Can Nakano podium with Giselle? | Golden Skate

Can Nakano podium with Giselle?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She can, but she has got to fully rotate her triples. She far too often gets called with downgrades on some of her jumps, like the 3Axel and her toe jumps. That's what cost her a medal at Worlds last season. She has great spins and good consistency on her side. It's a matter of cleaning up some of those technical deficiencies on the jumps.

As for the Giselle music, I like it! It takes a very light, airy, whimsical, delightful skater to pull it off and with the strength of Yukari's beaming smile and joyful presentation, I think she is capable of doing a nice job with it. I could see a skater like Yu-Na doing a great job with this music too!

Wrlmy

Medalist
I love Gordeeva's Giselle! Angela's, not so much, but she won SA with Giselle:)

I think Nakano can podium, but she should become at least the second best Japanese lady first.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I would love to see Yukari on top with Mao and YuNa. Personally, I'd like those three and Joannie to battle it out, maybe one of the young US Ladies can challenge!

I think Carolina and Miki will be the ones Yukari will need to have fully rotated jumps to beat (and a ratified 3axle won't hurt!) in order to claim #3 behind YuNa and Mao.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Of course there wasn't much spark when we saw those girls (Angela, Nicole) skate to Giselle--their coaches just died!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course there wasn't much spark when we saw those girls (Angela, Nicole) skate to Giselle--their coaches just died!

Very true. As a big fan of both of them, it was heartbreaking to see them have to compete under such tragic circumstances. Nicole had actually finished 2nd in her qualifying group behind Tara Lipinski and ahead of Maria Butyrskaya at the '97 Worlds. Carlo Fassi died the very next day after qualifying, which was the day before the short program. Nicole did a fine job with Giselle at the National Championships though. She placed 2nd in the LP behind Tara Lipinski, but 3rd overall because she was 6th after the SP. Her LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0fbICdppmo

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Remember there is 2 sides to Giselle. A more Whimsical, musical version and a more dark tragic version.

Nikodinov in my opinion did a very fine version, her music cut is from Giselle death scene. Very balletic and top notch choreography, though not as highly regarded as her Sleeping Beauty FP.

Bobek had a nice program as well, but I think it was her presentation abilities that cover up some of the holes in the program.

Also, Arakawa even skated to this program back in 99 I believe, though it was quite dull (she hadn't quite become an artist yet).

I think Giselle is a fine piece of music, and by no means overly skated to, but the music requires sophistication or showmanship (whimsical parts) to pull off. Unfortunately, I think this might be a little bit to much for Nakano (though I hadvn't seen the program to judge yet, skaters do get better).

However, I do fear it'll be like Arakawa program back in the day. Decent choreography, a few arm movements and gestures here and there, but will lack depth and emotion carry the program all the way through.

For now, I'll say the program won't hurt her, but wont show case her strengths . But we shall see...( Remember Nikodinov transformation...you never know).

I really think interpreting Giselle on skates according to its story is far too difficult for skaters, except for the very few. Two very contrasting Acts and how does one get it in 4 minues? In Giselle, the characters (the men as well) are real people. Not just some sort of animals to mimic. Oh well,good luck to Yukari.

inskate

On the Ice
I think the music and style will match Yukari's skating very well. She manages to perform in a balletic style very well:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=59n4tTlNf8s&feature=related
It looked even more beautiful at Dreams on Ice, when skated in beautiful blue light (not mad yellow like here), but I can't find the video on Youtube. :(

I don't think that reproducing the story of the entire ballet is necessary (or even possible). Relating to the music and showing the mood of the story would be enough for me.

Besides, wasn't it you, Joesitz, who said that it isn't necessary to reproduce the story of a given Opera/ballet, etc. and it's more importantt to just skate to the music and interpret it..? (I think it was in a discussion about Michelle and her programs like "Tosca"...). I might be mistaken, though. :)

I

I don't think that reproducing the story of the entire ballet is necessary (or even possible). Relating to the music and showing the mood of the story would be enough for me.

Besides, wasn't it you, Joesitz, who said that it isn't necessary to reproduce the story of a given Opera/ballet, etc. and it's more importantt to just skate to the music and interpret it..? (I think it was in a discussion about Michelle and her programs like "Tosca"...). I might be mistaken, though. :)
Well, I think you are talking about the essence of the story which would mean for a skater to be a peasant girl in love with a decietful Prince who is already engaged to a Lady fo the Court' When Giselle finds out she goes into her celebrated mad scene and has a heart attack and dies right there on stage. Then as a Wilis, she dances as only a ghost can and she forgives The Prince who has been captured by the Wilis, and he realizes he loves her while the Wilis are doing their best to kill him in that graveyard.

The music follows this tragic tale. Do you think the skaters should also have all that tragedy on the ice.

Yes, I did say that skaters should not follow the stories of the operas or ballets, and the description of Giselle is my point. Maybe Virtue and Moir can handle the tragedy, but the ladies singles, take the music and do something else to it. In fact most stories relate more to duets (pas de deux) than for singles.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Relating to the music and showing the mood of the story would be enough for me.

ITA, inskate. SOmetimes skating to the music is more important. Certainly, when Maria Butyrskaya skated what was regarded as one of her best SP's (Scene D'Amour from Bilitis, performed by Sarah Brightman), she wasn't portraying the storyline of Bilitis, but interpreting the music as she felt.