Cohen Readying for Olympics? | Golden Skate

Cohen Readying for Olympics?

MKFSfan

Medalist
Interesting. I wonder how realistic that is, and how much is just PR work. So, she is staying on with SOI, as a headliner? It will be interesting if those who skate at her rink are able to share if she's getting her triples back.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
The two new items in this article are: no 2009 Worlds for Sasha and she will be touring again next season with SOI. I think the "summer training" Sasha mentions in this article will be for her to get ready for her upcoming season with SOI and not 2010. JMO

Thanks for the article.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"she said she hoped to return and compete at the 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in her hometown of Los Angeles. That appears out, as Cohen will again tour the U.S. with Stars on Ice, but as the saying goes, 'I'm still keeping my options open.'"

This whole spill from Cohen and the media is really the broken record of the past 2 seasons and tells me she is not serious about a competitive comeback. To be realistic, without competing in the 2008-2009 season and at the 2009 Worlds, she may as well prepare herself not to make the Olympic team if she does attempt a comeback. I really think she is deluded if she expects to come in only for the Olympic season and pose herself as a threat to the world when her last ISU competition was 2006 Worlds, where her performance was very lackluster. She has to build herself and her reputation up again and only doing so during the Olympic season is not going to give her the time and renewed competitive drive she is going to need to make any kind of successful comeback.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Can she skate for Ukraine?:p
I don't care how or when. I just want to see her back, that is if she wants to.

lcd

Match Penalty
While I have no doubt that such a prospect is "possible" - It's hard to avoid thinking a bit cynically about the "timing" of this release. As a "competitor" one would think there would be an advantage to not "signalling" ones plans so early in the season. With Liberty going on this week, such an announcement has the potential to put her name back in the "buzz" and on the lips of the chattering US skating community as the season "kicks off"... plus... with the Summer games just around the corner, and the media loving the whole Dara Torres come-back story (a genuine story line IMO), one could construe a bit of coat-tail riding there as well.....

That said, I would LOVE to see it happen. Bring it on! Show what it is that experience, maturity and the intangible benefits of performing for audiences can do when brought back to the CoP take no prisoners, win/lose by hundredths of a point (not ordinal placements) can do. So here's to hoping it happens...

lmarie086

Medalist
:rolleye:Don't we hear this every few months or so? It's a broken record, and I have no real expectations.
Yes she could train to come back, but that doesn't guarantee her a spot on the Olympic team; it's a bit presumptuous of her (that is how I'm seeing it). With Flatt, Zhang, Nagasu, Meissner, Wagner...the list goes on. She'd be hard pressed to get a spot.

"I would really love to come back to one more Olympics," she adds. "The whole magnitude of it is amazing. I love the sense of purpose and challenge.

Forgive me, but wasn't she the one who in 2006 said it was time for Michelle Kwan to move on, that she'd had her chance? I realize it was a bit different (given that Kwan petitioned for a spot) but still. I think that applies here too.
If Sasha is enjoying herself with SOI, I think that's where she should be.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
this is really nothing new. all the article did was take clips from her journal and hint that she might be training for somthing other than SOI.

discoduck

On the Ice
I agree that it's PR. I don't see her coming back and it sounds as if her training is for shows.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here is what I said in response to this article on SF (it should apply here, too):

Looks like she's realizing it would be better to stick to where her talent lies: skating.

This so-called "really tough training" could just mean stepping it up a notch. It absolutely does not mean she's training at the same level of intensity as today's competitors. She said herself that she didn't train much last summer, so seems like she just wants to be in better shape for this tour. And judging by reviews of last year's tour, it's definitely something she needs to do.

This means her fans can still see her in shows and on tour on SOI, which is a good thing. She's not going to stop skating for the near future.

vlaurend

Final Flight
The two new items in this article are: no 2009 Worlds for Sasha and she will be touring again next season with SOI. I think the "summer training" Sasha mentions in this article will be for her to get ready for her upcoming season with SOI and not 2010.

That's how I read it as well. I don't think there's any false advertising going on as far as the likelihood of her actually competing at the 2010 Olympics. I think before even considering a 2010 comeback, she's just going to get serious about the skating again and see (a) whether her body can still handle a competitive training regimen and (b) whether the triple jumps come back. That doesn't require that she firmly close the door to the possibility, if things go better than expected.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
She never explicitly says she is training for the Olympics. All she is says is that she is 1. training and 2. would love to be able to go to another Olympics, not that she is training for the Olympics. Her training could just be to get in shape to do well in her SOI and other performances, and who wouldn't love to be able to compete in the Olympics? She never said matter-of-fact that she was going to.

Fossi

Final Flight
:rolleye:Don't we hear this every few months or so? It's a broken record, and I have no real expectations.
Yes she could train to come back, but that doesn't guarantee her a spot on the Olympic team; it's a bit presumptuous of her (that is how I'm seeing it). With Flatt, Zhang, Nagasu, Meissner, Wagner...the list goes on. She'd be hard pressed to get a spot.

Forgive me, but wasn't she the one who in 2006 said it was time for Michelle Kwan to move on, that she'd had her chance? I realize it was a bit different (given that Kwan petitioned for a spot) but still. I think that applies here too.
If Sasha is enjoying herself with SOI, I think that's where she should be.

Wow. Sasha has said some things that have come back to bite her....

camion

On the Ice
No, so many ppl ragging on Sasha!lol
I'm not sure of the validity of the statements she made about Michelle, but even if she did make those comments I would totally support her in vying for another Olympic berth. I think most of us @ 1 pt. or another have said something hippocrytical or changed opinions on things as time passed, so if she's made that choice (whatever that may be,since the quote is pretty amiguous [crosses fingers]) then I say go for it!
I do agree w/a lot of you though that it would be tough for her to even make the team with the new code, her jump inconsistencies, how late it is in the Olympic cycle & all that momentum coming from the newcomers. But I never want to count her out for sentimental reasons probably- I mean her artistry & elegance captivates me whether or not that equates to being able to get on a podium.

lmarie086

Medalist
I'm not sure of the validity of the statements she made about Michelle, but even if she did make those comments I would totally support her in vying for another Olympic berth. I think most of us @ 1 pt. or another have said something hippocrytical or changed opinions on things as time passed, so if she's made that choice (whatever that may be,since the quote is pretty amiguous [crosses fingers]) then I say go for it!

There have been other threads about Sasha's supposed comeback and I went back through my posting history to find it. It has a link to an article that appears to have been taken down, but Sasha has well...stuck her foot in her mouth a few times. That's the only way I can describe it lol. And I'm not trying to attack her, but she needs to be more mindful of what she says.

Last edited:
IIRC what Sasha said (quite a bit before 2006) was something to the effect that, "when I was younger and immature I thought, why doesn't Michelle move on and give us our chance to shine?" The implication being that with maturity she got past that way of thinking.

In 2006 I am pretty sure she answered all questions about Michelle with, I am just concentrating on my own skating.

In fact, she was criticised on the skating boards for taking that attitude in her famous interview with Katy Curric. Curric tried to draw Sasha into the controversy, or at least to say that she sympathized with Michelle's injury. Sasha did not rise to the bait, saying only that her focus was on her own programs.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing both Sasha and Michelle in Vancouver. :biggrin: