Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back To Work I Go! | Golden Skate

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back To Work I Go!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Summer break is officially over for me.....This Monday I start back to work and get to meet a new crop of Second Graders. When I first started teaching, I was only old enough to be their "Big Sister". Now I am old enough to be "Grandma"........42

Lucy25

Final Flight
Back to work for me, too! I get to see my middle schoolers again. I teach 6th and 8th grade language arts. I kind of like getting paid without working (I get paid through the summer)!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I had the busiest work summer of my career. Except for one day in Los Angeles and one day at the water park with my daughter, all I did this summer was WORK 24/7! I can't complain, though. Ours is such a cyclical business that I'm grateful to have been that busy.

It is, however, back to PTA business... I'm the President of my daughter's school's PTA. Now THAT is going to be interesting, especially in light of all the state-wide cutbacks in education. I have to admit to being a little nervous about that, especially since our volunteer coordinator position has been cut along with many other positions. Why, oh, why, do our kids always have to be first in line when cutbacks are meted out? When will the powers-that-be realize that the properly-educated children of today are the leaders of tomorrow?
:confused:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lucy......you teach junior high kids? You should get extra pay for that!!!
RGal...........Taking on the PTA.......my hat is off to you.......sounds like this will be right up your alley.................42

Lucy25

Final Flight
show 42 - I LOVE teaching middle school! Yes, I know, I must be a sadist or something. The kids crack me up and teach me a lot about life. I can have intelligent conversations about politics and social issues AND discuss the new Sponge Bob episodes with them! I admit some days I do not have the patience that adolescents need, but most days are great.

When i was looking for a job and subbing, I was begged to do a third grade class. Talk about a nightmare situation for me! I am secondary certified, I had NO idea what I was doing. I could not wait for that day to be over. I give elementary teacher tons of credit. That is one job I would never want! :laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Show, this will actually be my SECOND year as PTA Prez, so at least I'm familiar with the territory. The only thing that has me on edge is the cutbacks situation, but I'm hoping that things will work themselves out.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My 8th grade English teacher(he was also my history and reading teacher) was the BEST teacher... he's the one who really brought me out of my shell... he was so sarcastic and took such a different approach on teaching... he was fun but was extremely serious about our education... he worked hard, was friends with anyone, but never hesitated to send a kid out to the principal if the kid wouldn't stick with the rules LOL He was a wild and crazy guy on "goof off" days... we used to have after school fun days and he'd always volunteer for the dunk tank

I still visit Mr. Summer at the school... he's a mentor of sorts... I really appreciate what he did for me, I learned so much

so remember that when teaching 8th grade english... I got awful grades because I was a perfectionist and I was always LATE with my assignments... but I probably learned the most out of all my classmates as I still hold the highest score for any of his classes with the AWA here... *shrugs*

he's also the one who talked me into taking drama... when I win my first oscar award(hee hee! it will happen for best director!) for whatever, he will be one person I'll remember to thank

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
RGal........the PTA presidents at my school are hard workers and totally dedicated in what they do........my hat's off to all of you PTA folk........

Toni......I too had a favorite teacher. She was my seventh grade teacher and softball coach. She was down-to-earth and very dedicated. I went into teaching because of her. She had a very tragic end. Her youngest son came home from VietNam addicted to drugs, and while trying to con money from her, accidently shot and killed her, and then took his own life...........42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Show:

Wish I could say that! I just got told my "end" date for my job today - Sept. 26th. I'll be on the other side of the coin - "EI bound." All the best.

Lee

Rinkside
I go back tomorrow (Thursday) to get ready for the junior high students I will see again next Tuesday.

Am I ready to go back? Hell, no!!!! I want a couple more weeks -- but this too shall pass...;)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The College, I work at will be bustling come next Tuesday. As parking is limited, I think I will take the bus. I hate hunting for a parking spot for half an hour before work.

serenity

On the Ice
In a week I go back to work. I am with 3 years and younger. Years ago I took care of infants. I came out with a full head of hair. :laugh: