Quebec Turns Nose Up at McCartney Concert | Golden Skate

Quebec Turns Nose Up at McCartney Concert

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Quebec is being stubborn about hosting an upcoming FREE Paul McCartney concert that is being held in honour of its 400th birthay! Because Sir Paul is a Brit of course and Quebec is French Canadian they don't want a British rock star performing there. British Columbia is celebrating its 150th Birthday - We will gladly take a free McCartney concert if Quebec does not want to!!!

http://music.sympatico.msn.ca/McCar...ine=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False

sillylionlove

Medalist
Yeah there was an article about this on Yahoo this morning too. Who would not want a free concert from McCartney? That's just crazy!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I completely understand where Quebec is coming from. They have had some great talent come out of their area, why not use one of them??????

Alaska turned 50 this year, and we had Wynonna Judd do a free concert. Why her and not Jewel (raised in Homer, AK) or Hobo Jim (who sings songs ABOUT Alaska) is beyond me.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I completely understand where Quebec is coming from. They have had some great talent come out of their area, why not use one of them??????

Alaska turned 50 this year, and we had Wynonna Judd do a free concert. Why her and not Jewel (raised in Homer, AK) or Hobo Jim (who sings songs ABOUT Alaska) is beyond me.

No one out West understands Quebec! - (Ha Ha that is an inside joke). But then again, Quebec wants to separate from Canada, so nothing surprises us where Quebec is concerned. They can't even decide how they want to celebrate their big event. I am sure English speaking Canadians - who live in Quebec and Ontarians (who are the closet Province to Quebec) will be going to see Sir Paul.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well, I guess I'm just snooty then, but I still say it's lame to celebrate local happenings with outsiders.

Whether or not they want to seperate from Canada is irrelevant to teh celebration and not wanting some guy not even from their country (much less their province) being the guest of honor it's unreasonable or stupid...

isn't Celine Dion from that part of Canada? It'd make more sense to have her do it.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States

QUOTE]

Absolutely. An anniversary/birthday celebration should surely be a time to celebrate one's own culture, achievements, and citizens. Why bring a Brit to an area trying hard to preserve its French heritage?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm agreeing with you all here, but I'm guessing maybe the reasoning in part is "big name draw attracts attention to the event" might come into play.......42

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
well, I guess I'm just snooty then, but I still say it's lame to celebrate local happenings with outsiders.

Whether or not they want to seperate from Canada is irrelevant to teh celebration and not wanting some guy not even from their country (much less their province) being the guest of honor it's unreasonable or stupid...

isn't Celine Dion from that part of Canada? It'd make more sense to have her do it.

Yes. Celine Dion is from Montreal. I need to vent on this issue.

Quebec wouldn't want to separate from Canada. They would be running a risk of losing jobs, perks and power coming with being the majority in the federal government as well as the equalisation funds from the federal government.

Quebecois hold the majority of the federal government posts now and a lot of federal government departments have moved from Ottawa to Gatineau and Hull, Quebec to boost the Quebec economy.

If you don't speak French in federal government, you are stuck as a bottom feeder for the rest of your career. As a result, Anglophone in feds spend their work hours honing French as opposed to doing real work for the Canadians. It is just pathetic.

I support bilingualism, but not the French favouritsm. There is no need for all the silly federal servants to speak French each other, whether you are in BC or in the Rocks. It does very little to improve the quality of services the feds are supposed to provide to Canadians.

bibi

On the Ice
I live in Quebec city and actually everyone is crazy because of Paul McCartney in the moment. It's true that there has been talks about that he shouldn't come because he's British and all and all, but everyone with I've speak with are really happy of is venue to Quebec city and I'm watching his show live right now on TV and everyone is crazy, it's such a big event for Quebec city and that's all we needed for our 400th anniversary! If we would have only have a show with some Stars from Quebec as we have each year for the "St-Jean Batiste" it wouldn't have been a remembered event. But with that huge show, it sure will be remembered for a long long time and Quebec will surely gain from that!!