Michelle Kwan named to U.S. Delegation to Beijing Olympics -- political discussion | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan named to U.S. Delegation to Beijing Olympics -- political discussion

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Michelle Kwan named to U.S. Delegation to Beijing Olympics -- political discussion

Michelle Kwan will be representing the United States at the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, China as part of the U.S. Presidential seven-member delegation.

Joining President Bush will be Secretary of State Rice, Kwan, Secretary of Labor Elaine L. Chao; Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael O. Leavitt; Clark T. Randt, Jr, the U.S. ambassador to China; U.S. Olympic committee president Peter Ueberroth; and Karen Hughes, global vice chair of Burson-Marsteller.

Article here! :clap:

Go Michelle!

Strange bedfellows, though. Burson-Marsteller is a huge global PR firm that specializes in "who you gonna call when you get caught in a public relations nightmare?" One of their clients last year was the Blackwater Corporation. This is Erik Prince's outfit -- a private paramilitary organization that had taken over a lot of the job of the militatry in Iraq, but was not subject to the kind of oversight that the real army is. Last year there was an incident where the Blackwater mercenaries killed 17 Iraqi civilians, and the Bush administration had to do some fancy stepping (with the help of Burson-Marsteller) to spin it and make it go away.

They also represented Union Carbide / Dow Chemical when a chemical plant blew up in Bhopal, India, killing 2000 people. And the goverment of Nigeria when it was accused of genicide in Biafra. Etc., etc., etc.

I wonder what exactly is their role in the Bush delegation to the Olympic games? To fend off questions about Tibet?

Last edited:
Wait a minute. Karen Hughes? She was Undersecretary of State up until last year. She was a big Bushie back in Texas for many years prior to W's election to the presidency, and she was Michelle's immediate supervisor in the State Department. Hughes went along as senior diplomat on most of Michelle's adventures last year. So now she is with Burson-Marsteller. Very interesting. :think: I guess she was just invited along for old times' sake.

emma

Record Breaker
Wait a minute. Karen Hughes? She was Undersecretary of State up until last year. She was a big Bushie back in Texas for many years prior to W's election to the presidency, and she was Michelle's immediate supervisor in the State Department. Hughes went along as senior diplomat on most of Michelle's adventures last year. So now she is with Burson-Marsteller. Very interesting. :think: I guess she was just invited along for old times' sake.

well, you beat me to it! Also, wasn't she Bush's campaign manager back in the first election or press something? Of course, this whole sordid affair makes me a bit sad that Kwan is involved....but her life, her choice, and the Olmpics are fun!

well, you beat me to it! Also, wasn't she Bush's campaign manager back in the first election or press something? Of course, this whole sordid affair makes me a bit sad that Kwan is involved....but her life, her choice, and the Olmpics are fun!
We need to start a big letter-writing campaign to whoever becomes the next President: Keep Michelle! :biggrin:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
We need to start a big letter-writing campaign to whoever becomes the next President: Keep Michelle! :biggrin:
Well, I do have to admit that
0007q7tf
looks better than
0007p6s7

emma

Record Breaker
Hey....don't forget the Green Party

If I could insert the pictures Mckinney and Michelle would look better than Nader and Michelle too!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If I could insert the pictures Mckinney and Michelle would look better than Nader and Michelle too!
I actually uploaded the picture onto my blog, and linked from GS to that.

Great pictures of the candidates!

Hey, wait a minute. Neither Obama or McCain has announced his vice presidential running mate yet...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hey, wait a minute. Neither Obama or McCain has announced his vice presidential running mate yet...
Wouldn't it be too confusing for Obama to have both the VP and wife with the same name? Though I must admit they look stunning together. (This from me, who still plans to vote McCain, though I am less excited about it than I was a few months ago.)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Sorry folks, but Michelle will not be vice-president. That would require her to take a stand on actual issues, to defend actual positions. She seems more comfortable on assignments where the only position she must defend is that she loves the whole world.

I suspect this is why she does not draw a salery in her envoy position. Mr. Bush could ask her to tell those little Argentinian children what a great idea the war is. :unsure:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It seems that though skaters have been known to vote for Bush, not many of them have been known to speak out for his policies--Dorothy Hamill went as far as going to the Republican Convention in 04, but did not comment on the administration's actions.

Of course, all the skaters are "nice" to the president. Sasha Cohen even sat with him at the Opening Ceremonies...