Cohen Readying for Olympics? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cohen Readying for Olympics?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In fact, she was criticised on the skating boards for taking that attitude in her famous interview with Katy Curric. Curric tried to draw Sasha into the controversy, or at least to say that she sympathized with Michelle's injury. Sasha did not rise to the bait, saying only that her focus was on her own programs.
If I remember correctly it was about a 25 page thread that went on and on and on and on and on about what a scumbag Sasha was for not sympatizing with Michelle. Most of the posts were from a poster here who sees Sasha's name and rises to the occasion and it is so boring right now.
Mathman said:
Anyway, I look forward to seeing both Sasha and Michelle in Vancouver. :biggrin:
I bet you do!!!!!!!
Imarie086 said:
And I'm not trying to attack her, but she needs to be more mindful of what she says.
Don't we all!!!!

Dee

camion

On the Ice
Imarie086, I know you weren't attacking Sasha. I was just kidding aroung about how her statements sort of irrititated a lot of ppl. She probably should be more aware of what she says so she'll be more consistent & since she's in the public eye whatever she claims can come back to haunt her. However, I always prefer athletes who speak their mind versus those giving answers because it's safe or polite. Anyways, it would definitely be interesting if Michelle, Irina, etc. came back to competitve skating to see how they fare in the new system & bring back a sense of "womanliness" back into the sport because (I think) Johnny Weir said that ladies' figure skating has become primarily a girls' sport & I tend to agree.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
IIRC what Sasha said (quite a bit before 2006) was something to the effect that, "when I was younger and immature I thought, why doesn't Michelle move on and give us our chance to shine?" The implication being that with maturity she got past that way of thinking.

In 2006 I am pretty sure she answered all questions about Michelle with, I am just concentrating on my own skating.

In fact, she was criticised on the skating boards for taking that attitude in her famous interview with Katy Curric. Curric tried to draw Sasha into the controversy, or at least to say that she sympathized with Michelle's injury. Sasha did not rise to the bait, saying only that her focus was on her own programs.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing both Sasha and Michelle in Vancouver. :biggrin:

Well that statement is realistic. Here was Sasha who, no matter how good as she was, never beat Michelle who has already won numerous national and world titles before Sasha even stepped on the senior circuit. Sasha is a very competitive person, and realistically Michelle was the only thing standing between her and the national championship. Sasha finally got that title in 2006 when Michelle was forced to withdraw.

yeah, it would be amazing to see them in vancover, but not going to happen.

lmarie086

Medalist
Imarie086, I know you weren't attacking Sasha. I was just kidding aroung about how her statements sort of irrititated a lot of ppl. She probably should be more aware of what she says so she'll be more consistent & since she's in the public eye whatever she claims can come back to haunt her. However, I always prefer athletes who speak their mind versus those giving answers because it's safe or polite.

I guess my post was a wee bit defensive lol. I have to confess, as a big Kwan fan those comments really had irritated me, but at the same time I do appreciate that Sasha isn't afraid to say what's on her mind; it's refreshing.

Anyways, it would definitely be interesting if Michelle, Irina, etc. came back to competitve skating to see how they fare in the new system & bring back a sense of "womanliness" back into the sport because (I think) Johnny Weir said that ladies' figure skating has become primarily a girls' sport & I tend to agree.

That's one of the reasons I really like Sarah Meier's skating! Her SP this past season in particular was definitely a favorite. Joannie Rochette is another skater I really enjoy these days. Not to say I don't like the teens in the sport, but they'll branch out more as they get older.
But as it really has become more of a girls' sport, I find myself more interested in dance.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well that statement is realistic. Here was Sasha who, no matter how good as she was, never beat Michelle who has already won numerous national and world titles before Sasha even stepped on the senior circuit.

At least in 2004 & 2005 Worlds Cohen did beat Kwan.

At least in 2004 & 2005 Worlds Cohen did beat Kwan.
Sasha finished higher than Michelle, but I doubt that this meant much to her since she didn't win. Actually, Sasha's big breakthrough was at the 2003 Campbell's Classic in New York. This was the first time Sasha beat Michelle, and it was a big milestone for her.

The previous season, after switching to Tarasova and setting the Grand Prix circuit on fire, Sasha's season ended on a low note. She finished third behind Michelle and Sarah Hughes (whom everyone thought was washed up) at U.S. Nationals, then fourth behind Michelle, Elene Sokolova and Fumie Suguri at Worlds. So Sasha's confidence really benefitted from that shot in the arm in the next season's opening Campbell's event.

(I love cheesefests -- they are the most interesting and exciting competitions! :rock: I can hardly wait for next year's Worlds to be out of the way so we can concentrate on the ISU team championship the following month. ;) )

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think the pre-2006 Olympic comments people are talking about are the ones where Sasha was asked what she thought of Michelle petitioning to the team. And I believe her responses were more along the lines that while Michelle is one of the top skaters, she believes spots should be earned. Even during the Olympics when many skaters were sympathizing Michelle, Sasha came off rather cold. Whether she just wanted to focus on herself or was really anti-MK, no idea. But I remembering interpreting her answers as not so friendly.

^ Well, I can understand if Sasha felt a little put out that the big story out of Torino was Michelle not skating instead of Sasha skating. Maybe she felt like, what am I, chopped liver?

Anyway, Sasha missed a good PR op. She could have come off as the gallant soldier who, shaking off her tears, seizes the flag from the hand of her fallen comrad-in-arms and rushes forward into battle in her stead. :laugh:

Fossi

Final Flight
Didn't Michelle beat Sasha at Worlds '04? Or was it that she beat Sasha in the LP?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, more power to her. They all seem to want to try "one more Olympics" It's an interesting phenonemon. I don't know what it is about the Olympics. Sasha has not competed for a couple of years, so will have to really train. I hope she makes it. I would love to see her there.

It will be interesting to see which skaters are on the Olympic come back trail at the 2010 Games.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I doubt Sasha will come back for the Olympics. I think everyone is reading too much into the article. I said it before and I'll say it again, she says two separate things.

1. She is dedicating the summer to practicing
2. She would love to be in another Olympics

She never says "She is dedicating the summer (or any other time) to practicing FOR the Olympics." There is a big difference.

She says she would love to be in another Olympics (who wouldn't love to compete in the Olympics three times?), but never says she is going to.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m glad that Cohen is training hard this summer, as she is a great asset for SOI and one needs to put hard work for one´s career (applies to every cast member and guest skater there) and not to rest on the laurels, so to speak.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Didn't Michelle beat Sasha at Worlds '04? Or was it that she beat Sasha in the LP?

She did beat Sasha in the LP. Sahsa won the SP. Shiz won the LP. Michelle came in 4th in the SP and second in the LP.

^ Actually, all things considered, it was amazing that Michelle was able to overcome so much adversity at the event and earn a bronze medal ahead of Miki Ando.

First, Michelle had a bad outing in the qualifying round, falling and finishing 3rd behind Shizuka Arakawa and Ando. Slutskaya, Kostner, Volchkova and Suguri were also in that qualifying group, and none of them did well. They had the early morning ice time, and there were a lot of remarks made about the condition of the ice.

Sasha won her qualifying group, beating Sokolova, Sebestyen and Liashenko.

In the short, Michelle ended up fourth after being hit with a time violation which reduced both her technical and presentation scores by a mandatory full point.

Then in the long, Michelle had to re-compose herself after the streaker incident. She gave a fine performance to Tosca and finished second in the free to Arakawa's brilliancy.

Plus, as we now know, Michelle's hip situation was, by that time, far advanced and hampering her training and performance.

To Michelle's credit, she never complained or made excuses. "I skated. I got the bronze medal." :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
They all seem to want to try "one more Olympics" It's an interesting phenonemon. I don't know what it is about the Olympics.

Personally I think it would be better for her if she wanted to try "one more worlds" she might have a better shot. She should have pick this season for her return... with worlds right in LA. The olympics is still a long time away if she wants to keep healthy and keep her jumps.

you don't know what it is about the olympics? It is about the highest honor you could ask for as an athlete. and it is only once every four years.

As much as I like Sasha and Michelle, I can not see either one topping scores of Mao and YuNa if they could get into the Olys because the American Nats also has some high point getters. Spirals won't do it any more and PCS points are much less that Tech.

Over and Out

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
As much as I like Sasha and Michelle, I can not see either one topping scores of Mao and YuNa if they could get into the Olys because the American Nats also has some high point getters. Spirals won't do it any more and PCS points are much less that Tech.

Over and Out

right. I see the top 5 at the olympics at least trying 3/3 combos in at least on program. the medalists will probably have landed them in both programs. Sasha or Michelle would be very lucky to medal, never mind win. Sadly, their era is over.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice

Over and Out

And even speaking of spirals, I think there are some skaters now that have better spirals than Sasha. Mao has Sasha's extention on her spiral, but still keeps her carriage high, while Sasha let her chest dip more towards the ground. And Sasha's other trademark, her beautiful layback, is being bested by Caroline Zhang now in my opinion. If Sasha doesn't have a solid 3-3 for her SP and LP, I can't even see her making the top 6 at the Olympics unless there is another disaster like the last time in which everyone fell, and Shizuka claimed Gold with a fairly easy technical performance but beautiful skate nonetheless.