Michelle Kwan named to Official U.S. Delegation to Beijing Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan named to Official U.S. Delegation to Beijing Olympics

Well, it worked out fine for "Ahnold"...
Actually, Michelle's already in with the Gov. as a spokeperson for his Governor's Council for Fitness and Sport.
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
So we are spreading [the fitness] message with the Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports. And we are so proud that we have all these fantastic athletes who have volunteered to inspire everyone to get in shape. Athletes like Reggie Jackson, Lindsay Davenport, Jerry Rice, Michelle Kwan, Tony Hawk and many more who are going to visit schools, community groups, senior centers and more, all over the state to let everyone know that it's fun to exercise and get fit.

http://gov.ca.gov/press-release/1576/

R.D.

Record Breaker
seems she really likes the political life. Totally not my cup of tea (thinking about politics makes me want to perform a certain regurgitating action) but more power to her if that's what she wishes to do :yes:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I don't believe Michelle has a future in politics or diplomacy. In fact, I really wonder what she will end up doing.

... In fact, I really wonder what she will end up doing.
Me, too. Maybe she will increase her involvement with the East-West Bank and go into banking and financial services. Maybe she will get bit by the entrepreneur bug and try to expand the family-owned ice arena into a chain, complete with their own hockey league.

Not that she has to do anything, of course. She could just retire and live happily ever after. Somehow, though, I don't think she will. (Retire, I mean. I do think she will live happily ever after. :cool: )

John King

Final Flight
I think Michelle would hit a stumbling block:

"Yes, I'd like to speak to the Chinese President, er, what's his name?"

"Hu."

"The Chinese President."

"Hu!"

"The Chinese President, what is his name?"

"Hu is the President!"

"That is what I am asking, what is his name?"

"That is what I am answering, Hu is his name!"

"(angered) No, who is the president of China?"

"Yes, Hu is the president of China!"

Oh, you could go on and on, let's wish Michelle a good time.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Well, it worked out fine for "Ahnold"...
It did...and I'm sure I don't speak for ALL Californians when I say that many of us...

Being a state employee, I don't want to say anything that'll kick this thread into the Politics forum =P

But MK can do it!

ANd johnKing--that was HILARIOUS!!!

Last edited:

just wondering

On the Ice
^ ^ ^ Painfully funny:laugh:

Thanks for the laugh.JW

[Ooops! I was attempting to post directly following John King and a post slipped in between the quest for President Hu & my post.]

Last edited:
Yeah--that mistake sounds more presidential to me
Do you guys remember the old Johnny Carson routine when he impersonated President Reagan (you can find it on You Tube by searching for Johnny Carson Ronald Reagan 1982).

Reagan, "So, who is my Secretary of the Interior again?"

Actor playing presidential aid James Baker: "Watt."

Reagan, "What's the name of the guy who is the Secretary of the Interior?

Baker: "Yessir!"

Reagan, "No, not the PLO guy, the Secretary of the Interior.

Baker, "Watt. You're going swimming with him tommorow at the Y."

Reagan, "Where?"

Etc.

BTW, Secretary of the Interior James Watt (whose job it was to advise the President on environmental issues) believed that the end of the world was imminent and there would be no future generations, so there was no reason to conserve resources.

And when someone asked about the Interior Department's position on diversity, he famously bragged, "We've got a black, a woman, two Jews and a cripple."

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
I don't believe Michelle has a future in politics or diplomacy.

Hmm, pollitics has many level, most important IMO is a local level. Her paternal aunt is a politician involved in local CA politics. Maybe political saavy runs in the family. But maybe MK will not be involved in politics, I do see her in putlic sevice. .

n fact, I really wonder what she will end up doing.
Right now she is doing skating rink business with her family. She has always been a very serious person. Whatever she decides to do, I am sure she will give 100%. She never traded traiining time for Paris shopping sprees when she was a competitive skater, I am sure she will do her best in whatever she chooses. :)

Last edited:
Have any prominent figure skaters gone on to a career in politics?

I know Wayne Seybold is the mayor of Marion, Indiana. Seybold competed in pairs in the 1988 Olympics with his sister Kim. At the 1989 U.S. nationals they got a silver medal behind Yamaguchi and Galindo.

Any others?