Sasha--Swan Lake? | Golden Skate

Sasha--Swan Lake?

ouridol

On the Ice
While browsing the Music list at TheSkateBlade.com, I saw that Sasha's name was there. I am pretty sure this information is valid, and it says that her Short program will be to Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake". I was found this...interesting..because the info hadn't even been posted over at Sasha's official site (sashacohen.com) yet. I'm not sure about this music, because it has been used over and over, but I'm sure Sasha could do a good job with it. I guess we will just have to wait and see, won't we? I am very interested to see what Long Program she uses. I have a gut feeling she will use "Rachmaninoff" again and Romeo and Juliet for her exhibition piece.

Rebecca

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Photo

Okay, this is not on topic except for the fact that it's about Sasha. I just thought this photo was so cute... I'm referring to the one of her as a little girl. Actually, if you click on the caption under that photo ("THE EARLY YEARS"), you will see more cute photos. I guess the 'tude came later!

http://www.sashacohen.com/gallery.shtml

IDLERACER

Medalist
Carmen...Malegueña...Swan Lake. Is it just me, or does everyone else get the impression that this person only skates to music that dozens of others have already skated to many times over the years? I don't know if these are her ideas or her coach's, but if you ask me, she really ought to think about discovering some composition that's never been skated to before, and claiming it for herself. After watching Fumie this past season, I've really had about enough of Swan Lake for the time being.

[url]http://www.sashacohen.com/photos/studio4.gif[/URL]

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well, for each skater who performs to the music of "Swan Lake", has been created their own choreography. So, I don´t expect to see a repetition of Baiul´s or any other skater´s choreography.

I also think that each of these skaters also have their own individual style to express that music. I´m looking forward to Sasha´s "Swan Lake" and can well imagine how wonderfully suitable that music is for her.

>Idleracer
I don't know if these are her ideas or her coach's, but if you ask me, she really ought to think about discovering some composition that's never been skated to before, and claiming it for herself.>

Actually I don´t see it as a necessity for skaters to find music which has never been skated to before. The judges have no problems with music which has been skated to earlier. Besides I think that the main thing is that the skater or the coach finds music which suits the skater perfectly.

Marjaana

Last edited:
Jaana - If it's Swan Lake, it is the same old fairy tale story. The choreography will be the same for all who use the music (except Rudy). Maybe there will be a salchow here, a flip there, a lutz at the other end of the rink. What makes it all look the same is the skaters' getting up on their toerakes and pretending they're en point. They are not! They are on toe rakes! Toerake moves are super easy but I agree they are effective. Sonia Henie made a mountain of them, and the audience went wow.

My suggestion to Sasha if she skates to Swan Lake would be to forget the fairy tale and use the soring music in the last act, and feel the music - not the story.

I was hoping she would use some original music to ice skating.

Joe

ouridol

On the Ice
I'm not really sure about Swan Lake, but I don't think it would be repetitive to use the music that someone has already done quite a few times. I think she could make it her own, as long as she puts some thought, feeling, and even a little originaliy to it. I'm not sure about you guys but I think that each skater who uses "Swan Lake" tends to do it a little bit differently. I can't wait to see how Sasha does it.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I like Sasha's skating, but I am so tired of her using overused music!! I don't care how much she makes the music her own, let's have some originality here. I am REALLY hoping she has something better for the LP. I am wondering if Phil Hersh will bash her music choices like he did Michelle Kwan's for the past two seasons.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
I hope Michelle Kwan also picks SL and takes Cohen's interpretation to task. :eek: But that's just cuz I'm feeling delivish and mischevious today. :D

oridol - I do not see many different interpretations of Swan Lake among female skaters. They all use their arms as feathery wings; they all go on to their toerakes to fake the bourees; they all feel the pain of being imprisoned, just like in the fairy tale.

Sorry, but I don't see that much difference among skaters. I would like to see a swan get away from the flock and just use the music. Much of the music to me is a bore but there are some haunting sections. Do something with them.

Again, I would like to see Sasha use music of her own.

Joe

ouridol

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
oridol - I do not see many different interpretations of Swan Lake among female skaters. They all use their arms as feathery wings; they all go on to their toerakes to fake the bourees; they all feel the pain of being imprisoned, just like in the fairy tale.

Sorry, but I don't see that much difference among skaters. I would like to see a swan get away from the flock and just use the music. Much of the music to me is a bore but there are some haunting sections. Do something with them.

Again, I would like to see Sasha use music of her own.

Joe

Joe--I guess you're right. Most people do try to become a ballerina or whatever, so I guess it would be nice for someone to just forget about the whole ballerina and just skate the music please!! I would like the skater to feel the music, though they don't nessecarily have to be a ballerina.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I notice that no one seemed to mind that Angela's music was supposed to be Swan Lake last year. All I read across this board was "Oooh, can't wait to see that!" Why is it different for Sasha? Mr. RG and I can't wait to see Sasha skate to this music. :\

Lucy25

Final Flight
Angela was supposed to use Swan Lake last year? I did not know this. Did she have a program choreographed?

OT -- ReatlorGal, thanks for the Sasha link. My all time Sasha pic is the "prom queen" on that page. Awwwww.

Mathman

RG - I'm not against Sasha using the ever popular Swan Lake. I just don't want her to become a bird like the others.

I don't remember Angela doing anything last year. Wasn/t she out with injury?

Joe

boggartlaura

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
I notice that no one seemed to mind that Angela's music was supposed to be Swan Lake last year. All I read across this board was "Oooh, can't wait to see that!" Why is it different for Sasha? Mr. RG and I can't wait to see Sasha skate to this music. :\
The differnece is that Sasha has a history of using overused music. Angela does not.

That said, I also cannot wait to see this program.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
>Jaana - If it's Swan Lake, it is the same old fairy tale story. The choreography will be the same for all who use the music (except Rudy). >

Urmanov also has skated to "Swan Lake", and it definetely looks different than that by Galindo. Each skater brings here their own personality, and in that way they perform a very different programme.

>What makes it all look the same is the skaters' getting up on their toerakes and pretending they're en point.>

I don´t agree here, because skaters anyway use same moves in their programmes, e.g. the jumps, the spins, the spirals and even about the same kind of hand gestures, and those all do not make every skating programme look the same, in my opinion.

Marjaana

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I think that Angela certainly uses "overused" music, just as much as the next skater. I think that the difference is that, other than a sort of loyal fan base, Angela is not a hyped up famous skater.

Sasha astounds me with the amount of hype she gets, both on and off the web. All of the big guns (Alexei, Plushy, MK, Irina,etc...) recieve all of the biggest criticism as well as praise, it comes with the territory. I'm sure that we could all drag up lesser discussed skaters like Andrea Gardner and start saying thier music is overused, etc...but face it, none of these skaters will be as famous, as discussed, or as looked after as someone like Sasha.