Thread: Kristi, Michelle make Harris poll of most popular athletes

Custom Title

Kristi, Michelle make Harris poll of most popular athletes

I just want to say congratulation to kristi (mainly because of dtws) for being#8 female on the harris poll for the us and #9 on the canadian poll.
    michelle for being #8 on the female harris poll in the us.
    congrats.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...B%7D&dist=hppr
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-16-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Add link

Custom Title
    That poll has Martina Hingis as an ice skater.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    That poll has Martina Hingis as an ice skater.
    That does not say much about such a Poll. Does it?

Kristi really did shine in Dancing with the Stars.

Interesting that Maria Sharapova is #4 & #1 while Ana Ivanovic doesn't make the top 10 in either list. IMO, Danica Patrick doesn't win enough races to be #1 & #2.

Custom Title
    At tad disappointing that Canadians did not hold someone like Kurt Browning in high enough regard... the hockey player inclusions completely understandable... but if golfer Mike Weir can make the cut?

Hooray for the US remembering Billie Jean King. Wonder when the survey was completed... if it was fairly recent, would think that the Williams sisters having just captured mindshare/headlines from their Wimbledon final appearance/battle couldn't have hurt....

Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    At tad disappointing that Canadians did not hold someone like Kurt Browning in high enough regard... the hockey player inclusions completely understandable... but if golfer Mike Weir can make the cut?

Hooray for the US remembering Billie Jean King. Wonder when the survey was completed... if it was fairly recent, would think that the Williams sisters having just captured mindshare/headlines from their Wimbledon final appearance/battle couldn't have hurt....
    The data was collected in mid-June, so before Wimbledon. The Willams sisters have been high on this list every year for quite a while (Michelle, too.)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Interesting that Maria Sharapova is #4 & #1 while Ana Ivanovic doesn't make the top 10 in either list. IMO, Danica Patrick doesn't win enough races to be #1 & #2.
    Well, the poll was, name your favorite sports star. So I guess you can be somebody's favorite whether you win or lose. I think a lot of people give Danica Patrick credit just for being out there against the good old boys.

I believe that the purpose of this particular poll is to provide information to prospective commercial sponsers who want to know who's hot and who's not. (Note that this article is from Marketwatch, an on-line service of the Wall Street Journal.)

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I wonder how many people remember Kristi for being and Olympic Champion rather then champion of dancing with the stars.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I wonder how many people remember Kristi for being and Olympic Champion rather then champion of dancing with the stars.
    Not many!

Very few!

And they're all dead anyway.

Just kidding, I couldn't help it, the question immediately brought to mind an old sorority cheer/chant. [Here's to us! And who's better than us? Not many, etc.]

I've never come anywhere close to forgetting Kristi, like many other skate fans I'm sure, but I'm very happy for her that she got a new chance to shine with DWTS!

So impressed with all the moves and flexibility she showed on DWTS. What an inspiration to old middle agers such as myself to try in my own small way to stay fit and not be afraid to do new things. (Not that Kristi's old, but she's no 20-year-old spring chicken, either.)

Geez, I'm really rambling tonight. My apologies.

whatever happened to Anna kornikova? She was my favorite tennis player just for her looks. I would have voted for Kerri Walsh/Misty May(beach volleyball), Lisa Lesley(basketball), Logan Tom(volleyball) , Dara Torrece(swimming), and Lisa Fernandez(softball).

Kristi definitely gained new fans from DWTS, but she's consistently been in these top favorite athelete polls for the last 16 years since her Olympic win.

Just last year, pre-DWTS she was listed as the top female athlete in the Q ratings (which measure likeability and popularity). Here's a link to that old article:

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...051707,00.html

LOL about Martina Hingis being called an ice skater, bet she'd be a great spinner like the other Swiss!