Anyone have news about Katy Taylor? | Golden Skate

Anyone have news about Katy Taylor?

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Is she going to be competing this season? How is she doing health wise? I haven't heard any updates probably since Nationals and I'm just wondering how she is and what her plans are.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The last I heard about Katy was from the same source you did; that article several months ago; I believe January. And before that, she took the early part of the 07 - 08 season off due to a foot injury. Since then, I've heard zero. No articles, no reports, no pictures, no nothing.

I spoke with a couple of partnerless skaters who said she won't skate Pairs. I wish she would. She would be, imo, perfect for that division.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Last I heard, Katy had graduated from high school and was in the process of getting back into skating shape and preparing for a possible comeback this season at SW Regionals without much public fuss or fanfare.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update, Sylvia. That's the first real news I've read in quite some time. I hope she makes a splash at regionals, which can't be more than 2 or 3 months away. :eek: I have been looking for an article on her graduation, but couldn't find any.

dutchherder

Final Flight
She is scheduled to perform at Skate for Hope on August 31 in Columbus, OH. I'll be attending, so I can let you know how she looks....

lcd

Match Penalty
Sounds like with a healthy body, healthy mind, less pressure and a sense of fun - she'll hopefully have a lot of reasons for people to support her comeback.

Pairs is also a great suggestion - as she seems to have the size and sparkle to really make an impact... would need to find some guy willing/able to pull of a side-by-side triple lutz though :love: as that always seemed to be her "money" jump.

We're rooting for you Katy.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
http://figureskatersonline.com/extras_summerseries.html#2008_questions
[Katy:] "My plans for the summer are to go to the beach, practice my tennis, and of course to keep training hard for next season. I also want to go to New York City to see the Broadway show Grease."
I just checked out the link above and want to point out that Katy's answer (quoted above) was from FSO's 2007 summer series of questions.

I'm glad to hear she will be back competing this season.
Nothing is for certain yet -- we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
If you go to http://www.skatingcircle.com/ , which appears to be a new skating web page, and do a video search for "Katy", a video comes up of Katy skating in the Skate For Hope show. I don't know which year. The problem is that I can't get the video to play.

I've never used this icon before....... :banging:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if she is still saving for her pink hummer??

Dee

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I went to the Skate for Hope web page and found some pictures of cast members. http://www.skateforhope.org/Stars .html There is one shot of Katy. I don't know if it was taken this year or last year, but she looks to be at or near competition shape.

She mentioned in last year's summer series questions that she didn't want to be so pale. She must be working on that because I think I see a tan line.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Katy performed in one previous "Skate For Hope" show (late Sept. 2007).

I wonder if she is still saving for her pink hummer??
From the now archived January 24, 2008 Houston Chronicle article on Katy Taylor: http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2008_4500686
She's given up her dream of buying a hot pink Hummer - "I look back now and ask, `Why did I want that?'" she said, laughing - and is comfortable driving her grandmother's white Buick.

Last edited:

JClairUSF

Spectator
I really hope she comes back this year! Her Forrest Gump program at 2006 4CC made me into a HUGE fan! I've always loved that piece of music and her skate was absolutely breathtaking!

She might have a rough time trying to keep up with the current crop of US ladies, but I really hope she's up to the challenge!