITIM", but then again "Lawrence of Arabia" over ... :confused: And I don't mind his numerous tears either, just the opposite, nobody cries as lovely like him! :love: Just too bad he doesn't get any extra marks for it! ;)

Anke

Last edited:

dizzydi

On the Ice
My confessions:

Never liked the attitudes of Katarina Witt and Surya Bonaly. Therefore, I have a hard time enjoying their skating.

I don't like Plushenko's skating. His overdone dramatics just drive me crazy and take away from the technical aspect of his programs.

Although I think Irina S. is an awesome skater, she works too hard at the artistry part of her skating which just doesn't come naturally, in my opinion.

I don't like Angela N. as much as some. Where others rave about her wonderful skating, I sit perplexed to really see it. She does have some great moments but overall I fail to see her as a spectacular skater.

Fumie's skating does nothing for me. I find her skating performances to lack polish. I feel she lacks extension and pointed toes....all those things that separate the good from the great skaters.

I dislike exhibition programs where people shed their clothes. To me this is not creative, it's simply an attempt to shock the audience. The other thing I dislike are skaters who go into the audience sitting on laps, etc. This brings a certain sleeze element into skating which I don't appreciate.

I'm sure I can think of more but it feels good to get these opinions out there.

Dizzy

dizzydi

On the Ice
One last confession:

I try to stay out of conversations on the forum about skater's physical beauty or lack thereof. For one thing, it's a matter of taste and, most importantly, your physical appearance is just a crap shoot in the genetic pool lottery.

However, I now speak out.........I can't for the life of me figure out why people would find Pleshenko physically attractive. I find that so very astonishing.

There.....I've said it.

Dizzy

I confess that I am a sucker for rousing patriotic and martial music. Todd Eldredge can get me every time.

Also, I thought that Surya Bonaly should have won the world championship in 1994 over Yuka Sato. But now I love them both.

MM