Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cohen Readying for Olympics?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Don't we hear this every few months or so? It's a broken record, and I have no real expectations.
    Yes she could train to come back, but that doesn't guarantee her a spot on the Olympic team; it's a bit presumptuous of her (that is how I'm seeing it). With Flatt, Zhang, Nagasu, Meissner, Wagner...the list goes on. She'd be hard pressed to get a spot.

Forgive me, but wasn't she the one who in 2006 said it was time for Michelle Kwan to move on, that she'd had her chance? I realize it was a bit different (given that Kwan petitioned for a spot) but still. I think that applies here too.
    If Sasha is enjoying herself with SOI, I think that's where she should be.
    Wow. Sasha has said some things that have come back to bite her....

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi View Post
    Wow. Sasha has said some things that have come back to bite her....
    ...and that's a new phenomenon? :chorus:

Custom Title
    No, so many ppl ragging on Sasha!lol
    I'm not sure of the validity of the statements she made about Michelle, but even if she did make those comments I would totally support her in vying for another Olympic berth. I think most of us @ 1 pt. or another have said something hippocrytical or changed opinions on things as time passed, so if she's made that choice (whatever that may be,since the quote is pretty amiguous [crosses fingers]) then I say go for it!
    I do agree w/a lot of you though that it would be tough for her to even make the team with the new code, her jump inconsistencies, how late it is in the Olympic cycle & all that momentum coming from the newcomers. But I never want to count her out for sentimental reasons probably- I mean her artistry & elegance captivates me whether or not that equates to being able to get on a podium.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I'm not sure of the validity of the statements she made about Michelle, but even if she did make those comments I would totally support her in vying for another Olympic berth. I think most of us @ 1 pt. or another have said something hippocrytical or changed opinions on things as time passed, so if she's made that choice (whatever that may be,since the quote is pretty amiguous [crosses fingers]) then I say go for it!
    There have been other threads about Sasha's supposed comeback and I went back through my posting history to find it. It has a link to an article that appears to have been taken down, but Sasha has well...stuck her foot in her mouth a few times. That's the only way I can describe it lol. And I'm not trying to attack her, but she needs to be more mindful of what she says.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 07-17-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: to fix the quote

IIRC what Sasha said (quite a bit before 2006) was something to the effect that, "when I was younger and immature I thought, why doesn't Michelle move on and give us our chance to shine?" The implication being that with maturity she got past that way of thinking.

In 2006 I am pretty sure she answered all questions about Michelle with, I am just concentrating on my own skating.

In fact, she was criticised on the skating boards for taking that attitude in her famous interview with Katy Curric. Curric tried to draw Sasha into the controversy, or at least to say that she sympathized with Michelle's injury. Sasha did not rise to the bait, saying only that her focus was on her own programs.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing both Sasha and Michelle in Vancouver.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    In fact, she was criticised on the skating boards for taking that attitude in her famous interview with Katy Curric. Curric tried to draw Sasha into the controversy, or at least to say that she sympathized with Michelle's injury. Sasha did not rise to the bait, saying only that her focus was on her own programs.
    If I remember correctly it was about a 25 page thread that went on and on and on and on and on about what a scumbag Sasha was for not sympatizing with Michelle. Most of the posts were from a poster here who sees Sasha's name and rises to the occasion and it is so boring right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I bet you do!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Imarie086
    And I'm not trying to attack her, but she needs to be more mindful of what she says.
    Don't we all!!!!

Dee

Custom Title
    Imarie086, I know you weren't attacking Sasha. I was just kidding aroung about how her statements sort of irrititated a lot of ppl. She probably should be more aware of what she says so she'll be more consistent & since she's in the public eye whatever she claims can come back to haunt her. However, I always prefer athletes who speak their mind versus those giving answers because it's safe or polite. Anyways, it would definitely be interesting if Michelle, Irina, etc. came back to competitve skating to see how they fare in the new system & bring back a sense of "womanliness" back into the sport because (I think) Johnny Weir said that ladies' figure skating has become primarily a girls' sport & I tend to agree.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    IIRC what Sasha said (quite a bit before 2006) was something to the effect that, "when I was younger and immature I thought, why doesn't Michelle move on and give us our chance to shine?" The implication being that with maturity she got past that way of thinking.

In 2006 I am pretty sure she answered all questions about Michelle with, I am just concentrating on my own skating.

Well that statement is realistic. Here was Sasha who, no matter how good as she was, never beat Michelle who has already won numerous national and world titles before Sasha even stepped on the senior circuit. Sasha is a very competitive person, and realistically Michelle was the only thing standing between her and the national championship. Sasha finally got that title in 2006 when Michelle was forced to withdraw.

yeah, it would be amazing to see them in vancover, but not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Imarie086, I know you weren't attacking Sasha. I was just kidding aroung about how her statements sort of irrititated a lot of ppl. She probably should be more aware of what she says so she'll be more consistent & since she's in the public eye whatever she claims can come back to haunt her. However, I always prefer athletes who speak their mind versus those giving answers because it's safe or polite.
    I guess my post was a wee bit defensive lol. I have to confess, as a big Kwan fan those comments really had irritated me, but at the same time I do appreciate that Sasha isn't afraid to say what's on her mind; it's refreshing.

Anyways, it would definitely be interesting if Michelle, Irina, etc. came back to competitve skating to see how they fare in the new system & bring back a sense of "womanliness" back into the sport because (I think) Johnny Weir said that ladies' figure skating has become primarily a girls' sport & I tend to agree.
    That's one of the reasons I really like Sarah Meier's skating! Her SP this past season in particular was definitely a favorite. Joannie Rochette is another skater I really enjoy these days. Not to say I don't like the teens in the sport, but they'll branch out more as they get older.
    But as it really has become more of a girls' sport, I find myself more interested in dance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Well that statement is realistic. Here was Sasha who, no matter how good as she was, never beat Michelle who has already won numerous national and world titles before Sasha even stepped on the senior circuit.
    At least in 2004 & 2005 Worlds Cohen did beat Kwan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    At least in 2004 & 2005 Worlds Cohen did beat Kwan.
    Sasha finished higher than Michelle, but I doubt that this meant much to her since she didn't win. Actually, Sasha's big breakthrough was at the 2003 Campbell's Classic in New York. This was the first time Sasha beat Michelle, and it was a big milestone for her.

The previous season, after switching to Tarasova and setting the Grand Prix circuit on fire, Sasha's season ended on a low note. She finished third behind Michelle and Sarah Hughes (whom everyone thought was washed up) at U.S. Nationals, then fourth behind Michelle, Elene Sokolova and Fumie Suguri at Worlds. So Sasha's confidence really benefitted from that shot in the arm in the next season's opening Campbell's event.

(I love cheesefests -- they are the most interesting and exciting competitions! I can hardly wait for next year's Worlds to be out of the way so we can concentrate on the ISU team championship the following month. )

Custom Title
    I think the pre-2006 Olympic comments people are talking about are the ones where Sasha was asked what she thought of Michelle petitioning to the team. And I believe her responses were more along the lines that while Michelle is one of the top skaters, she believes spots should be earned. Even during the Olympics when many skaters were sympathizing Michelle, Sasha came off rather cold. Whether she just wanted to focus on herself or was really anti-MK, no idea. But I remembering interpreting her answers as not so friendly.

^ Well, I can understand if Sasha felt a little put out that the big story out of Torino was Michelle not skating instead of Sasha skating. Maybe she felt like, what am I, chopped liver?

Anyway, Sasha missed a good PR op. She could have come off as the gallant soldier who, shaking off her tears, seizes the flag from the hand of her fallen comrad-in-arms and rushes forward into battle in her stead.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    Can she skate for Ukraine?
    I don't care how or when. I just want to see her back, that is if she wants to.
    or Azerbaijan??

Custom Title
    Didn't Michelle beat Sasha at Worlds '04? Or was it that she beat Sasha in the LP?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast