Nebelhorn Trophy | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy

sorcerer

Final Flight
30 hours after my post Nobu himself wrote on his fanboard that he's going to Nebelhorn Trophy.

He also wrote about the Ice Net interview that he didn't say he plans to do a quad in his SP, that it was about the LP he was talking.
He says he's now in Toronto to have Lori modify his program.
So he's not in Andorra.

If it's like the last season, Kostner, Lepisto, Sebestyen, Glegova, .., .., ..would participate.

Last season no one from Asia, but this year Nobu participates.
I'm looking forward to seeing Akiko Suzuki or Yukina Ota there. I'm not sure if the JSF can afford expenses for giving the maximum chance for every skater, though.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
The official site is already on the web, but the entries are not yet disclosed.
http://www.eislauf-union.de/NebelhornTrophy2008.html

But I've heard that Nobu will be sent there by the JSF.
Any other known entries already?

Well since the closing date is "only" the 4th of august we will have to wait a bit longer for the official lists. Also the number of entries is limited to 20 ladies & men, 16 dance teams and 15 pairs. however last year the german entries were not counted as part of the quota and 24 ladies were initial on the entry list.

Here is what I heard is planning to come

Savchenko / Szolkowy GER
Vartmann / Just GER
Hermann / Hermann GER
Zhiganshina / Gaszi GER
Annette Dytrt GER
Philipp Tischendorf GER
Tomas Varner GER
Viktor Pfeiffer AUT

GBR will be sending

Phillipa Towler-Green / Phillip Poole
Christina Chitwood / Mark Hanretty
http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/2137

Last edited:

Okami

On the Ice
I'm planning to attend Nebelhorn Trophy this year - probably my only chance to personally wish Nobunari best of luck. However, I'm a bit afraid that I will not be able to afford the entire thing; I'm still a student and my funds are severely limited. Has anyone attended Nebelhorn Trophy last year..? Any info about ticket prices and available accommodation would be very much appreciated!

Sackie

Medalist
If this is like in past years where some of the top Euro ladies compete to gain points I feel sorry for Myriane. It won't be a good way for her to start into seniors. She could find herself way down in the standings. On the other hand she may go here with little to no expectations and skate great but even then she won't be able to come close to the ladies already mentioned.

nadster

Final Flight

Joey Russell is the other Canadian going to Nebelhorn.

It will be interesting to see if one of them does well enough to get the yet unfilled 3rd Canadian Skate Canada spot or if it will just be given to Sawyer. I don't think they'll make a decision until Sawyer finishes Skate America. For any of these guys , landing a triple axel will go a long way to securing that Skate Canada spot ( none of these guys have a consistent triple axel yet).

A little surprising that Andreev did not get the trip. I have not seen his name for summer competitions either. He has a fairly consistent triple axel and gets good PCS scores as well.

As for dance, Canada won't decide who goes until after the summer competitions are over.

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A little surprising that Andreev did not get the trip. I have not seen his name for summer competitions either. He has a fairly consistent triple axel and gets good PCS scores as well.

I've heard from a friend of a friend of Fedor's that he's currently having second thoughts about continuing his competitive career. He's seriously considering quitting the sport. Despite his claims of not having any expectations for himself at this year's Nationals, he really wanted to make the national team, and that 8th place finish seemed to hurt his motivation.

It's true that Fedor would've been Skate Canada's first choice due to his consistent triple axel and good PCS (it was the 3rd highest in both the SP and LP at Nats), but if he's undecided about his future, then obviously they'll give the other Nebelhorn spot to the next best candidate.

I'm seriously depressed by this news. I LOVE Fedor's skating, and I was keeping my fingers crossed these past few months, hoping that he would earn the 3rd Skate Canada International spot. That's obviously not going to happen now. :frown: :cry:

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Thanks siberia82. That explains everything regarding Fedor.

Jeremy and Joey are the best options available if Fedor can't go for whatever reason.

If Fedor decides to quit, I will miss his skating, but will be happier if he is happy with his decision either way.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If Fedor decides to quit, I will miss his skating, but will be happier if he is happy with his decision either way.

If his heart isn't in it, then Fedor should hang up his skates. But there's a part of me that wonders if he isn't taking the disappointment a little too harshly. Considering that his PCS is in pretty good shape, he's a shoo-in for a bronze medal finish at the 2009 Nats. The flaws we saw in his programs are relatively easy to fix; he just needs to up his levels and learn how to maximize points under the CoP system. If Fedor can overcome those obstacles, he'll grind Shawn, Vaughn and Chris to dust.

I don't know if this vid has been shared before, but in case it hasn't, take a look at his gorgeous triple axel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcTPXS39XVQ It was filmed in May, so clearly he still has a lot to offer.

If Fedor leaves the sport, I sincerely hope it's because he doesn't enjoy it anymore, not because he's sorely disappointed by one competition. That just doesn't seem right, somehow. :no:

Last edited:

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
I
I had thought this post needless, but since the entry list seems like never coming....

http://www.deu-event.de/results/Nebelhorn_2008/index.html

What did you expect we are talking about the German skating federation :rofl: it took them the best part of 3 months to get the skater bios for the new team envelopes online and there were only a handfull of new bios to create. I wouldn't expect any list g before the end of the month.:chorus: By the way the website is usually updated late on Tuesdays or very early on Wednesday morning.

nadster

Final Flight
Completely surprised that Chong/Gfeller did not get one of the Canadian spots. They have beaten Lamoureux/Mee handily both in Lake Placid and Quebec and have outscored the scores of Karam/O'Keefe and McCurdy/Coreno in Thornhill by wide margins.

As SC usually uses this event as the skateoff for the 3rd SC spot, it seems silly that our most in-form dance team over the summer is on the outside looking in.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Entries have been published:

Team USA ['08 Nationals results included]:
Alissa Czisny [S9], Chrissy Hughes [S14]
Scott Smith [S6], Dennis Phan [S10]
Caitlin Yankowskas/John Coughlin [S6], Caydee Denney/Jeremy Barrett [new team that skated well at Indy Challenge]
Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates [S4], Jane Summersett/Todd Gilles [S6]

Entries have been published:

Team USA ['08 Nationals results included]:
Alissa Czisny [S9], Chrissy Hughes [S14]
Scott Smith [S6], Dennis Phan [S10]
Caitlin Yankowskas/John Coughlin [S6], Caydee Denney/Jeremy Barrett [new team that skated well at Indy Challenge]
Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates [S4], Jane Summersett/Todd Gilles [S6]

Some big names listed here but mostly from Europe.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Completely surprised that Chong/Gfeller did not get one of the Canadian spots. They have beaten Lamoureux/Mee handily both in Lake Placid and Quebec and have outscored the scores of Karam/O'Keefe and McCurdy/Coreno in Thornhill by wide margins.

As SC usually uses this event as the skateoff for the 3rd SC spot, it seems silly that our most in-form dance team over the summer is on the outside looking in.

I agree. SC didn't send Lacoste either. I am having a hard time understanding what goes through the collective mind of SC folks.

Lacoste doesn't flutz; she has a powerful loop and she can string half-decent SP and LP together. Her downfall is her nagging injuries.

Samson flutzes; she seems to underrotate flips and she has a notable consistency of blowing apart under the pressure. She had a major injuries during 2004-2006 season, but got past that.

I have to admit that l'm a bit disappointed with the Canadian entry in the ladies' field.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Lacoste doesn't flutz; she has a powerful loop and she can string half-decent SP and LP together. Her downfall is her nagging injuries.

I think they may have tried to enter her after the summer competitions, but since the closing date for Nebelhorn was August 4th, and the already huge amount of entries they may not have been able too. I think there is a substitute list though.

This morning Philipp Tischendorf and Matthews & Gislason were on the lists, but at lunchtime there names were gone and instead we had the men and dance team of switzerland on the lists.

Hopefully SC has now decided to enter a team at Merano Cup...it has senior too, Finlandia or Schaefer Cup.