Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir Wins Readers' Choice Award

Custom Title

Johnny Weir Wins Readers' Choice Award

Johnny Weir wins SKATING Magazine 2008 Readers' Choice Skater of the Year Award.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=41669

Congrats, Johnny!! Well deserved!

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Sweet jesus.
    Congratulations indeed!
    /speechless, jaw dropped/

Custom Title
    How lovely! Congratulations, Johnny! They chose well.

The award is definitely a popular one and Johnny is arguably the most popular skater in the world. What makes it interesting for me is that it is sponsored by Skating Magazine, an arm of the USFS. Has the USFS eased off Johnny's private life?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The award is definitely a popular one and Johnny is arguably the most popular skater in the world. What makes it interesting for me is that it is sponsored by Skating Magazine, an arm of the USFS. Has the USFS eased off Johnny's private life?
    Or maybe this was the first year he actually received the most votes.

Quote Originally Posted by rmaap1 View Post
    Or maybe this was the first year he actually received the most votes.
    Well, the poll was supposed to be about, "who do you think had the best year." Since Johnny was the only U.S. skater to win a medal at Worlds, it is natural enough that a lot of folks thought he was the one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Was the USFS really that interested in his private life, or did he choose to make his private life public with what he said and did? Congrats to Johnny. He needed this award more than the others so I'm happy for him.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Yay for Johnny!!!! I just hope next season is as good as last season. I knew he could do it and that's why I always would get upset with him.

Dee

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    well deserved. I thought he or else Marai would get it. I assume this is his first?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi View Post
    Was the USFS really that interested in his private life, or did he choose to make his private life public with what he said and did? .
    Meaning?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by libby View Post
    Meaning?
    My question is obviously a question for the person that brought it up. It means what it says. Was the USFSA interested in his life before, or after, he made all the public statements and actions....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi View Post
    My question is obviously a question for the person that brought it up. It means what it says. Was the USFSA interested in his life before, or after, he made all the public statements and actions....
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand at all. What "public statements and actions" did Johnny make that would justify the USFSA becoming interested in his private life?

It doesn't seem like a skater's "private life" would be USFSA's business, and I'm just not getting what you are saying. How could Johnny have made his private life their business by anything he said or did, and more importantly, exactly what is it that you are trying to say that he did?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    well deserved. I thought he or else Marai would get it. I assume this is his first?
    Yes, it's his first. Here's a list of winners:

2008 Johnny Weir
    2007 Miami University
    2006 Kimmie Meissner
    2005 Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto
    2004 Sasha Cohen, Haydenettes
    2003 Michelle Kwan
    2002 Michelle Kwan
    2001 Michelle Kwan
    2000 Michael Weiss
    1999 Michelle Kwan
    1998 Michelle Kwan
    1997 Tara Lipinski
    1996 Michelle Kwan
    1995 Todd Eldredge
    1994 Michelle Kwan
    1993 Scott Davis
    1992 Paul Wylie
    1991 Tonya Harding
    1990 Jill Trenary
    1989 Kristi Yamaguchi

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, the poll was supposed to be about, "who do you think had the best year." Since Johnny was the only U.S. skater to win a medal at Worlds, it is natural enough that a lot of folks thought he was the one.
    Nicely observed!

I really think that he deserved this award - and I am happy that lots of others thought so too!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by libby View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand at all. What "public statements and actions" did Johnny make that would justify the USFSA becoming interested in his private life?

It doesn't seem like a skater's "private life" would be USFSA's business, and I'm just not getting what you are saying. How could Johnny have made his private life their business by anything he said or did, and more importantly, exactly what is it that you are trying to say that he did?

Maybe you should do some Johnny research to see what I mean. I was just responding to the comment made. You might find some interesting stuff. Happy websurfing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast