Cohen Readying for Olympics? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cohen Readying for Olympics?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not to mention that should she try those harder jumps, she could hurt herself once again. Not worth it IMO but of course it's her choice and her body.

skates

Rinkside
right. I see the top 5 at the olympics at least trying 3/3 combos in at least on program. the medalists will probably have landed them in both programs. Sasha or Michelle would be very lucky to medal, never mind win. Sadly, their era is over.

Wasn't that what was being said for turino? Look at what happened. The champion had a FIVE triple program, not seven.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Wasn't that what was being said for turino? Look at what happened. The champion had a FIVE triple program, not seven.

That's right. You never know what will happen at the Olympics usually all
predictions and suppositions on the part of us fans and the media goes out the window.

Love Sasha and Michelle but IMO we will not see either of them competing in 2010.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally I think it would be better for her if she wanted to try "one more worlds" she might have a better shot. She should have pick this season for her return... with worlds right in LA. The olympics is still a long time away if she wants to keep healthy and keep her jumps.

2009 Nationals would be a stiff challenge for Sasha in her current condition. Even though she doesn't have to go through Regionals and Sectionals, coming into Nationals with no preparatory competitions---especially after not competing at all for almost 3 years--is a tall order. CoP has gone through major overhauls over the past 3 years, and some of them (the flutz penalty and the removal of a spin in the FS) would cause Sasha to lose valuable points.

Sasha has no 3/3s, and she hasn't ever managed to execute a clean FS at US Nationals, and she would need both to beat Flatt, Nagasu and Zhang. And of course there are only two spots for US ladies at 2009 Worlds. There is no guarantee that even with a big PCS boost, Sasha would be able to beat 3 of the 4 current top US ladies. And let's not forget Kimmie, who possibly could make a major comeback.

Fossi

Final Flight
true. And we know that when Kimmie has her "A game" she will beat Sasha- she already has. And Mao has already beaten Sasha too- at a time when you think the judges wouldn't let her because of Sasha's reputation. Sasha better get training.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Chuck also forgot Wagner who appears to be on the hunt and hungry as one Sasha has to beat.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice

That's right. You never know what will happen at the Olympics usually all
predictions and suppositions on the part of us fans and the media goes out the window.

But injuries can happen in practice. Yes, Shizuka won with a 5 triple program at Torin, but if you watched her practice sessions, she was practicing a 3-3-3. A skater shouldn't base whether or not they want to compete at the Olympics on the idea that "ice is slippery, and if everyone falls, I could slide in to take a medal." That kind of thinking is ridiculous. And think of the two gold medalists before Torin (Tara and Sarah), they both brought their A games and won, but is Sasha's A game even good enough to beat a faulty Mao or Yu-na right now? I don't think so.

^^^

Although many posters do not believe the skating order plays a role in strategy, I do! When Shizuka skated, I'm sure her coach told her, to skate clean and do not do anything unless you ae absolutely sure of yourself.
(Just an opinion,but it does have rationale.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chuck also forgot Wagner who appears to be on the hunt and hungry as one Sasha has to beat.

I didn't forget her----I said Sasha had to beat 3 of the current top 4 US ladies plus Kimmie Meissner. The current top 4 US ladies are Nagasu, Flatt, Wagner and Zhang.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe a 5-triple program was good enough at Torino, but not against the current bunch of top ladies. At Worlds, Mao and Joannie landed 6 and Kostner landed 7. At JW, Flatt landed 7 and Nagasu landed 6.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
But injuries can happen in practice. Yes, Shizuka won with a 5 triple program at Torin, but if you watched her practice sessions, she was practicing a 3-3-3. A skater shouldn't base whether or not they want to compete at the Olympics on the idea that "ice is slippery, and if everyone falls, I could slide in to take a medal." That kind of thinking is ridiculous. And think of the two gold medalists before Torin (Tara and Sarah), they both brought their A games and won, but is Sasha's A game even good enough to beat a faulty Mao or Yu-na right now? I don't think so.

I did not say anything to the contrary. I am aware of what Shiz was capable of technically, but the fact is she won with a five triple program. Being capable and executing that capability when it counts is what competition is all about not specualtion. It is my opinion that Sasha will not compete in 2010 so it does not matter to me whether her A game is good enough.

Last edited:

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Maybe a 5-triple program was good enough at Torino, but not against the current bunch of top ladies.  At Worlds, Mao and Joannie landed 6 and Kostner landed 7.  At JW, Flatt landed 7 and Nagasu landed 6.
Torino was really a low mark for recent ladies' Olympic jump content.  1998 witnessed a 7-jump LP by both Michelle and Tara.  Same with Sarah at 2002 O's with Sarah breaking further technical ground with two 3/3 combos in her 7-jump performance!  Seven-triple Olympic programs may become a thing of the past considering  all of the busy-ness filling other non-jump technical requirements.   Milking all those points under CoP makes it extremely difficult to accomplish seven triples, succsessfully.

P.S. Kostner may have been credited with 7 triples at 2008 World's FP, but her execution and landings were so wonky that many purists would argue that it's a stretch to refer to it as a successful, 7-triple program.

Last edited: