Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coaching changes

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar

Coaching changes

Péchelat and Bourzat from Zazoui to Zhulin!

Edited to add Translation:

The number two in French ice dancing, Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat, have decided to move to Moscow and to train under Russian Alexander Zhulin, who won the silver medal at the 1994 Olympic Winter Games in Lillehammer, to pursue their goal to medal at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.

The French, who trained until now in Lyon under Muriel Zazoui, took this decision after the French World Champions Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder announced that they'll continue their competitive career until the Games in Vancouver. Delobel/Schoenfelder are based in Lyon as well.
    By working with the coach of the reigning Olympic Ice Dancing Champions Tatiana Navka/Roman Kostomarov, Pechalat/Bourzat want to progress without "waiting their turn".

http://www.sport.fr/hiver/pat/Pechal...ou-129440.shtm

Custom Title
    LOL. Another? well, this isn't really a surprise...at Worlds it was said they weren't quite happy hith Zazoui and possibly wanting to change coaches.

Alright, who wants to change coaches next?

I say that Davis and White should, but they never will so moving on from that...
    We should have a list of all the skaters who've changed coaches lol.

Lets see...

Domnina/Shabalin
    Pechalat/Bourzat
    Belbin/Agosto
    Daisuke Takahashi
    Kimmie Meissner (although hers was during the season)
    Stephane Lambiel
    Fumie Suguri

That's all I can remember.

Custom Title
    I think Ashley Wagner also changed coaches....

ETA - and I guess Oda also changed coaches
    Last edited by emma; 07-13-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Custom Title
    Kevin Ven der Perren and Volosozhar-Morozov changed coaches.

Custom Title
    Angela Maxwell also changed coaches to Robin Wagner.

Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    I say that Davis and White should, but they never will so moving on from that...
    We should have a list of all the skaters who've changed coaches lol.

Lets see...

Domnina/Shabalin
    Pechalat/Bourzat
    Belbin/Agosto
    Daisuke Takahashi
    Kimmie Meissner (although hers was during the season)
    Stephane Lambiel
    Fumie Suguri

That's all I can remember.
    It has been rumored that Gregory & Petukhov have left Priscilla Hill, and someone had said that they maybe went to Platov, but I don't think that there has been any confirmation. It seems no one has really seen them anywhere, though I think they were supposed to teach a clinic or something in Lake Placid recently, did anyone go?

Custom Title
    It is my understanding that Denis & Melissa have been spending significant time in Conn. and have not been in Delaware as had been expected. Not sure what that means for coaching purposes though. JW

At this point, looks like we're going to have an easier time making a list of skaters/teams that DIDN'T change coaches...

Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    Péchelat and Bourzat from Zazoui to Zhulin!
    Wow, I am surprised at this! I guess they are tired of being a "second" team, always behind Delobel & Schoenfelder...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post
    Kevin Ven der Perren and Volosozhar-Morozov changed coaches.
    Wow! I just found that - V&M going to train with Steuer. It's weird, with Savchenko being Morozov's former partner and all... This season, not only are there more coach changes than usual, it seems they make even less sense than usual (as an example - Weir going to train with Zmievskaya makes sense; Domnina & Shabalin going to train with a coach who has just signed up Belbin and Agosto does not).
    Last edited by Ptichka; 07-13-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeIce View Post
    It has been rumored that Gregory & Petukhov have left Priscilla Hill, and someone had said that they maybe went to Platov, but I don't think that there has been any confirmation. It seems no one has really seen them anywhere, though I think they were supposed to teach a clinic or something in Lake Placid recently, did anyone go?
    Last I'd heard Denis' recovery was taking more time than they'd hoped - but that was still during last season... and I know that it's been discussed elsewhere that they've been dealing with a family member's illness (FSU had a discussion about them not too long ago and that was mentioned)...

I'm sure we'll hear something definite soon!

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    OMG! I'd never have expected that! The article says that they made the decision after Delobel & Schoenfelder had decided to stay -but still, that's very strange! Zazoui made two great programs for them last season, I thougt she was perfect for them!
    BTW I had wanted Zhulin for Belbin & Agosto

Custom Title
    Last I heard is that someone in Melissa's family was ill and Melissa and Denis were spending time with Melissa's family - as they should in cases of family emergencies.

As far as skating, I heard they left Priscilla and were either headed to New Jersey or Connecticut but unclear if they were taking coaching postions or planning to resume training as soon as Melissa could leave her family.

Custom Title
    Interesting (and yet, not so interesting in the end) how the musical chairs always involves a certain critical mass of the same coaches... over and over... and while "experience" and "track record" (along with political clout) obviously have a lot to do with it... would be great to see another generation of coaches rise to the fore for a change... For instance, how much would we truly expect to see in terms of change from any of these coaching changes that will be apparent simply by watching what happens on the ice? Probably the skaters get a fresh perspective and some renewed motivation - mostly from just the thought process and actual act of overcoming the inertia to change... but the times where coaching changes made VISIBLE differences seem relatively few. If pressed, I would point to Christopher Bowman going to Toller Cranston... now THAT was an interesting change... but I'm dating myself...

Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    ... would be great to see another generation of coaches rise to the fore for a change...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast