That Night -- 1998 Olympic Ladies FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

That Night -- 1998 Olympic Ladies FS

gocaroline

On the Ice
:agree: Thanks for saying exactly what I was trying to figure why I always feel something is lacking with Tara's skating! I think I would enjoy more of her skating if she had the chance to fully develop the artistry and polish.
agree with the above poster who said that there was a definite difference in Michelle's skating (to win rather than for the sheer joy of skating), and it always seems like when she is in that position, her skates lack the "wow" factor that they normally have. Although Tara won, and as they say "it's tough to top an Olympic gold medal", I would have loved to have seen her stay on the circuit longer... not for more medals, but so that the rest of her skating (save the jumps) could have developed and been more mature. The 1998 Oly LP was like watching a Novice skater with difficult jumps, I think something we have become even more used to seeing now with the little jumping beans. Mao Asada had beyond Tara's jumping ability at the same age and she has matured so much in the last few years that, in my opinion, she has become a real artist with maturity. I would have liked to see Tara have gone through the same transformation before retiring her skates.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Laetitia Hubert of France had high hopes after beating Tara Lipinski in Trophee Lalique earlier that year, but with a disasterous short, she was in the 2nd group. She managed to land the opening triple lutz in her program (2foot), but doubled and stepped out of the loop that immediately followed the lutz. The salchow that followed after was also doubled. Although her spins and footwork had very unique positions (sometimes the uniqueness took away from the aesthetics, in my opinion), she had pretty good edging. It seems that the air positions were off for her, since she singled the axel and just doubled everything. After the triple toe loop attempt, the commentator (Australian) said--I think she just wants to go home. Her layback would've made Dick Button cringe. She didn't even hold her ending pose.

Is this the performance where Hubert lost all her motivation at the middle of the performance and didn't even hold her check positions when she failed her landings? Yuka Sato was doing commentary at this event at the Japanese broadcast and she was like, "This is a shameful attitude of hers as an Olympian." Although I totally understand Hubert's dissapointment and frustration, I must agree with Yuka. It would be nice if skaters keep making efforts until the last moment even when their performances have not gone in the ways they wanted. Many figure skating coaches are pretty strict in terms of manners, courtesy, and respect to the audience and those who have supported the skaters. Dancers would practice the bow and the coaches would stress the feelings involved in it. I think that those kinds of things are very important in dance performances.

I took your suggestion--I actually watched the two side by side, and those who've said that her nationals performance was better are right. Michelle was so tentative in Nagano that she was even slightly behind her music. It's like being a great comedian, but your timing being just a hair off...
But now try watching them side by side with the music off. I can hardly tell the difference.

At U.S. Nationals not only is she skating to the music better, but the crowd is going crazy for her thoughout the performance, which also contributes to our evaluation.

taf2002

Rinkside
I don't think she actually started jumping and screaming until after she saw her marks. Obviously she looked happy after her performance, but she didn't freak out until she saw that she was placed above Michelle.

Coming out of lurkdom to say Tara did react way before she saw her scores. She hardly had any ending pose before she started shrieking and running across the ice.

It is still hard for me not to be bitter about Nagano. If those Olys were "a business trip for the Kwans", it sure was a "photo op" for Tara. For the 2 wks before the ladies' FS, we got to hear how Tara was joyfully playing without a care in the world, while sobersides Michelle was missing out on the joy of the Olys, even missing the opening ceremony...no mention was made of her staying in the US for more therapy on her foot. With such a media blitz, (Mike Berg was a genius) it's no surprise that some judges and some fans were influenced the way they were.

Michelle was not required to skate Lyra Angelica identically to her Nats performance to win Oly gold...she was required to skate better than her competitors at that competition. IMO, she did.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Michelle was not required to skate Lyra Angelica identically to her Nats performance to win Oly gold...she was required to skate better than her competitors at that competition. IMO, she did.

Thank you.

moviechick

On the Ice
Coming out of lurkdom to say Tara did react way before she saw her scores. She hardly had any ending pose before she started shrieking and running across the ice.

She was 15 years old going to the Olympics not expecting to win and just skated like that. She obviously was pretty excited, but the screaming and jumping came when she saw her 2nd marks. If you go by their reactions before marks came up, even Michelle was crying WAY before the scores came up. She didn't fall or anything so I think we can assume they were "good" tears.

Mafke

Medalist
Nagano ladies was one of those competitions where there's no one definitive 'right' result and any result will be controversial for some. That is both Lipinski over Kwan and Kwan over Lipinski are defensible positions. Both were far ahead of the pack (like Orser/Boitano in Calgary or GG/DM in Lillehammer). The eventual winner was just the result of how the judges at that particular competiion scored it, and a different panel could come up with a different result.

I personally enjoyed Kwan's LP more but there is a difference between personal enjoyment and determining which was a better program. If I were a judge I don't know which I'd choose (Lipinski delivered harder jump content Kwan had generally better everything else).

I don't know if being 'slow' hurt Kwan as much as the wonky flip (as I keep saying the flip seems to go wrong more than any other triple in world level elite competition it really should get as many points as a lutz).

heyang

Record Breaker
I think it was 98 when my friend said that the Oly's were the wettest she's ever scene. I think some of the skaters cried from the relief of skating well - such as Michelle. I didn't see her tear as joyous, but as those of relief from the pressure. 98 was her 1st Oly's and she was the front runner. She did not want to disappoint herself or her family or her friends or Frank by putting in a sub-par performance.

The commentators did say that MK's performance was a gold winning one as compared to past Oly winners, who also skated restrained.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
But now try watching them side by side with the music off. I can hardly tell the difference.

QUOTE]

Thank you, MM. I dug out my tapes today and stand by my earlier comment that there's not this huge difference between the performances. But it's subjective, of course, and obviously anyone's mileage may vary. Still, though, regardless of Michelle's performance at Nats, I thought hers was the gold winner at Nagano.

But I can totally understand those who feel Lipinski was the winner. Solid, solid performances from both ladies. And I really enjoyed Tara's skating that week in ways that I hadn't before, so she was definitely delivering some magic of her own.

I was actively skating and taking lessons at the time, and my group lesson was the day after the LP. Boy, did we all have fun debating Tara vs. Michelle!

As to their post-skate reactions, Michelle was in tears as she was exiting the ice and long before her scores came up, as was Tara, but Michelle seemed more in shock or awestruck or something and Tara more celebratory. I certainly don't think there was anything wrong with Tara's reaction, but I do think she came across with more, "yes, I'm the winner, touch that" attitude than did Michelle. It's a smart attitude to have.

Finally, I agree with taf2002 in wondering how much of that "Tara's just here enjoying her Oly experience" was real and how much hype. I am quite sure she was doing everything she could to enjoy the experience, but I also think that was the angle her "people" wanted to play. And I don't think Tara took her eyes off the prize for a second. Again, that's a good trait to have if you want to win! But I don't think she was this completely carefree tot there just to have a good time.

Tara was certainly considered a strong contender for the gold. No way was she "not expecting to win." A lot of folks were betting on Kwan, but plenty, including Scott Hamilton, put their money on Tara before the comp even started.

Definitely count me among those who would've loved it if Tara could've continued skating so we could all have seen what she could have become as a mature artist. I do think she stepped up her presentation exponentially for the Oly season, showing a hint of what she might have done. Really a shame about her physical problems.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
My old ballet teacher used to say, after we had watched these two performances, that Michelle's was more "high" art, whereas Tara's was more "pop" art. Less people found Lyra accessible because it was more on the ranks of...Kiri Te Kanawa, whereas The Rainbow was more along the ranks of Mandy Moore. I don't know if I would agree, but that is how she put it.

MM, you might be on to something there. The crowd certainly helped Michelle in '98 Nats--and I remember in '98, skating analysts were warning skaters that Japanese audiences aren't as boisterous as they're used to.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Olympics of 1998 and 2002  saw the gold medals go to ladies who went all out in the FS...We saw inspired, record-breaking performances.  (So great that we are still pontificating about them.)  Then along came 2006 Olympics....  Arakawa was as fine a skater as either of the two previous gold medalists,  but she skated late in the FS skate order.  Her closest rivals skated earlier, and less-than-stellar.  Shizuka just relaxed (if that's possible at O's) and won without taking chances with the high-risk combos.  Alas, she won with a beautiful, but toned-down 5-triple program.  It is said that in practices and warm-ups she was throwing 3/3's and even 3/3/3's.  What a shame that we didn't get to see her skate to her utmost ability, a la Tara's and Sarah's earlier gold medal performances.    But just wait....Vancouver lies ahead!  I'm predicting it will be a record-breaking, spectacular ladies' event.  With all of the focus on Yu Na and Mao, I'm thinking that the svelte,  speed demon from Italy could race and jump to the gold in 2010!  (Judges never seem reluctant to reward her efforts with high marks. And she never seems to get caught in political cross-fire!) Notwithstanding, I look for it to be another record breaker!

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Arakawa was as fine a skater as either of the two previous gold medalists,  but she skated late in the FS skate order.  Her closest rivals skated earlier, and less-than-stellar.  Shizuka just relaxed (if that's possible at O's) and won without taking chances with the high-risk combos. 

Actually the freeskate start order was this:

http://www.isufs.org/results/owg2006/SEG004.HTM

19. Gedevanishvili
20. Cohen
21. Arakawa
22. Suguri
23. Meissner
24. Slutskaya

I cannot see Arakawa being able to do much relaxing with Slutskaya as the last to skate, LOL. The result after short programme:

http://www.isufs.org/results/owg2006/SEG003.HTM

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
But just wait....Vancouver lies ahead!  I'm predicting it will be a record-breaking, spectacular ladies' event.  With all of the focus on Yu Na and Mao, I'm thinking that the svelte,  speed demon from Italy could race and jump to the gold in 2010!  (Judges never seem reluctant to reward her efforts with high marks. And she never seems to get caught in political cross-fire!) Notwithstanding, I look for it to be another record breaker!

Vancouver should be very exciting indeed. I am not one to predict because you just don't what will happen, but your scenario is entirely possible and I have to admit that it has crossed my mind more than once.

Just my preference, but I enjoyed Arakawa's winning performance in 2006 better than either Sarah's or Tara's. To me, Shizuka's control and maturity of expression made the other two look slap-dash by comparison.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Just my preference, but I enjoyed Arakawa's winning performance in 2006 better than either Sarah's or Tara's. To me, Shizuka's control and maturity of expression made the other two look slap-dash by comparison.

Yes, I agree totally. I loved Arakawa´s "Turandot" (both in 2004 Worlds and 2006 Olympics and have rewatched it many times.