Johnny Weir Wins Readers' Choice Award | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Wins Readers' Choice Award

The award is definitely a popular one and Johnny is arguably the most popular skater in the world. What makes it interesting for me is that it is sponsored by Skating Magazine, an arm of the USFS. Has the USFS eased off Johnny's private life?

rmaap1

Rinkside
The award is definitely a popular one and Johnny is arguably the most popular skater in the world. What makes it interesting for me is that it is sponsored by Skating Magazine, an arm of the USFS. Has the USFS eased off Johnny's private life?

Or maybe this was the first year he actually received the most votes.

Or maybe this was the first year he actually received the most votes.
:laugh: Well, the poll was supposed to be about, "who do you think had the best year." Since Johnny was the only U.S. skater to win a medal at Worlds, it is natural enough that a lot of folks thought he was the one. :clap:

Fossi

Final Flight

Was the USFS really that interested in his private life, or did he choose to make his private life public with what he said and did? Congrats to Johnny. He needed this award more than the others so I'm happy for him.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yay for Johnny!!!! :agree: :clap: :clap: I just hope next season is as good as last season. I knew he could do it and that's why I always would get upset with him.

Dee

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well deserved. I thought he or else Marai would get it. I assume this is his first?

Fossi

Final Flight

My question is obviously a question for the person that brought it up. It means what it says. Was the USFSA interested in his life before, or after, he made all the public statements and actions....

libby

Match Penalty
My question is obviously a question for the person that brought it up. It means what it says. Was the USFSA interested in his life before, or after, he made all the public statements and actions....

I'm sorry, but I don't understand at all. What "public statements and actions" did Johnny make that would justify the USFSA becoming interested in his private life? :scratch:

It doesn't seem like a skater's "private life" would be USFSA's business, and I'm just not getting what you are saying. How could Johnny have made his private life their business by anything he said or did, and more importantly, exactly what is it that you are trying to say that he did?

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
well deserved. I thought he or else Marai would get it. I assume this is his first?

Yes, it's his first. Here's a list of winners:

2008 Johnny Weir
2007 Miami University
2006 Kimmie Meissner
2005 Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto
2004 Sasha Cohen, Haydenettes
2003 Michelle Kwan
2002 Michelle Kwan
2001 Michelle Kwan
2000 Michael Weiss
1999 Michelle Kwan
1998 Michelle Kwan
1997 Tara Lipinski
1996 Michelle Kwan
1995 Todd Eldredge
1994 Michelle Kwan
1993 Scott Davis
1992 Paul Wylie
1991 Tonya Harding
1990 Jill Trenary
1989 Kristi Yamaguchi

Medusa

Record Breaker
:laugh: Well, the poll was supposed to be about, "who do you think had the best year." Since Johnny was the only U.S. skater to win a medal at Worlds, it is natural enough that a lot of folks thought he was the one. :clap:

Nicely observed!

I really think that he deserved this award - and I am happy that lots of others thought so too!:rock:

Fossi

Final Flight
I'm sorry, but I don't understand at all. What "public statements and actions" did Johnny make that would justify the USFSA becoming interested in his private life? :scratch:

It doesn't seem like a skater's "private life" would be USFSA's business, and I'm just not getting what you are saying. How could Johnny have made his private life their business by anything he said or did, and more importantly, exactly what is it that you are trying to say that he did?

Maybe you should do some Johnny research to see what I mean. I was just responding to the comment made. You might find some interesting stuff. Happy websurfing.

libby

Match Penalty
Maybe you should do some Johnny research to see what I mean. I was just responding to the comment made. You might find some interesting stuff. Happy websurfing.

It's not necessary for me to do any research about Johnny, Fossi - I am quite familiar with him, thank you very much. :laugh:

I can't help but wonder why you are so afraid to say in so many words exactly what you are implying? Your "response" to the comment made doesn't really make sense - someone suggested that the USFS has discriminated against Johnny based on his "private life" (yes, we are dancing around saying it, but we all know that is a euphemism for his presumed sexual orientation), and you responded by suggesting that he brought such discrimination upon himself by making USFS interested in his "private life" by "the things he said and did" without saying what those things were.

Numerous requests asking you what you mean are only met with further obfuscating replies of "you should do some research" and "it is obvious what I mean" - why not just say what you meant? What actions and words of Johnny's exactly do you believe caused the USFS to become justifiably interested in his "private life" and discriminate against him on that basis?

I'm sorry to be blunt, but the more you dance around giving a straight answer, the more it sounds like your point is that Johnny just doesn't act "straight" enough and so it is his own fault that the USFS has a problem with him, but you know better than to come right out and say that.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I'm sorry to be blunt, but the more you dance around giving a straight answer, the more it sounds like your point is that Johnny just doesn't act "straight" enough and so it is his own fault that the USFS has a problem with him, but you know better than to come right out and say that.

I didn't get the feeling that Fossi meant his private life, but more the remarks in interviews etc.

And if he did mean his private life - then I don't really understand it, because to be honest, we don't know anything about Johnny's private life. We only know what he wanted the world to know - and that has rarely been connected to his private life. I don't consider remarks about drugs, or "provocative" (I didn't think so, but others apparently did) photo shootings, or reports about shopping, or parties, or the design of his costumes, or his clothes in general, or modeling - as part of someone's private life, or as an important part of someone's private life.

I never really got what was so scandalous about Johnny. His coaching situation always seemed very stable, mature - no reports about trouble, no mercurial outbreaks, when he ended his collaboration with Hill he did it in style and now maintains a close relationship with his former coach. In contrast to other skaters this story is absolutely harmless and boring, Timothy Goebel's coaching changes were much more interesting, Lambiel was basically fired by Grütter in 2004 (well covered in the European press)...

There have never been any scandalous photographs (e.g. him involved in a huge orgy), he has never sued an ex-girlfriend because she told the press that he was gay, there have never been any reports about him partying too much or with too much alcohol, he never got kicked off the COI-tour, he never had a DUI...

He seems to love his family and seems to be loyal to them, he respects and honours his teachers and mentors, he seems to be a rather fair sportsman, he is honest and it seems that he is trying to stay true to himself, he is tolerant and has lots of different and diverse interests, he is considerate and appreciates his fans. He seems to a responsible person and is control of his private life (because I don't think we ever got to hear anything about him / his family / private life he didn't want the world to know).

I think that he doing pretty well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t know whether USFSA has a problem with Weir or not, but from various threads I have gotten the impression that overprotective ueberfans tend to see him as a victim whatever is happening or is not happening... I personally had a problem though as I saw Weir appearing in photos wearing women´s high heeled shoes and having a make-up to make him look like a girl. In my opinion that was not a good idea for any male skater to do.

During years Weir also has expressed some thoughtless remarks in interviews, the latest in this year. It went something like "I don´t care who is on the US team as long as I´m there". Anyway, he is not alone, some other skaters have been quilty of thoughtless remarks, too, LOL.

Last edited:

calica

Final Flight
Excuse me for the question, but it´s a american prizes for american (US) skaters, no?? :frown2:
I mean, how is possible that Johnny has not won before? There aren´t so many high-level American skaters .....

Last edited: