Coaching changes | Golden Skate

Coaching changes

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Péchelat and Bourzat from Zazoui to Zhulin!

Edited to add Translation:

The number two in French ice dancing, Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat, have decided to move to Moscow and to train under Russian Alexander Zhulin, who won the silver medal at the 1994 Olympic Winter Games in Lillehammer, to pursue their goal to medal at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.

The French, who trained until now in Lyon under Muriel Zazoui, took this decision after the French World Champions Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder announced that they'll continue their competitive career until the Games in Vancouver. Delobel/Schoenfelder are based in Lyon as well.
By working with the coach of the reigning Olympic Ice Dancing Champions Tatiana Navka/Roman Kostomarov, Pechalat/Bourzat want to progress without "waiting their turn".

http://www.sport.fr/hiver/pat/Pechalat-Bourzat-exil-Moscou-129440.shtm

KayMil01

On the Ice
LOL. Another? well, this isn't really a surprise...at Worlds it was said they weren't quite happy hith Zazoui and possibly wanting to change coaches.

Alright, who wants to change coaches next?:laugh:

lmarie086

Medalist
I say that Davis and White should, but they never will so moving on from that...
We should have a list of all the skaters who've changed coaches lol.

Lets see...

Domnina/Shabalin
Pechalat/Bourzat
Belbin/Agosto
Daisuke Takahashi
Kimmie Meissner (although hers was during the season)
Stephane Lambiel
Fumie Suguri

That's all I can remember.

emma

Record Breaker
I think Ashley Wagner also changed coaches....

ETA - and I guess Oda also changed coaches

Last edited:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I say that Davis and White should, but they never will so moving on from that...
We should have a list of all the skaters who've changed coaches lol.

Lets see...

Domnina/Shabalin
Pechalat/Bourzat
Belbin/Agosto
Daisuke Takahashi
Kimmie Meissner (although hers was during the season)
Stephane Lambiel
Fumie Suguri

That's all I can remember.

It has been rumored that Gregory & Petukhov have left Priscilla Hill, and someone had said that they maybe went to Platov, but I don't think that there has been any confirmation. It seems no one has really seen them anywhere, though I think they were supposed to teach a clinic or something in Lake Placid recently, did anyone go?

just wondering

On the Ice
It is my understanding that Denis & Melissa have been spending significant time in Conn. and have not been in Delaware as had been expected. Not sure what that means for coaching purposes though. JW

beep_beep

Medalist
At this point, looks like we're going to have an easier time making a list of skaters/teams that DIDN'T change coaches... :cool:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Péchelat and Bourzat from Zazoui to Zhulin!
Wow, I am surprised at this! I guess they are tired of being a "second" team, always behind Delobel & Schoenfelder...

Kevin Ven der Perren and Volosozhar-Morozov changed coaches.
Wow! I just found that - V&M going to train with Steuer. It's weird, with Savchenko being Morozov's former partner and all... This season, not only are there more coach changes than usual, it seems they make even less sense than usual (as an example - Weir going to train with Zmievskaya makes sense; Domnina & Shabalin going to train with a coach who has just signed up Belbin and Agosto does not).

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It has been rumored that Gregory & Petukhov have left Priscilla Hill, and someone had said that they maybe went to Platov, but I don't think that there has been any confirmation. It seems no one has really seen them anywhere, though I think they were supposed to teach a clinic or something in Lake Placid recently, did anyone go?

Last I'd heard Denis' recovery was taking more time than they'd hoped - but that was still during last season... and I know that it's been discussed elsewhere that they've been dealing with a family member's illness (FSU had a discussion about them not too long ago and that was mentioned)...

I'm sure we'll hear something definite soon!

Audrey19

On the Ice
:eek: OMG! I'd never have expected that! The article says that they made the decision after Delobel & Schoenfelder had decided to stay -but still, that's very strange! Zazoui made two great programs for them last season, I thougt she was perfect for them!
BTW I had wanted Zhulin for Belbin & Agosto :cool:

momjudi

On the Ice
Last I heard is that someone in Melissa's family was ill and Melissa and Denis were spending time with Melissa's family - as they should in cases of family emergencies.

As far as skating, I heard they left Priscilla and were either headed to New Jersey or Connecticut but unclear if they were taking coaching postions or planning to resume training as soon as Melissa could leave her family.

lcd

Match Penalty
Interesting (and yet, not so interesting in the end) how the musical chairs always involves a certain critical mass of the same coaches... over and over... and while "experience" and "track record" (along with political clout) obviously have a lot to do with it... would be great to see another generation of coaches rise to the fore for a change... For instance, how much would we truly expect to see in terms of change from any of these coaching changes that will be apparent simply by watching what happens on the ice? Probably the skaters get a fresh perspective and some renewed motivation - mostly from just the thought process and actual act of overcoming the inertia to change... but the times where coaching changes made VISIBLE differences seem relatively few. If pressed, I would point to Christopher Bowman going to Toller Cranston... now THAT was an interesting change... but I'm dating myself...

Winnipeg

Final Flight
There was a rumour that B/A were going to switch again when D and S moved to their new coach. Is that true or are they going to stick it out and train next to D and S?

ALso, didn't B and A move in the first place to get away from V and M? and nnow V and M are moving to Steuer???? a former pairs skater?

Last edited by a moderator:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
ALso, didn't B and A move in the first place to get away from V and M? and nnow V and M are moving to Steuer???? a former pairs skater?

Wrong V&M-Volosozhar and Morozov are with Steuer. One can only wonder what Savchenko's thinking having him around...
However, Tanith and Ben were apparently consulted before Dominina and Shabalin's final acceptance-I find that claim plausible enough, BTW, because Linichuk had to know she risked losing them otherwise. Also apparently they are all getting along great, which is an impossible claim to gauge, methinks. What we can be certain of is Tanith and Ben are staying put-for the moment.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
However, Tanith and Ben were apparently consulted before Dominina and Shabalin's final acceptance-I find that claim plausible enough, BTW, because Linichuk had to know she risked losing them otherwise.
The question is, did she have a choice. Or was it - train D&S, or Karponosov loses his place on the Russian skating federation council.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Angela Maxwell also changed coaches to Robin Wagner.

This is terrific news. Maxwell is a terrific athlete who needs artistry and good choreography. If Robin really takes her in hand, I believe we'll be seeing some fantastic results.