Mao's newest gallery: sing, sing, sing! | Golden Skate

Mao's newest gallery: sing, sing, sing!

carolinefan177

On the Ice
^
OMG.
It was so good...
sad day.
Hopefully, someone posts another clip; I liked it more than the tango!
On another note, why would Mao have a second gala? Do skaters typically have two galas?

inskate

On the Ice
I love the program! :love: Very fun and entertaining, and challenging at the same time. :rock: I loved the new combo spin, especially Button Camel and new improved low sit spin. The tricks with the hat were great as well. :lol:

On another note, why would Mao have a second gala? Do skaters typically have two galas?

Mao has 3 Galas, actually - the third one, "Dream girls", is a pair program for her and Mai and was choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto. She will also have a mini pair program choreographed with Jeff Buttle (music TBA).
Mao's aim is to skate program that will be enjoyable for the audience. Her motto for this year is "Change!", and each of her 5 new programs is different in style.
It's rather rare for skaters to have more than one EX choreographed, I guess (unless they feel uncomfortable with a program and want to change it). However, some skaters skate their SP's or return to older programs in order to keep the audience amused. I remember that in 2006/07 season Nobunari used 6 different programs in his exhibitions.

Hopefully, someone posts another clip; I liked it more than the tango!

The video has been set to private. If you ask the poster (akiko7nana) or an admin on the Mao forum (z4mboni @ http://maoasada.logu2.com) they might be willing to share the videos privately. :)
Plus, the entire show will be broadcasted on 28th July. Surely someone will upload the full performances in much better quality then :)

Cute but childish..

If entertaining = childlish, I guess skaters like Scott Hamilton, Kurt Browning, Alexei Yagudin, Fumie Suguri or Midori Ito must be wearing diapers all the time... :sheesh:

gourry

Final Flight
I love the program! :love: Very fun and entertaining, and challenging at the same time. :rock: I loved the new combo spin, especially Button Camel and new improved low sit spin.

I see only upright spin in that clip...
It looks cute but I kinda prefer her tango number and I feel like Suguri would have done it better but I'll wait until I see the whole program.

jaejang2001

Match Penalty
This is whole cam. version :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNtxahPDPBA

The childish means Mao's performance didnt macth the music.

But she is cute though.

I think except triple excel she is childish with jump problem.

-- toe waltz , pre-rotation, under rotation, two foot landing, and flutz

Shi is overated.

Last edited:

inskate

On the Ice
I see only upright spin in that clip...

I have watched the whole program. Her first spin is camel - Button camel - CF -low sit spin - CF - illusion spin, with changes and illusion spin made right on the beat of the music.

While "Sing..." might suit Fumie, I don't think the choreography would fit her (and it's superb, so it would be a shame to give it up). I think that the program stripped of tricky footwork, tricks like playing with a hat while doing a fast twizzle and flexible spirals fitting the music would loose a lot of its charm.

I think this program will become even better with time - before the show Mao said that she was actually afraid that she will miss something, because it's the first time she attempted such choreo. And in an interview after the show when asked about her goals, she replied that her first goal is to fully master her programs.

Personally, even before I saw the better quality clip, I thought this program is a perfect fit for Mao (just like Vienesse Waltz is perfect for Fumie). The audience reaction (more clearly heard in the poor quality homevid) spoke volumes. :clap:
Besides, I missed Mao's playful programs. :)

inskate

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNtxahPDPBA

The childish means Mao's performance didnt macth the music.

In fact, "childish" means:
a: marked by or suggestive of immaturity and lack of poise
b: lacking complexity : simple
c: deteriorated with age especially in mind : senile

Neither of those relates to this program. :)

And I wouldn't be surprised if the skating didn't match the music perfectly. I spoke with Akiko (thanks to her I've watched the video) and she said that the music and video were recorded by someone else, and she attempted to match them together. (Music was recorded by Yuji and can be listened to here: http://asagao2.sakura.ne.jp/MENB/YUJI/SXCCyujiG01.html, and video was available on Mao forum but has been taken down).
She had a lot of problems with making the music fit the video, because the video had a variable bitrate and after importing in Premiere turned out to be shorter than audio. So she tried to manually fix the problem, but the result was far from perfect. :(

Actually I wonder who put this online without permission. Akiko didn't want to stream her video (just share with a few friends to give them an idea how the program will look like), it was online for a few minutes only because she made a mistake with permissions. :sheesh:

gourry

Final Flight
Now I watched the whole program. And it is hard to tell which program I prefer. Tango? or this? :)
It's very playful and she looks like 17. There are some choreos that I like(like the tap dance like beginning of her step) and also some choreos that I don't really like(hiding behind the hat kind of stuff). Anyway, interesting.

I have watched the whole program. Her first spin is camel - Button camel - CF -low sit spin - CF - illusion spin, with changes and illusion spin made right on the beat of the music.

Button camel is flying camel. Mao didn't do flying camel here. What Mao did is similar to a variation of camel which Yuna usually do. I can see uncle Dick's commentation on Yuna's world LP works in interesting way.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow! I have to say that was REALLY good. I knew Tatianna would be excellent for Mao. she really challenged herself choreographically there and it worked out. I loved the use of the prop... I can't believe that she pulled it off that well her first time. Great dress, great footwork, this is a really good exhibition.

As good as the tango is, i do think it would work better as an SP for next year. I am thinking maybe that is what happened. it was her first choice for as SP, but decided against it for this year.

inskate

On the Ice
"childish" means " like a girl at the literary exhibition"

Hm, "literary"..?

1 a: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of humane learning or literature; b: bookish; c: of or relating to books
2 a: well-read; b: of or relating to authors or scholars or to their professions

My, I didn't know Mao was such a scholar! If you think she is so well educated, that means her performance was truly amazing! I did some research as well, and I think Lori did great job with the choreography, inspired by the jazz Broadway musicals. Some moves and their timing were just like in the dance shows. I completely agree with you. :yes:

(...) I can see uncle Dick's commentation on Yuna's world LP works in interesting way (...)

Ha ha, maybe. I've seen the upside down bent leg camel called "Button camel" quite a few times. I don't remember when I've seen it the first time, though. It's possible that somebody borrowed the term from Uncle Dick and it stuck, which would not surprise me considering that the other name for this spin I heard was "broken camel", and it's just plain animal cruelty. :lol:

gourry

Final Flight
the other name for this spin I heard was "broken camel", and it's just plain animal cruelty. :lol:

I've never heard of it before but that is really funny:rofl: Yes, indeed it looks a bit like broken camel especially the leg part. But when I see Yuna doing it, it is really beautifully elegantly broken.:p Maybe we can just call it Yuna camel...?;)

Last edited:

camion

On the Ice
Very cute & uplifting program! It's very entertaniment-driven. I still prefer the other exhibition though because it's so dramatic and strong. She should get a smaller bowler hat though, this one's covering her eyes!:laugh:

Andalusia

Final Flight
Drop the jealousy, jaejang2001. Sheesh, if this continues, we'll soon have to discount every opinion of Mao if it's expressed by a Korean.

I know it's hard to accept, but Mao is WC and Yu-Na isn't. Better luck next time.

camion

On the Ice
Hey, I'm Korean too!:laugh:
More specifically Korean, Japanese & Caucasian.
I know there are some fans that write things out of spite, but don't assume all Koreans (or Japanese) for that matter are gonna do the whole absolutist Mao vs. Yu-na bit. And besides, you're doing the exact same thing by snubbing Yu-na in that manner.

Last edited: