Thread: 2008-2009 TV coverage

Custom Title

2008-2009 TV coverage

I've been busy and out of the loop this summer. Is there any news about TV deals being made? I'm just wondering if we'll get to see any GP coverage at all.

well, NBC will not do anything but SA, and how much, I'm not sure, but it will probably like last year.

IceNetwork is completely tigtlipped about showing anything. Since they have to campaign for viewers, it's getting kind of late.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I doubt that we will see anything. It's a shame really for those of us that don't have ice network.

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I doubt that we will see anything. It's a shame really for those of us that don't have ice network.
    IceNetwork is not expensive. What is expensive is getting the computer requirements. Check it out with a friend who is a computer wiz. It maybe in reach.

I anticipate they will show the USA Regionals and Sectionals which I enjoy viewing. There are a lot of good skaters in those events (and some not so good).

Custom Title
    No ESPN coverage? :(

Well I guess I'll do what I usually do to watching the GP season: YouTube. :P

Custom Title
    Seems I did read a while back that cbcsports of Canada signed a deal for the season's GP. And there's always YouTube. but this is very disappointing for US fans - and short sighted of NBC and others as the sport builds towards the Olympics. Many fans like to keep track of the "competition" so to speak. I know I do.

merriberry - This is true. US fans wll suffer with NBC except for the Olympics. There is money to be made with sponsors for the Olys. If one of America's three Graces proves to be competitive for gold at US Nats and 2009 Worlds, there will be a surge of American interest in Figure Skating for that night of (h)oly nights. I believe once NBC finishes with the Olys, they will take a walk.

Sad. US fans did put up with the Sunday afternoon non serious comps back in the Tanya/Nancy days instead of complaining that they wanted serious comps and not the drivel which was shown. It drove casual fans away from the TV sets who did want to view a true competitive sport. JMO.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 07-26-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Does this mean all we will get is SA? What about the GP Final? I never thought it would come to this.

A synopsis of SA will be shown on NBC as will a bigger portion of US Nats, and Worlds. There has been nothing about the other GPs including the Final. Maybe somehow IceNetwork will show some. We haven't heard.

I haven't looked at all for broadcast news. Since NBC has the rights, it's possible there may be some broadcasts on USA network or Bravo.

Down With It
    If you look at Ice Network's TV schedule the NBC Disson shows have been added. I assume the competition info will be posted around Aug-Sep.

Custom Title
    Here it is almost September and no news yet. I thought some network would have at least picked up Worlds by now.

I did read that with the high ratings for the Beijing Olys, ESPN is interested in bidding on future games. Not sure there will be any trickle down effect on skating though.

I'm sure (?) that Worlds will be televised in some form by someone -- just hope the GP isn't left out entirely.

Down With It
    it worked for swimming- I hear NBC has signed on to televise swimming Nationals for the next three years, as well as Swimming Worlds next year.

If our skaters excel in Vancouver, I figure something would work out.
    Last edited by R.D.; 08-22-2008 at 04:55 PM.

NBC, let's face it. They are not interested in the Sport of any kind unless it brings in money. With that plan to show weekend Mens/Pairs and last weekend LadiesDance on the same week for 2010 Nationals will be a big test for networks to study the revenues produced. Also stadiums will consider whether they will lose money on LIVE competition.

It should all be interesting and coming soon. What they need out of Cleveland is a consensus that the winner can take on Mao and YuNa and maybe Kostner. The Weir/Lysacek rivalry should produce a big rating, and maybe give credence to a win in Mens. The Pairs will be the most exciting comp in years and the Dance will Tanith and Ben be replaced as numero uno.

Skate America which we may see some of it on TV will give a glimpse of the Cleveland Nats.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    Here it is almost September and no news yet. I thought some network would have at least picked up Worlds by now.

I did read that with the high ratings for the Beijing Olys, ESPN is interested in bidding on future games. Not sure there will be any trickle down effect on skating though.

I'm sure (?) that Worlds will be televised in some form by someone -- just hope the GP isn't left out entirely.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe NBC has secured TV broadcasting rights for the 2009 Worlds in LA. To the best of my knowledge, no details of hours of coverage have been given as yet.

I believe NBC is also doing Skate America and Nationals (?).

I'm getting really nervous, tho' about coverage in the USA for the other GP events.